A Bonnet for Virginia by Evelyn M. Frantz

A Bonnet for Virginia

by Evelyn M. Frantz

711,138,814 (5)None

A quaint book about growing up as a young Brethren girl in the Nebraska Territory before the 20th Century. While many parts made me giggle because of my own experience with Brethren tradition - like thinking that musical instruments in the church was of the devil - some sections really made me consider the witness of the Brethren in areas of peace and community in a serious way. I was also attentive to the places where gender roles created a lack of opportunities for young girls, which is an unfortunate testimony to our Brethren past, and remains in our Brethren present. My main motivation for reading this memoir was to contribute to my thesis work about the Prayer Covering, which was highlighted in Virginia's desire for a bonnet, and then in the gift of a covering before her first Love Feast. ( )
  ricefun | Oct 20, 2010 |

Chronicles events in the life of a thirteen-year-old girl growing up in a large motherless family in nineteenth-century rural Nebraska.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:15 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,227,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible