Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha…

Murder on the Orient Express (original 1934; edition 1991)

by Agatha Christie

Member:drewfull
Title:Murder on the Orient Express
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harpercollins (Mm) (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:mystery, read in 2013, Christie

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (1934)

Recently added byDL_Orton, adrienie, eierragout, private library, TAir, BookNrrrd, SalmanAk, girlwithcamera
    And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Both Christie classics, where no-one and everyone could have done the murder.
    The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett (ashleylauren)

English (146)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (156)
This is one of those classic pieces of detective fiction that i reckon you could study really hard and still be surprised by. The crime is original, the motive understandable, the way it all comes together is a piece of artistry. I could read it again and again and still not work out how Poirot found the key to the mystery. An excellent re-read. ( )
  Helenliz | Jun 9, 2015 |
I first read Murder on the Orient Express over thirty years ago, but this is one of few Agatha Christie stories that I actually remembered the solution of. Therefore, it was interesting for me to read this book again and pick up some of the clues that were sprinkled throughout. I found this to be a fun read that certainly made clear exactly how much of a master of detection Hercule Poirot was.

It is very hard to describe this story in any way without dropping some spoilers so I will simply say that Agatha Christie outdid herself with this one. I can imagine her chortling away as she was writing it, and even today, some eighty years after original publication, it is still a masterful puzzler. There are better writers and there are more exciting plots but with a trainload of fascinating characters trapped in an isolated setting, Agatha Christie delivers a subtle enigma enhanced with clever and witty dialogue, and shows how she became known as the Queen of the Golden Age Mysteries. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jun 2, 2015 |
I am a huge Miss Marple fan - this was my first Poirot, but I think I am on the way to being a fan of his, too. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
This is one of Agatha Christie's best-known Poirot mysteries, and the second book with that detective that I have read. There will not be a third...why? It was an okay read for me, but there were too many cliches, and Poirot doesn't impress me. ( )
  fuzzi | Mar 13, 2015 |
A book that keeps you guessing till the last.A very nice read indeed ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
The book is filled with entertaining and descriptive events that will leave readers anticipating more.

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
M.E.L.M.
Arpachiyah, 1933
It was five o'clock on a winter's morning in Syria.
"Colonel Arbuthnot smokes a pipe," he said. "In the compartment of Mr. Ratchett I found a pipe-cleaner. Mr. Ratchett smoked only cigars."....
Poirot shook his head violently. "That is just it...it is impossible--quite impossible -- that an honourable, slightly stupid, upright Englishman should stab an enemy twelve times with a knife! Do you not feel, my friends, how impossible it is? "That is the psychology." said M. Bouc. "And one must respect the psychology. This crime has a signature, and it is certainly not the signature of Colonel Arbuthnot." (p. 121,122).
aka Murder in the Calais Coach

Everyone did it,
Or maybe just one person,
Or no one at all.
(SandSing7)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425200450, Mass Market Paperback)

Agatha Christie's most famous murder mystery, reissued with a striking new cover designed to appeal to the latest generation of Agatha Christie fans and book lovers. Just after midnight, a snowdrift stops the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train is surprisingly full for the time of the year, but by the morning it is one passenger fewer. An American tycoon lies dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. Isolated and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule Poirot must identify the murderer - in case he or she decides to strike again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:02 -0400)

Just after midnight, a snowdrift stopped the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train was surprisingly full for the time of year, but by the morning there was one passenger fewer. An American lay dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. With tension mounting, detective Hercule Poirot comes up with not one, but two solutions to the crime.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,843,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible