Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha…

Murder on the Orient Express (1934)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (9)

8,851202340 (4.05)468

English (189)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Piratical (1)  All (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All (202)
I decided one day that I should start listening to audiobooks while driving, at the gym, doing household chores, etc. I had always wanted to read Agatha Christie, so I started there pretty much on a whim.

This novel is part of the Poirot series of detective novels.

It's difficult to review a mystery without giving spoilers and I never write spoilers in reviews, so I'll just say that I enjoyed getting to know Poirot and his friends better and I loved hearing how the story unfolded in the end. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
This was the first Agatha Christie book I ever read. I bought a paperback copy at my 8th grade Scholastic book fair, along with a bookmark with Garfield on it, saying, "Lose my place and I'll rearrange your face." I remember being completely lost in it at once, trying so hard to make my own little gray cells work to solve the case, and, naturally, failing completely. At the end, I remember feeling as though somehow Christie has cheated, but at the same time I was thrilled with the result and totally hooked. Since then I've been very slowly, off and on through the years, working through her bibliography and I've loved every one. It was great to revisit this first one for me, which is still just as fabulous as it was that first time through, and I can't wait to see the new movie version this fall. ( )
  scaifea | Jul 9, 2017 |
4.5 stars.

This was my first-ever Agatha Christie mystery and I'm so glad it was!

For something written in 1934, this holds up incredibly well. The language wasn't too complicated or confusing, and Ms. Christie had me going until the very last two pages! An incredible feat, I thought it was the doctor the whole time...

I had no idea when I bought this that it was being made into a feature film at the same time, just a happy coincidence that now I get to see this as a blockbuster, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

I will definitely be reading more of these mysteries by this legendary author, any recommendations of hers are very welcome! ( )
  tuf25995 | Jul 6, 2017 |
To be perfectly honest, the main reason I picked this up was because a couple of Agatha Christie's books have been worked into episodes of Doctor Who. So I figured it was about time I dipped into this classic.

It's like swimming in a sea of red herrings. You watch as they follow one lead then something can't be right so they back up and try another way. Then nothing makes sense, but then Mr. Poirot sits in his Thinking Chair and Think, Think, Thinks. Then finally comes the grand reveal that made the previous 6/8 of the book (I skimmed some parts) worth it. My personality is such that I don't have the curiosity or patience to guess along with a mystery and formulate my own theories (You mean I have to use my brain? So lazy... Just tell me what happened pls), but after the solution is presented and one thinks back on all the clues leading to it (or away from it) this elicited profound admiration at the central idea. One of those "it's so crazy it just might work!" schemes, but so well-constructed so that it didn't fall apart in the execution.

I'm realize I'm being vague (or maybe I just don't know how to write in-depth reviews) so that anyone else can approach this spoiler-free, as I did. I'm the type of person to look up the plot of something before I read or watch it, and in this case I'm glad I didn't because that would have ruined my entire experience.

tldr: I don't normally read mystery, but this blew my mind. Well done. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
I DID NOT EXPECT THAT
i initially wanted to give this 4 stars but then the last 5% happened and that was amazing it completely took me by surprise. it was so so much better than i expected, i really didn't think i would like this much, and i think i will be reading more of her books in the near future. (surprisingly i really liked poirot and the language was exactly what i was in the mood for) ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
The book is filled with entertaining and descriptive events that will leave readers anticipating more.

Estambul, pleno invierno. Poirot decide tomar el Orient Express que en esta época suele hacer su recorrido prácticamente vacío. Pero aquel día, el tren va lleno y sólo gracias a una buena amiga consigue una litera en el coche-cama. A la mañana siguiente se despierta, descubre que una tormenta de nieve ha obligado a detener el tren y que un americano, llamado Ratcher, ha sido apuñalado salvajemente. Aparentemente nadie ha entrado ni ha salido del coche-cama. El asesino, sin duda, es alguno de los ocupantes entre los que se encuentra una altiva princesa rusa y una institutriz inglesa.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
M.E.L.M.
Arpachiyah, 1933
It was five o'clock on a winter's morning in Syria.
"Colonel Arbuthnot smokes a pipe," he said. "In the compartment of Mr. Ratchett I found a pipe-cleaner. Mr. Ratchett smoked only cigars."....
Poirot shook his head violently. "That is just it...it is impossible—quite impossible—that an honourable, slightly stupid, upright Englishman should stab an enemy twelve times with a knife! Do you not feel, my friends, how impossible it is? "That is the psychology." said M. Bouc. "And one must respect the psychology. This crime has a signature, and it is certainly not the signature of Colonel Arbuthnot." (p. 121,122).
aka Murder in the Calais Coach

Everyone did it,
Or maybe just one person,
Or no one at all.
(SandSing7)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425200450, Mass Market Paperback)

Agatha Christie's most famous murder mystery, reissued with a striking new cover designed to appeal to the latest generation of Agatha Christie fans and book lovers. Just after midnight, a snowdrift stops the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train is surprisingly full for the time of the year, but by the morning it is one passenger fewer. An American tycoon lies dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. Isolated and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule Poirot must identify the murderer - in case he or she decides to strike again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:36 -0400)

Just after midnight, a snowdrift stopped the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train was surprisingly full for the time of year, but by the morning there was one passenger fewer. An American lay dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. With tension mounting, detective Hercule Poirot comes up with not one, but two solutions to the crime.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,181,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible