Duckling And The Swan (Ballet Sisters) by…

Duckling And The Swan (Ballet Sisters)

by Jan Ormerod

(1) $5.99 (1) 6s (1) ballet (7) beginning reader (1) children's literature (1) dance (3) dancing (1) db (1) dress up (1) E ORM (1) easy reader (4) family (3) fiction (2) from_kd (1) funny (1) grid (1) juvenile fiction (1) Level 2 (1) LP (2) play (1) read (1) read aloud 2014 (1) read in 2007 (1) relationships (1) ru (1) siblings (3) sisters (7) SM (1) to-read (1)

I'm a sucker for Ormerod's art, and I just love the sisters' friendship. The big sister is a little bossy, but no more than is perfectly normal. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Ballet Sisters the Duckling and the Swan, in my opinion, is a wonderful children’s contemporary fiction book. The characters, language, as well as the illustrations that are portrayed, all allow this book to send a clear, vivid message of the love that two sisters can share.

The two sisters throughout the book possess a bond that is so lovely and innocent. Sylvie, the younger sister, looks up to her big sister as the two make-believe different scenarios through dance. The two sisters never once argue, they simply just play nicely together. However, when the older sister says, “I’m a fairy queen, and you are an elf,” Sylvie shouts out, “I don’t want to be an elf.” Sylvie is not fighting with her sister, she is just a little girl, probably about three years old, and does not know any other way to express how she feels when it is something she does not want to do. Therefore, in my opinion, the characters are believable, making the story engaging.

While reading the book I noted that the writing had a great flow, and was very engaging. I also felt that the illustrations enhanced the story, and supported the written text. An example that supports my opinion is of an illustration of the big sister standing on her tippy toes, washing her face at the bathroom sink, while on the opposite page, the little sister is standing on a stool, attempting to wash her face as well. The text that supports the illustrations say, “On Saturday, I get ready for ballet class. I wash my face and hands. Sylvia washes her face and hands, too.” The pictures are not overwhelming and the text fits the mood exactly to what the illustrations are expressing. Also, what I liked most about the writing was that you didn’t have to look at the illustrations to know what was happening throughout the book. That is how clear the writing and language was!

This really is a great read! ( )
  sarahbassett | Nov 1, 2014 |
  paceacademy | May 10, 2010 |

The first book in a fun new series about two sisters who love ballet!

Little Sylvie likes to play dress-up and dance in the garden with her big sister. But Sylvie is too young for ballet class. And Sylvie does NOT want to be an elf in games of pretend.

When an unintentional haircut leaves Sylvie's hair too short for braids, big sister comes to the rescue by creating a set of braids from an old pair of tights!

New readers will delight in the funny antics of little Sylvie and in the patience of her big sister!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:36 -0400)

Sylvie and her older sister dance their way through make-believe adventures that include princesses, fairy queens, swans, and ducklings.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,074,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible