Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha…

Murder on the Orient Express (1934)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (10)

English (263)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Piratical (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (277)
This was only my second Christie read and much better than the first. (And Then There Were None). I will say that I had to play close attention to how the characters on the train were related to the Armstrong family--there were 12 of them and sometimes I was a bit confused. This book did not really excite me nor did it turn me off from possibly another Christie at some time in the future. ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Apr 20, 2019 |
Dopo moltissimi anni sono ritornata a leggere Poirot e ovviamente non mi ha deluso. Quando ero adolescente mi piacevano molto le storie intricate che la Christie riusciva a dipanare così bene affidandosi ai ragionamenti di Poirot.
Questo libro non l'avevo letto e devo dire che sono contenta di aver colmato la carenza!
La trama è tanto semplice quanto poi sarà intricato risolvere il delitto: un uomo viene trovato morto nel suo scompartimento sul treno Orient Express che congiunge l'Asia con l'Europa e che porta a bordo passeggeri di nazionalità diverse.
Poirot, che si trova su quel treno, aiuterà il capo delle ferrovie e il dottore a risolvere il caso con la sua consueta capacità intuitiva.
La Christie per me non delude mai perchè riesce sempre a coinvolgere nelle storie con la sua bella scrittura e con la capacità analitica della psicologia dei personaggi.
Mi chiedo come mai non abbia letto prima questo libro! ( )
  Feseven78 | Apr 17, 2019 |
Poirot must draw from all his resources to find the killer of a most-loathed man from among thirteen passengers on the Orient Express.

This book had one of the most surprising endings of any mystery book I’ve ever read. I definitely recommend reading the book if you’ve only seen the movie. While I loved Kenneth Branagh’s recent film adaptation, the book’s resolution is much more satisfying. This is one of Christie’s most famous novels, and for good reason.

Read more Agatha Christie reviews on my blog at bigdipperbooks.com ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |
There are a lot of reviews about this book already, so I'll keep it short. It was interesting mystery but I wasn't very much surprised by the ending and it was over a bit too sudden for my liking. The story goes quite slow and then all of a sudden at the end it speeds through the explanation and that's it. I found a lot of story a bit one dimensional. The characters never really became real for me. I disliked all the untranslated French sentences. I sucked at French in high school and I got tired of looking them up. All in all, I don't regret reading it and it was mildly interesting, but I don't know if I'll read more books by Agatha Christie anytime soon. ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
01/13/2018
What a finale!!!! RTC

01/25/2018
(You can also find this review on my blog.)

I’ll be honest — I was a little nervous going into this book. Classics (this is kind of a classic, right?) tend to be hit or miss for me, and mostly miss. I just find the writing so difficult to get into. Luckily for me, Agatha Christie truly is a master of the mystery genre.

The story did start off pretty slow for me, but I loved how witty and sarcastic Poirot was. I found myself cackling at his commentary more than once. I actually sent most of my friends a picture of this line:

Poirot rose. “If you forgive me for being personal — I do not like your face, M. Ratchett,” he said.

And with that he left the restaurant car.

My biggest issue was probably the number of characters. I lost track of everyone almost immediately and got extremely lost trying to figure out who was who. To be fair, there is a list at the beginning of the book, but I didn’t want to keep flipping back and forth or taking notes.

Things picked up a lot toward the end and I flew through the pages, eager to find out who the killer was. The finale honestly blew me away. Obviously I can’t say anything without giving away spoilers, but Agatha Christie did an incredible job of pulling it all together. It helps that Poirot has a flair for the dramatic.

I would definitely recommend this book to someone who is interested in reading something by Christie, or anyone interested in solving the Murder on the Orient Express! ( )
  samesfoley | Dec 26, 2018 |
The book is filled with entertaining and descriptive events that will leave readers anticipating more.

Estambul, pleno invierno. Poirot decide tomar el Orient Express que en esta época suele hacer su recorrido prácticamente vacío. Pero aquel día, el tren va lleno y sólo gracias a una buena amiga consigue una litera en el coche-cama. A la mañana siguiente se despierta, descubre que una tormenta de nieve ha obligado a detener el tren y que un americano, llamado Ratcher, ha sido apuñalado salvajemente. Aparentemente nadie ha entrado ni ha salido del coche-cama. El asesino, sin duda, es alguno de los ocupantes entre los que se encuentra una altiva princesa rusa y una institutriz inglesa.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Seeberg, Axel S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, DanReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suchet, DavidReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Death on the Nile / Murder on the Orient Express / The A.B.C. Murders / Cards on the Table / Thirteen at Dinner by Agatha Christie

Hercule Poirotin johtolangat : viisi kuulua mysteeriä by Agatha Christie

Poirot: The Perfect Murders: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Murder on the Orient Express, Murder in the News, Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express [and] 4:50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie

A Treasury of Great Mysteries [Volume 1] by Howard Haycraft

Um Crime no Expresso do Oriente / O Mistério de Listerdale by Agatha Christie

A Murder is Announced [and] Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie Mystery Collection: Three Mysteries plus Companion Guide by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express / The Secret Adversary / The Big Four by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie Collection by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express [and] The Hollow by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express / The Mysterious Affair at Styles / Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie

The Mysterious Affair at Styles / Murder on the Orient Express / The A.B.C. Murders / Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie Crime Collection: Murder on the Orient Express / Death in the Clouds / Why Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie

After the Funeral / Death in the Clouds / Murder on the Orient Express / Why Didn’t They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie

Murders to Die For by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd [and] Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd / Murder on the Orient Express / Thirteen at Dinner by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express / Death on the Nile / The Mirror Cracked / The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Agatha Christie Boxed Set) by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Murder on the Orient Express [In Russian Language] Ten Little Niggers. At Bertram's Hotel. Pieces by Agatha Christie

The World's Favourite by Agatha Christie

Lord Edgware Dies [and] Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

Dame Agatha Abroad: Murder on the Orient Express / Murder in Mesopotamia / They Came to Bagdad by Agatha Christie

Four Novels: Murder on the Orient Express, Cards on the Table, Five Little Pigs, Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie

The Best of Poirot: Murder on the Orient Express, Cards on the Table, Hercule Poirot's Christmas, Five Little Pigs, The Labours of Hercules by Agatha Christie

The Agatha Christie Collection: The Mirror Crack'd / Death on the Nile / Murder on the Orient Express / Endless Night by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express [and] Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

Hickory Dickory Death / Murder on the Orient Express / The Mystery of the Blue Train / A Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express and Other Hercule Poirot Mysteries (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) by Agatha Christie

Murder in the Calais Coach [and] Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express [and] The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express and Other Destinations: 75th Anniversary Edition by Agatha Christie

Moord in de Oriënt-expres / De moordenaar heet Fox by Agatha Christie

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

To
M.E.L.M.
Arpachiyah, 1933
It was five o'clock on a winter's morning in Syria.
"Colonel Arbuthnot smokes a pipe," he said. "In the compartment of Mr. Ratchett I found a pipe-cleaner. Mr. Ratchett smoked only cigars."....
Poirot shook his head violently. "That is just it...it is impossible—quite impossible—that an honourable, slightly stupid, upright Englishman should stab an enemy twelve times with a knife! Do you not feel, my friends, how impossible it is? "That is the psychology." said M. Bouc. "And one must respect the psychology. This crime has a signature, and it is certainly not the signature of Colonel Arbuthnot." (p. 121,122).
aka Murder in the Calais Coach

Everyone did it,
Or maybe just one person,
Or no one at all.
(SandSing7)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425200450, Mass Market Paperback)

Agatha Christie's most famous murder mystery, reissued with a striking new cover designed to appeal to the latest generation of Agatha Christie fans and book lovers. Just after midnight, a snowdrift stops the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train is surprisingly full for the time of the year, but by the morning it is one passenger fewer. An American tycoon lies dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. Isolated and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule Poirot must identify the murderer - in case he or she decides to strike again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:36 -0400)

Just after midnight, a snowdrift stopped the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train was surprisingly full for the time of year, but by the morning there was one passenger fewer. An American lay dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. With tension mounting, detective Hercule Poirot comes up with not one, but two solutions to the crime.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,204,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible