When Pigasso Met Mootisse by Nina Laden

When Pigasso Met Mootisse (1998)

by Nina Laden

I love this "Moosterpiece" of a work by Nina Laden, and I would so enjoy using with children who have been introduced to Picasso and Matisse in an art history unit. I would want the kids to create their own works in the style of either "Pigcasso" or "Mootise", and share with the class about what makes each piece Pigcassian or Mootisian. While the book paints a very friendly version of Picasso and Matisse's rivalry, I'm not entirely sure how accurately it represents the relationship. Still, I enjoyed it!

I'm going to dump this url here so that I can come back to it later:

The above compares Picasso's relationship with Matisse to Stravinsky's relationship with Schoenberg. ( )
  Desirichter | Jul 29, 2014 |
I liked this book, especially the illustrations. I loved how the illustrations surrounding Pigasso were angular like his artistic style, and the illustrations for Mootise were softer like his artistic style. I found myself giggling at the illustrations in the book depicting when Mootise and Pigasso engage in a paint war. I also enjoyed the puns in the book such as "bullheaded" and "pigheaded". The big idea of the story is that we can be friends with people whos views differ from our own if we concentrate on the things we have in common and respect the differences. ( )
  Tammie14 | Dec 8, 2013 |
This book tells the story of two artist Pigasso (Picasso) and Mootsie (Matisse). He tells how they became famous as artists and moved out to the country. They started to hate each others work and had a fight. They ended up becoming friends again and created a masterpiece on their fence. ( )
  cbrandt | Apr 26, 2012 |
Summary: Pigasso and Mootise are really famous painters with their own unique styles. They end up moving out to the country because the fame is becoming too much and they just want to paint, and this is when they meet. At first, they are friendly, but then a rivalry begins and each attacks the art of the other. They each try to make their own art seem superior, and end up making a fence between their houses. But then they find that they miss each other do they reconcile and become great friends who respect the work of each other.
Genre Critique: This is an excellent example of fantasy, because while the characters are based on real life artists, the fact that they are talking, painting animals is completely unrealistic. However, the outstanding art and really fun, crazy story line make it so that the reader in no way focuses on the fact that it is not actually possible.
Style: I really enjoyed the authors use of play on words, changing artist names and art terms into words that related to the story, like "pork of art" instead of work of art. It made it a really enjoyable read that could start conversations in young children about art terminology and artists.
Media: Gouache ( )
  speedcourtney | Oct 21, 2011 |
Tired of being surrounded by fans, Pigasso and Mootisse move to a quieter place and become neighbors. The two artists at first are friendly to one another, but they soon become very competitve and critical of each other's work. By building a fence between their house, the pair learn that they miss the other and are able to accept one another becoming life long friends. This book is based off the true story about the famous artists Hemri Matisse and Pablo Picasso. ( )
  ebruno | Jul 14, 2011 |
For my friends and Avant-Guardian Angels. With special thanks to Leslie Harris. -- N. L.

When Pigasso met Mootisse, what begins as a neighborly overture escalates into a mess. Before you can say paint-by-numbers, the two artists become fierce rivals, calling each other names and ultimately building a fence between them. But when the two painters paint opposite sides of the fence that divides them, they unknowingly create a modern art masterpiece, and learn it is their friendship that is the true work of art.
Nina Laden's wacky illustrations complement this funny story that non only introduces children to two of the world's most extraordinary modern artists, but teaches a very important lesson‐how to creatively resolve a conflictin a most unusual way.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:48 -0400)

Pigasso, a talented pig, and Mootisse, an artistic bull, live across the road from one another, but when conflicts arise they build fences that ultimately become modern art masterpieces. Includes biographies of the real-life artists, Henri Matisse and Pablo Picasso.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,116,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible