Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha…

Murder on the Orient Express (original 1934; edition 1991)

by Agatha Christie

Title:Murder on the Orient Express
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harpercollins (Mm) (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:mystery, read in 2013, Christie

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (1934)

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Both Christie classics, where no-one and everyone could have done the murder.
    The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett (ashleylauren)

English (148)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (159)
A re-read, but none the worse for it. Ingenious. ( )
  cazfrancis | Nov 8, 2015 |
It's amazing that a novel that has been around for as long as it has, is still as entertaining as any modern day mystery. I was so impressed with the plot, the way the details unfold, and the ending. A great detective novel that stands the test of time! ( )
  Alie | Sep 24, 2015 |
This was at least my dozenth time reading the book and the first after our latest re-watch of the David Suchet adaptation. One of my chief complaints with the adaptation has proven to be unfounded, which is a relief, but the book is still better. The threatening letters to Ratchett cracked me up this time around, because they sounded so "movie gangster" -- they literally said "We're going to GET you -- see?" Why not add a "nyah!" for good measure, anonymous letter-writer?!

This is a classic and should definitely be read if you're interested in Agatha Christie, even if you know the ending. The fun lies in seeing how she constructed the plot. ( )
1 vote rabbitprincess | Sep 10, 2015 |
I remember being enthralled by this when I read it when I was 12 or 13, but this time around I found it mostly tedious. I don't know if that speaks to my more refined tastes or diminished attention span. ( )
1 vote Lauren.Klepac | Jul 13, 2015 |
Good mystery easy to read and holds your attention. ( )
1 vote Philip100 | Jul 1, 2015 |
The book is filled with entertaining and descriptive events that will leave readers anticipating more.
Estambul, pleno invierno. Poirot decide tomar el Orient Express que en esta época suele hacer su recorrido prácticamente vacío. Pero aquel día, el tren va lleno y sólo gracias a una buena amiga consigue una litera en el coche-cama. A la mañana siguiente se despierta, descubre que una tormenta de nieve ha obligado a detener el tren y que un americano, llamado Ratcher, ha sido apuñalado salvajemente. Aparentemente nadie ha entrado ni ha salido del coche-cama. El asesino, sin duda, es alguno de los ocupantes entre los que se encuentra una altiva princesa rusa y una institutriz inglesa.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Seeberg, Axel S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Arpachiyah, 1933
It was five o'clock on a winter's morning in Syria.
"Colonel Arbuthnot smokes a pipe," he said. "In the compartment of Mr. Ratchett I found a pipe-cleaner. Mr. Ratchett smoked only cigars."....
Poirot shook his head violently. "That is just it...it is impossible--quite impossible -- that an honourable, slightly stupid, upright Englishman should stab an enemy twelve times with a knife! Do you not feel, my friends, how impossible it is? "That is the psychology." said M. Bouc. "And one must respect the psychology. This crime has a signature, and it is certainly not the signature of Colonel Arbuthnot." (p. 121,122).
aka Murder in the Calais Coach

Everyone did it,
Or maybe just one person,
Or no one at all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425200450, Mass Market Paperback)

Agatha Christie's most famous murder mystery, reissued with a striking new cover designed to appeal to the latest generation of Agatha Christie fans and book lovers. Just after midnight, a snowdrift stops the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train is surprisingly full for the time of the year, but by the morning it is one passenger fewer. An American tycoon lies dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. Isolated and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule Poirot must identify the murderer - in case he or she decides to strike again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:36 -0400)

Just after midnight, a snowdrift stopped the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train was surprisingly full for the time of year, but by the morning there was one passenger fewer. An American lay dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. With tension mounting, detective Hercule Poirot comes up with not one, but two solutions to the crime.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible