Lottery by Patricia Wood

Lottery (original 2008; edition 2007)

by Patricia Wood

Member:MarjIndex
Title:Lottery
Authors:Patricia Wood
Info:Putnam Adult (2007), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:***

Lottery by Patricia Wood (2008)

English (62)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (66)
Loved this book! Great, great read. ( )
  MichelleGO | Jul 19, 2018 |
Narrated by a man who has spent his life rejecting the label "retard," this story shows above all the powerful and long-lasting effects of being raised by loving and committed people. Perry definitely faces challenges, mostly from the greed and conniving of his own mother and brothers, but eventually finds his own way to rise above it and shape a happy and meaningful life for himself. ( )
  phyllis.shepherd | Jun 7, 2017 |
This book is a bit of a fairy tale, but nevertheless funny and poignant. It is narrated by 32 year old Perry, who hastens to say that he is not retarded--his IQ is 76, and to be retarded your IQ must be 75 or below. Perry lives with his beloved Gram, and is pretty much ignored (or worse) by the rest of his family, including his mother.

When his Gram dies and leaves him her house, his family cheats him out of his inheritance. He goes to live in an apartment over the marine supply shop where he is employed. He settles into his new life with his friends, the shop owner Gary, co-worker Keith, and Cherry, the pierced and tatooed Minimart cashier.

Then Perry wins the $12 million state lottery, and the vultures descend. Perry nevertheless muddles through, and comes out on top, frequently referring to things his Gram had taught him, about how to tell friend from foe, and who to listen to and who to ignore.

This is not an earth-shattering book, but it is pleasant and an excellent read. I thoroughly enjoyed it despite its somewhat over the top fairy tale ending. ( )
  arubabookwoman | Apr 21, 2017 |
Again, i wish I could give a 3.5 rating. I loved the main character and the theme of the book so I'm going with 4 stars. However, some of the plot points were implausible and everything was tied up just a little too neatly in the end. It's a great first book and I will definitely read more by this author. In fact, I'd like to read more about this lovable cast of characters in a sequel. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
I really wanted to give it 3.5. It was enjoyable, but I felt parts were a bit predicatable. Overall, a nic e read, and it is always good to see the good guy come out on top. ( )
  karconner | Jul 5, 2016 |
Ordinary riches can be stolen:
real riches cannot.

Oscar Wilde
This novel is dedicated to my father and mother,
Ragner J. Dahl and Bernice J. Dahl,
and
Airborne the Wonder Horse,
without whom I would never have met my friends and mentors
Paul Theroux and Sheila Donnelly Theroux.
My name is Perry L. Crandall and I am not retarded.
Vacations are when you stop being in a hurry to go to work and start being in a hurry to go someplace else.

Perry's IQ is only 76, but he's not stupid. His grandmother taught him everything he needs to know to survive: She taught him to write things down so he won't forget them. She taught him to play the lottery every week. And, most important, she taught him whom to trust. When Gram dies, Perry is left orphaned and bereft at the age of thirty-one. Then his weekly Washington State Lottery ticket wins him 12 million dollars, and he finds he has more family than he knows what to do with. Peopled with characters both wicked and heroic who leap off the pages, Lottery is a deeply satisfying, gorgeously rendered novel about trust, loyalty, and what distinguishes us as capable.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:35 -0400)

"Lottery is a novel about the nature of luck and chance. Perry's IQ is only 76, but he's not stupid. His Gram taught him everything he needs to know to survive: She taught him to write things down so he won't forget them. She taught him to play the lottery every week. And most important, she taught him whom to trust." "When Gram dies, Perry is left bereft at the age of thirty-one. Then his weekly Washington State Lottery ticket wins him $12 million, and he finds he has more family than he knows what to do with - and his luck has very much changed. Lottery will leave readers wondering until the last page whether Perry's good fortune can possibly withstand such a perilous world. But never underestimate Perry L. Crandall."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,343,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible