The Sicilian by Mario Puzo

The Sicilian (original 1984; edition 2001)

by Mario Puzo

Member:ShavonJones
Title:The Sicilian
Authors:Mario Puzo
Info:Ballantine Books (2001), Edition: New title, Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***

The Sicilian by Mario Puzo (1984)

To my surprise I feel immense contempt for reading a supposedly praised book of Puzo because I actually find it extremely disappointing.

The book being nothing exceptional but a painfully exasperating story about the bold Italian Outlaws and the typical Sicilian Mafia/Mob, makes me insolently demean this story because the plot turned out to be almost a mash-up and rip-off of Puzo's other notable books.

Moreover, after reading the book, scorned I was as a blacksmith without his tools, I was numb too since the novel had very little material. I recall the days when I almost gave up reading this book because I was tired of forcing myself to turn the pages.

Firstly, the feeble plot, as mentioned before turns out to be a brew of Puzo's other books, lacks originality and enthrallment, and is rather repetitive. It also focuses too much on the character development, so much that you are left with a sick feeling of boredom and weariness. The innumerable accounts of the characters' past are definitely a foundation of their role but with these characters Puzo actually overdid it, so much that you feel such elaborate illustrations were unnecessary. The characters were lush and deep but not captivating enough to make me dive into their lives.

The book might have flourished if it were made into two parts, because since the real story is so limited, Puzo could have glorified it by dividing it into two parts by focusing the drama on the first and the tragedy/thrills on the latter, but that's just how I feel.

Sadly, thriving on unwanted details and a vain story, this book also features folly and unintelligent writing. For example, the execution of the main character absolutely made no sense at all, the weak writing left readers in utter dismay and confusion such as, "Why kill him NOW?", "without a motive why would THAT person betray?", etc.

Moving on, the theme of the book is somewhat ambiguous yet the countless incidents of the story surely amplified aspects of Loyalty and Pride. And the message of the book might have been somewhat enlightening but I remain unsatisfied with this desultory tale of how two young innocent boys grew up to be bandits and embraced their fateful retribution.
  Toufiq | Dec 18, 2014 |

Toufiq | Dec 18, 2014 |
This is hands down my favorite book, and Mario Puzo is my favorite author. I loved the Godfather, and The Sicilian is a continuation of the story of Michael Corleone during his time in Sicily while hiding out. All of Puzo's books have something for everyone. Passionate, well thought out character, wonderful story lines, adventures, suspense, and even love stories. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  sraimone | Jun 23, 2013 |
It was good. I was on a mob book reading spree during that summer. I think I was 15. I really liked that it wasn't the same story as The Godfather. Puzo did a great job of telling a new story. ( )
  ShavonJones | Nov 12, 2012 |
I love Mario Puzo. This was no Godfather, and the ending was obvious a mile coming, but his writing is comfortable and his Italian and Italian-American characters are bright and interesting. It especially helped that I was listening to this as an audiobook on loan from the library, and each character was played by a different thick-accented actor. Good times. ( )
  okrysmastree | Feb 5, 2012 |
The story of Turi Guiliano also affords Mr. Puzo the opportunity to explain the Mafia historically. He even gives us etymology. '' 'Mafia,' in Arabic, means a place of sanctuary,'' he writes, ''and the word took its place in the Sicilian language when the Saracens ruled the country in the 10th century. Throughout history, the people of Sicily were oppressed mercilessly by the Romans, the Papacy, the Normans, the French, the Germans and the Spanish. Their Governments enslaved the poor, working class, exploiting their labor, raping their women, murdering their leaders. Even the rich did not escape. The Spanish Inquisition of the Holy Catholic Church stripped them of their wealth for being heretics. And so the 'Mafia' sprang up as a secret society of avengers.''

At the same time, as if in response to those who thought he over-romanticized the Mafia in ''The Godfather,'' Mr. Puzo scourges ''the 'Friends of the Friends,' as they were called here in Sicily.'' For Turi Guiliano is not only waging war with the Carabinieri, or the Italian National Police, he is also fighting Don Croce Malo, the hugely fat Capo di Capi of the ''Friends of the Friends.''

Mario Puzoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Buđanovac, NebojšaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Croatian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
For Carol
Michael Corleone stood on a long wooden dock in Palermo and watched the great ocean line set sail for America.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345441702, Mass Market Paperback)

After Mario Puzo wrote his internationally acclaimed The Godfather, he has often been imitated but never equaled. Puzo's classic novel, The Sicilian, stands as a cornerstone of his work--a lushly romantic, unforgettable tale of bloodshed, justice, and treachery. . . .

The year is 1950. Michael Corleone is nearing the end of his exile in Sicily. The Godfather has commanded Michael to bring a young Sicilian bandit named Salvatore Guiliano back with him to America. But Guiliano is a man entwined in a bloody web of violence and vendettas. In Sicily, Guiliano is a modern day Robin Hood who has defied corruption--and defied the Cosa Nostra. Now, in the land of mist-shrouded mountains and ancient ruins, Michael Corleone's fate is entwined with the dangerous legend of Salvatore Guiliano: warrior, lover, and the ultimate Siciliano.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:28 -0400)

"Turi Guilliano works to enhance his romantic image, but in the mid-1940s the Sicilian Mafia forces him to escape to the American Mafia, in the sequel to The Godfather"--NoveList.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,399,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible