An Ice Cold Grave by Charlaine Harris

An Ice Cold Grave

by Charlaine Harris

Ice Cold Grave
4 Stars

Harper and Tolliver travel to Doraville, North Caroline when they are hired to find a missing teenager. Harper soon realizes that she has bitten off more than she can chew when she discovers the horrific burial ground of a deranged killer who has been committing unspeakable crimes for quite a while and has no intention of allowing Harper to get in his way …

This installment in the Harper Connolly series takes a darker turn toward the serial killer thriller genre rather than cozy mystery. Nevertheless, the plot is gripping with several heart-stopping descriptions and nail-biting scenes to keep the reader on the edge of their seat.

Harris captures the nuances of small town life so well. Doraville epitomizes the idea of still waters running deep and people remaining unaware of the terrible atrocities that occur right under their noses committed by neighbors they have known all their lives. The villains in this book are true abominations not only due to their despicable actions, but because they conceal their true natures so easily - actual devils in disguise.

***Warning: Mild spoiler ahead***

The romance between Harper and Tolliver seems to be the main bone of contention for many reviewers who view their relationship as creepy and incestuous. For me, it contributes to rather than detracts from the appeal of the story. The subtle chemistry and attraction between the two is apparent from book one and the progression to a sexual relationship is not only natural, but inevitable given that they are not biological siblings and care so deeply for one another.

All in all, Ice Cold Grave is a fantastic addition to the series although readers who prefer less gruesome cozies may be disappointed. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
3rd in the Harper Connelly mystery series. This one has Harper and Tolliver in North Carolina just at the end of winter. She's been brought in by the grandmother of a local boy who has gone missing. It seems that this little town has had a number of teen boys go missing in the past few years. Harper finds the missing boys behind an abandoned house in the woods. Unlike the previous two books in the series I did not have this one figured out way in advance.. The killer was a surprise to me. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Apr 17, 2016 |
Harper can find dead people. She has a fucked up family and a tragic past, but at least she's got her one talent--and her devoted step-brother, Tolliver. They're a great couple of characters, and the mysteries Harris throws them into are always clever and disturbing. When Harper finds the bodies of eight teenagers, the little southern town is thrown into an uproar. Harris has a true talent for the details of small town life, and even the background characters are fully fleshed out. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This story is going to give me nightmares and not of the goosebump variety, but of the holy crap people can be terrible variety- the murder mystery in this book really got under my skin. Also, I tried to get on board with this romantic thing, but just couldn't. The whole love thing just skeeved me out, honestly. Due to both the way she wrote it and the way she presented their initial relationship in the first book. All that being said, I think the pacing of these books are really excellent and kept me guessing throughout. I was very engaged the entire time I was reading it. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Didn't like... stopped reading. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
I'd like to dedicate this book to some people that always make me happy when I see them: Susan McBride, Julie Wray, Dean James, Daniel Hale, Treva Miller, Steve Brewer, Dan Hale, and Elaine Viets. I have some more books to catch up to the ones I've missed!
The eastern seaboard is crammed with dead people.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425224244, Mass Market Paperback)

Hired to find a boy gene missing in Doraville, North Carolina, Harper Connelly and her brother Tolliver head there, only to discover that the boy was the only one left of several who had disappeared over the previous five years. All of them teenagers. All unlikely runaways.

All calling for Harper.

Harper soon finds them—eight victims, buried in the half-frozen ground, all come to an unspeakable end. Afterward, what she most wants to do is collect her fee and get out of town ahead of the media storm that's soon to descend. But when she's attacked and prevented from leaving, she reluctantly becomes a part of the investigation as she learns more than she cares to about the dark mysteries and long-hidden secrets of Doraville—knowledge that makes her the next person likely to rest in an ice-cold grave.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:27 -0400)

"Hired to find a boy gone missing in Doraville, North Carolina, Harper Connelly and her stepbrother Tolliver head there - only to discover that the boy was only one of several who had disappeared over the previous five years. All of them teenagers. All unlikely runaways. All calling for Harper." "Harper soon finds them - eight victims, buried in the half-frozen ground, all come to an unspeakable end. Afterwards, what she most wants to do is collect her fee and get out of town ahead of the media storm that's about to descend. But when she's attacked and prevented from leaving, she reluctantly becomes a part of the investigation as she learns more than she cares to about the dark mysteries and long-hidden secrets of Doraville - knowledge that makes her the next person likely to rest in an ice cold grave."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,150,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible