My Man Jeeves: A Collection Of Short…

My Man Jeeves: A Collection Of Short Stories. (original 1919; edition 2008)

by P. G. Wodehouse

1,520737,498 (3.81)185
Member:gooutsideandplay
Title:My Man Jeeves: A Collection Of Short Stories.
Authors:P. G. Wodehouse
Info:CreateSpace (2008), Paperback, 132 pages
Collections:Kindle collection, Your library

My Man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (1919)

Three Men in a Boat—To Say Nothing of the Dog by Jerome K. Jerome (TadAD)
    TadAD: Imagine Bertie, Bingo and Barmie trying to organize a two-week boating expedition up the Thames. Conversely, imagine J., Harris and George trying to steal a cow creamer for their aunt. There you have it.

Höchst amüsant, ohne in Schenkelklopferei zu münden und very, very british. Oder anders gesagt: die DVD-Box der auf diesen Stories basierenden Serie mit Hugh Laurie und Stephen Fry ist bereits auf dem Weg übern Kanal zu mir. Project Gutenberg, ick möcht dir knutschen!! ( )
  Horrortorte | May 17, 2019 |
3.25 stars

Jeeves is the "personal gentleman" to Bertie Wooster. Bertie believes that Jeeves is always right, and Jeeves does seem to have a knack for coming up with great ideas for getting out of sticky situations.

This appears to be more anecdotes than one story. I listened on audio, and somehow managed to miss a lot of transitions from one story to the next, and a lot of the stories didn't necessarily seem to focus on Bertie and Jeeves (or how they fit into them, I missed!). There were humorous bits. Overall, it was o.k. (3 stars), but I'm adding an extra .25 stars for the great narrator. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 3, 2019 |
This is some pretty funny stuff! ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
You can in fact find all of these stories given a bit of a facelift in the later short story collections. The best option is to buy the omnibus "The World of Jeeves" which collects the complete short stories (except for Jeeves' very first cameo appearance in "Extricating Young Gussie", a story from the miscellaneous collection "The Man with Two Left Feet"). ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
I liked this one less than some of the novels later in the series. I like his short stories less than the full novels. ( )
  gregrr | Oct 30, 2018 |
Jeeves—my man, you know—is really a most extraordinary chap. So capable. Honestly, I shouldn’t know what to do without him. On broader lines he’s like those chappies who sit peering sadly over the marble battlements at the Pennsylvania Station in the place marked “Inquiries.” You know the Johnnies I mean. You go up to them and say: “When’s the next train for Melonsquashville, Tennessee?” and they reply, without stopping to think, “Two-forty-three, track ten, change at San Francisco.” And they’re right every time. Well, Jeeves gives you just the same impression of omniscience.
I'm a bit short on brain myself; the old bean would appear to have been constructed more for ornament than use, don't you know.
He's like one of those weird chappies in India who dissolve themselves into thin air and nip through space in a sort of disembodied way and assemble the parts again just where they want them. I've got a cousin who's what they call a Theosophist, and he says he's often nearly worked the thing himself, but couldn't quite bring it off, probably owing to having fed in his boyhood on the flesh of animals slain in anger and pie.
I was so darned sorry for poor old Corky that I hadn't the heart to touch my breakfast. I told Jeeves to drink it himself.
Jeeves smiled paternally. Or, rather, he had a kind of paternal muscular spasm about the mouth, which is the nearest he ever gets to smiling.
I'm not absolutely certain of my facts, but I rather fancy it's Shakespeare--or, if not, it's some equally brainy lad--who says that it's always just when a chappie is feeling particularly top-hole, and more than usually braced with things in general that Fate sneaks up behind him with a bit of lead piping. There's no doubt the man's right.

Short story collection containing: "Leave it to Jeeves"; "Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest"; "Jeeves and the Hard-Boiled Egg"; "Absent Treatment"; "Helping Freddie"; "Rallying Round Old George"; "Doing Clarence a Bit of Good"; and "The Aunt and the Sluggard".

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 146626893X, Paperback)

This anthology is a thorough introduction to classic literature for those who have not yet experienced these literary masterworks. For those who have known and loved these works in the past, this is an invitation to reunite with old friends in a fresh new format. From Shakespeare s finesse to Oscar Wilde s wit, this unique collection brings together works as diverse and influential as The Pilgrim s Progress and Othello. As an anthology that invites readers to immerse themselves in the masterpieces of the literary giants, it is must-have addition to any library.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:00 -0400)

"Who can forget our beloved gentleman's personal gentleman, Jeeves, who ever comes to the rescue when the hapless Bertie Wooster falls into trouble. My Man Jeeves is sure to please anyone with a taste for pithy buffoonery, moronic misunderstandings, gaffes, and aristocratic slapstick."--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,473,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible