When Pigasso Met Mootisse by Nina Laden

When Pigasso Met Mootisse (1998)

by Nina Laden

"When Pigasso met Mootisee" was a very enjoyable book. The main idea of this book was to inform readers about the story of Picasso and Matisse. This book provided children the history of how the two famous artists became well known and friends. One of the reasons I enjoyed this book was how the author took a concept and made it relatable to kids by using animals such as pigs and cows. If the story would have been the real Picasso it might not have been so enjoyable for them. Another reason I enjoyed the book was because of the bright, vibrant illustrations. This made it very appealing to the eye. The illustrations included pictures detailed with bright yellow, pink, and green. It also really showcased how Picasso's art was. Lastly, I enjoyed how it also touched on the idea of friendship. In the story, Pigasso and Mootisee get into a fight. They overcome there fight and appreciate one another. This is a great model for children and can lead to a great literature discussion. ( )
  bmalon6 | May 3, 2015 |
I liked this book a lot for a number of reasons. First, the illustrations were phenomenal and really mimicked the type of art that the real Picasso and Matisse painted. The language of the text was very entertaining and fun. I particularly really liked all the puns the authors used, like when Pigasso called Mootisse a "mad cow" and when the narrator referred to Pigasso as "pig-headed." When the two meet and become friends, what starts as one piece of criticism about different art techniques, turns into an argument ultimately divides them. When Pigasso and Mootisse put a fence in between their houses they realize after a while they miss each other's company and decide to be friends again. This book offers the message to young readers that just because your opinions or views differ from someone else's, it doesn't mean that you can't be friends. While Pigasso and Mootisse paint using different styles and techniques, they realize that they are both very talented artists and that is what brings them back together.
  amanna2 | Mar 1, 2015 |
I love this "Moosterpiece" of a work by Nina Laden, and I would so enjoy using with children who have been introduced to Picasso and Matisse in an art history unit. I would want the kids to create their own works in the style of either "Pigcasso" or "Mootise", and share with the class about what makes each piece Pigcassian or Mootisian. While the book paints a very friendly version of Picasso and Matisse's rivalry, I'm not entirely sure how accurately it represents the relationship. Still, I enjoyed it!

I'm going to dump this url here so that I can come back to it later:

The above compares Picasso's relationship with Matisse to Stravinsky's relationship with Schoenberg. ( )
  Desirichter | Jul 29, 2014 |
I liked this book, especially the illustrations. I loved how the illustrations surrounding Pigasso were angular like his artistic style, and the illustrations for Mootise were softer like his artistic style. I found myself giggling at the illustrations in the book depicting when Mootise and Pigasso engage in a paint war. I also enjoyed the puns in the book such as "bullheaded" and "pigheaded". The big idea of the story is that we can be friends with people whos views differ from our own if we concentrate on the things we have in common and respect the differences. ( )
  Tammie14 | Dec 8, 2013 |
This book tells the story of two artist Pigasso (Picasso) and Mootsie (Matisse). He tells how they became famous as artists and moved out to the country. They started to hate each others work and had a fight. They ended up becoming friends again and created a masterpiece on their fence. ( )
  cbrandt | Apr 26, 2012 |
For my friends and Avant-Guardian Angels. With special thanks to Leslie Harris. -- N. L.

When Pigasso met Mootisse, what begins as a neighborly overture escalates into a mess. Before you can say paint-by-numbers, the two artists become fierce rivals, calling each other names and ultimately building a fence between them. But when the two painters paint opposite sides of the fence that divides them, they unknowingly create a modern art masterpiece, and learn it is their friendship that is the true work of art.
Nina Laden's wacky illustrations complement this funny story that non only introduces children to two of the world's most extraordinary modern artists, but teaches a very important lesson‐how to creatively resolve a conflictin a most unusual way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:27 -0400)

Pigasso, a talented pig, and Mootisse, an artistic bull, live across the road from one another, but when conflicts arise they build fences that ultimately become modern art masterpieces. Includes biographies of the real-life artists, Henri Matisse and Pablo Picasso.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,408,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible