D.A. by Connie Willis

D.A. (2007)

by Connie Willis

More of short story or novella than a full novel, this is an amusing sci-fi tale. Theodora Baumgarten is hilarious. Smart and snarky, she has no interest in the IASA, unlike nearly everyone else she knows. So when she is chosen, having not even applied, she is furious. Using her mind and sheer stubbornness, she sets about to get herself kicked out. But her quest leads her to a conspiracy – a conspiracy that just might be the best thing to ever happen to her.
Although it started a bit slow, the story picked up quickly by the middle. Theodora’s antic made me laugh several times, in particular her snarky mouth towards the IASA students and faculty. And her brilliance at discovering the “secret” was exciting and humorous. I very much enjoyed the big reveal at the end, and found it a satisfying end to this light, enjoyable story. Perfect for a quick read and the content is suitable for elementary kids and up. ( )
  empress8411 | Jun 1, 2017 |
Avery short novella seemingly in the YA genre. Humorous and a light and easy read. Nothing amazing, no complaints. A nice way to fill the space between more meaty things. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
This is a slight book, in pages (I borrowed it from the library and read it on the bus on the way home) as well as content: the fun and easy read doesn't quite disguise the fact that the ending isn't just a betrayal of justice, but of the protagonist's character and principles and very nearly her entire free will. ( )
  zeborah | Jun 5, 2013 |
I have to say, though, I hate novellas. Just write a whole book, dammit! ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
I won't tell you what D.A. stands for, as it would ruin the story. I will tell you that this story has gotten me all excited to read more of Connie Willis' books. In my mind, I always thought that she wrote inaccessible sci-fi (fine, go ahead and laugh at me), and maybe she does—I’ll find out soon enough. But this story was an absolute funfest to read. And it only takes about 20-30 minutes if you’re interested in that type of incentive…which I sometime am. (Anything to up my count. Damn you, Goodreads Challenge!)

Theodora attends a traditional high school at a time in the future when most kids are taught in online classes from home but her parents sent her to regular school to increase her chances of getting into The Academy. Students spend years trying to get perfect grades, taking classes on obscure space-related topics and learning random skills, all in the hope that they will get selected to go into space. Despite nearly every student dying for the opportunity, Theodora has never had the desire to go so imagine her surprise when a school assembly is called and a representative is there to congratulate her on her acceptance. She never applied, so what the heck is going on?

It’s a bit cliché and reads like a less genius-ridden, war-minded Battle School and Theodora spends most of her time being a downer, complaining, and sneaking around, but I enjoyed where it ended up going at the conclusion. I only wish the story continued so I could see her develop even further. As well as to see what trouble she and Kimkim would get up to together.

This short story came to me as a recommendation from my query for 'YA in space' on Goodreads. Since you can't close a query, I will probably continue to get recs on it until I am 50 but you know what? That sounds great to me! I'll never tire of space stories. Kaethe recced this one to me, and a huge thanks go out to her for it. Even if it is does end up being whatever the female equivalent of blue balls is…in that it ends when I wanted it to go on for much, much longer.
  FlanneryAC | Mar 31, 2013 |

Connie Willisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Potter, J. K.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I was at school, studying for my UCLA entrance exame and talking to Kimkim, when my phone rang.

Despite the fact that she never applied, Theodora Baumgarten has been selected as an IASA space cadet. Now she must uncover the circumstances that led to her posting aboard the Academy space station.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,046,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible