The Little Red Book of Wisdom by Mark Demoss

The Little Red Book of Wisdom

by Mark Demoss

English (2)  Dutch (1)  All (3)
Rated: C+
Nice little thought provoking book of short essays on what's truly important in life. Also, a not so subtle advertisement for DeMoss's firm and services. ( )
  jmcdbooks | Jan 28, 2013 |
When I received this book as a gift, it came highly recommended by one of my favorite Bible teachers, and I figured it would be a quick read, so I moved it to the top of my pile. I was right – I got through it in just a few days reading a little bit each night.

There were a few things I really enjoyed about this book: the short chapters make it a good gift book for all sorts of occasions – Father’s Day, graduations, first job, even weddings. Even people who don’t like to read could get through this book – lots of built-in stopping places for those who can’t or won’t read for a long period of time. Also, the chapters are very practical, with lessons you can begin to put into practice right away. The book is written from the perspective of a Biblical worldview, too, so believers can be satisfied that nothing here will conflict with the Word of God.

But there were three major glaring problems for me. First, though it’s written from a Biblical worldview, and though Scripture is quoted, the author never cited exact references. Even if the book is supposed to appeal to a wider audience, what is wrong with citing an exact place to find the Scriptures he quotes?

Second, while the book is indeed full of wisdom, I was so distracted by the name-dropping that I don’t remember most of what was said. The author has been blessed with many opportunities to know some great people first-hand. But is it really necessary EVERY time he points to someone as an example to point out how they are great friends of his, or how much personal contact he’s had with the person? Perhaps he thought to make the lesson stronger by explaining that he wasn’t just making it up. But it smacked of pride to me, and instead of being helpful, that habit only distracted.

Third, wisdom is from the Lord. And I guess it’s clear that Mr. DeMoss really believes that. But he spends so much time talking about himself, things he’s done well, that once again, the good lesson was completely overshadowed by the “goodness” of the author.

Now, I’m not an author. I don’t know how difficult it would be to write a book on wisdom. I don’t know exactly what I would have done differently, and I certainly don’t believe that everyone will respond to it the way I have. I’ll keep it in our library, but I probably won’t refer to it very often, and I doubt I’ll buy it for anyone else.

See my full review and others at http://www.vangorden-vm.blogspot.com ( )
  vg2001 | Sep 5, 2007 |

The Little Red Book of Wisdom offers time-tested principles for professional and personal fulfillment. In the book, Mark DeMoss gathers insights for living wisely from history, Scripture, and a lifetime of listening. The result is a handy, accessible book that gives readers a new way to enjoy lasting success in the work world and beyond. Topics include finding and keeping your focus in life, building a winning corporate culture, and setting aside time for good thinking.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:31 -0400)

DeMoss has gathered insights from history, scripture, and a lifetime of listening resulting in this handy, accessible book that gives readers a new way to enjoy lasting success in the work world and beyond.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,468,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible