The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate…

The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 11) (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

4,72057998 (3.86)41
Title:The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 11)
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2004), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Gates Family Library, Fantasy, Fiction, Juvenile

The Grim Grotto by Lemony Snicket (2004)

I’m listening to this as read by Tim Curry, which is all things awesome. However: if you’re doing the same, you might want to grab a physical copy long enough to look at the last several pages. Snicket includes six “To My Kind Editor” letters, and Curry doesn’t read them. Which is not his fault, because nothing is his fault, because Tim Curry is a rock god and if you don’t understand that you need to leave my house right now.

The reason Curry doesn’t read these letters is because he can’t. No, he didn’t contract illiteracy after finishing the main text. He can’t read these letters aloud because he can’t do them justice in an audible-book format. The letters aren’t complete. They’re typed on “Hotel Denouement” letterhead, and they’re torn from top to bottom, with only the left halves surviving. And “half” is too generous a term for the last one. But they’re fun to puzzle over. So be sure to check these fragments out.

Let me again express my surprise at how the “Unfortunate Events” books not only defy the general fate of sequels (hint: suckage), but actually improve as the series goes on. The characters deepen. The children grapple with moral as well as physical perils. And the literary references become more subtle and complex.

I won’t say much about the plot because first, it’s been expertly summarized in other reviews; second, if you’re familiar with the series you don’t need me to, and if you’re not, you should start with the first book, not the 11th; and third, I still have a bad headache from this lousy month-long cold, and summarizing sounds suspiciously like work. Work that involves my brain, which is in my head, which hurts.

Instead, I’d like to mention something I was grateful to find in this book.

My niece died when I was a teenager. She was only a few months old. I haven't come to terms with that. I’ve gotten on with my life, of course, but it’s always a shock that someone so small could cast so big a shadow.

One thing I’ve often thought about is that a too-early death robs its victim of two lives. The first is the nebulous, hypothetical, artificially bright life they would have had: the future they’ve been deprived of, the work and love they might have engaged in.

The second, though, is the life they already had. A chunk of their identity drops away. That piece of their self is every bit as true and important as every other aspect of their personality, but it’s buried first and deepest.

I’m talking about their flaws. We are so reluctant to allow our dead to be their own imperfect selves. It’s too painful – and to be fair, it feels too cruel – to acknowledge that the lost loved one was, say, sometimes irritable and occasionally unkind, or had a habit of grabbing the first and the best for themselves.

My niece didn’t have time to be anything but an infant, of course. But I’ve found myself trying to acknowledge her humanity by wondering if she would have been a bratty, fashion-conscious teenager who rolled her eyes at my lame apparel. Or maybe she would have been polite enough not to say that the things I enjoy – writing, reading, baking all day – might have been boring to her. We might have gone through some thorny patches, as her mother and I certainly have.

She should have had the chance to be an ordinary human being, is what I’m saying. She should have had a life. And in the course of that life, it’s pretty much guaranteed that she would have been bitchy sometimes. Or rude. Mean to people now and then. Maybe stupid enough to text and drive. Also beautiful (her parents are gorgeous) and intelligent (her mother’s brilliant) and probably artistic (I’m the only one she’s related to who fails in that department).

She doesn’t get to be a whole person any more. She lost out on the years she should have had; and because she died far too young, she’s been elected to sainthood. Many people have. And that isn’t fair to anyone.

This kind of thought is why this passage from The Grim Grotto means a lot to me:

Everyone yells, of course, from time to time, but the Baudelaire children did not like to think about their parents yelling, particularly now that they were no longer around to apologize or explain themselves. It is often difficult to admit that someone you love is not perfect, or to consider aspects of a person that are less than admirable. To the Baudelaires it felt almost as if they had drawn a line after their parents died – a secret line in their memories, separating all the wonderful things about the Baudelaire parents from the things that perhaps were not quite so wonderful. Since the fire, whenever they thought of their parents, the Baudelaires never stepped over this secret line, preferring to ponder the best moments the family had together rather than any of the times when they had fought, or been unfair or selfish. But now, suddenly, in the gloom of the Gorgonian Grotto, the siblings had stumbled across that line and found themselves thinking of that angry afternoon in the library, and in moments other angry afternoons and evenings had occurred to them until their brains were lousy with memories of all stripes, a phrase which here means "both good and bad." It gave the siblings a queasy feeling to cross this line in their memories, and admit that their parents were sometimes difficult, and it made them feel all the queasier to realize they could not step back, and pretend they had never remembered these less-than-perfect moments, any more than they could step back in time, and once again find themselves safe in the Baudelaire home, before fire and count Olaf had appeared in their lives.

The Grim Grotto, quite aside from being an action-packed story, also gives a lot of troubling thought to the idea that those we love are not always perfect, anymore than we ourselves are. And it ends on a cliffhanger, so have the next book at hand before you finish this one. You’ll want to jump right to it. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
This is honestly one of my favorite Unfortunate Events books in a long time. This book is positively eerie, creepy, and terrifying. Something about undersea adventures just creeps me out, and it's a fear that I believe is somewhat universal. Plus, an extremely dangerous and unpredictable mushroom... it all combines to make a chilling adventure.

Plus, this book really explores humanity and how people are not necessarily black and white like the Baudelaires first believed it to be. The hook-handed man describes people like a salad, with all kinds of stuff in it -- not just good or evil. The orphans even experience it firsthand.

To add to it, the mysteries get even deeper. Lemony Snicket somehow is able to keep adding more and more questions without disregarding the old questions. He doesn't outright answer hardly any of the questions that have been asked in past novels, and yet somehow they get answered anyway.

And let's not forget Sunny. Lovely Sunny. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Apr 2, 2015 |
You will not hesitate to love this book in the series!
There is so much mystery being uncovered that it's just a constant roller coaster ride -- a term used here, which means, so many twists and turns that you'll just keep right on rolling along with the story!

It's so awesome :-)

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Dec 27, 2014 |
The 11th book in the Series of Unfortunate Events: The Grim Grotto discloses that the Baudelaires are just one in a whole line-up of families who are or were members of the VFD and that the schism in the organization is the cause of much of the trouble that the Baudelaires encounter. How benevolent was the original VFD? Who is on what side? Even their supposed allies can switch sides suddenly. On the bright side, Sunny is becoming quite resourceful and eloquent. Can't wait to finish the series and have all questions answered. ( )
  Marse | Jul 6, 2014 |
One of the more unusual books in the series, finally Olaf has stopped with disguises and we are finally getting some more information on VFD, I swear the author has us on a drip-feed. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snicket, Lemonymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- Dead women tell no tales. Sad men write them down.
After a great deal of time examining oceans, investigating rainstorms, and staring very hard at several drinking fountains, the scientists of the world developed a theory regarding how water is distributed around our planet, which they have named "the water cycle."
"Dear God! Holy Buddha! Charles Darwin! Duke Ellington! Aye! ..."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410145, Hardcover)

It's tough when the things that stand between you and your desired sugar bowl are a host of deadly mushrooms and an uncomfortable diving suit. The unlucky Baudelaire orphans find themselves in deep (once again) in this eleventh book in Lemony Snicket's odd-and-full-of-woe-but-quite-funny Series of Unfortunate Events. In The Grim Grotto, the siblings find themselves headed down Stricken Stream on a broken toboggan when they are spotted by the submarine Queequeg, carrying Captain Widdershins, his somewhat volatile stepdaughter Fiona, and optimistic Phil from Lucky Smells Lumbermill. The adventures that follow as the crew tries to get to the aforementioned sugar bowl before Count Olaf are so horrible that the narrator inserts factual information about the water cycle so that readers will get bored and stop reading the book. It doesn't work. As per usual, readers will want to soak up every awf! ul detail and follow the Baudelaires all the way back to the place we first met them--Briny Beach. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:48 -0400)

Still pursued by the evil Count Olaf, the Baudelaire orphans attempt to reach a very important VFD meeting, but first they must travel in a rattletrap submarine to the Gorgonian Grotto, a dangerous underwater cave, in search of the sugar bowl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,875,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible