Asa, as I Knew Him by Susanna Kaysen

Asa, as I Knew Him

by Susanna Kaysen

Dinah falls in love with a married man she works with, Asa. And when their affair ends, she has a hard time letting go. In this novel, Susanna Kaysen paints a picture of Asa through Dinah's eyes, and through her imagination of Asa's life.

Ms. Kaysen has done a remarkable job of showing how people see and imagine each other. As Dinah writes a fictional account of Asa as a young man, based on very minimal facts he disclosed during their affair, we learn more about her struggle with obsession and love and how they relate. Both the story of Asa and Dinah and Dinah's imagined account of Asa's life are well done, witty and thoroughly engaging. ( )
1 vote LynnB | Dec 24, 2011 |
I really enjoy anything by this author. The language she uses keeps you compelled long after you've put down the book. ( )
1 vote rosylibrarian | Feb 3, 2009 |
For Ceil and Michael
Asa enters a room with his arms crossed.
I may have been born to love him--I'm sure I was; loving him was easier than eating or sleeping--but he was surely born to stomp on my heart. He was better at that than at loving me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067975377X, Paperback)

Dinah Sachs and Asa Thayer have had a love affair, conducted in afternoons stolen from the office of the magazine where they work. But now that the affair is over, Dinah, in an act of lingering passion, invents a narrative of Asa's youth, imagining the events that shaped the "happy, handsome man" who, in her words, "was born to stomp on my heart."

Witty and sexy, funny and immediate, Asa, As I Knew Him is a a seductive dialogue between love and memory, obsession and illusion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:11 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,450,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible