Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha…

Murder on the Orient Express (original 1934; edition 1991)

by Agatha Christie

8,763199346 (4.05)463
Member:drewfull
Title:Murder on the Orient Express
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harpercollins (Mm) (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:mystery, read in 2013, Christie

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (1934)

English (186)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Piratical (1)  All (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All (199)
To be perfectly honest, the main reason I picked this up was because a couple of Agatha Christie's books have been worked into episodes of Doctor Who. So I figured it was about time I dipped into this classic.

It's like swimming in a sea of red herrings. You watch as they follow one lead then something can't be right so they back up and try another way. Then nothing makes sense, but then Mr. Poirot sits in his Thinking Chair and Think, Think, Thinks. Then finally comes the grand reveal that made the previous 6/8 of the book (I skimmed some parts) worth it. My personality is such that I don't have the curiosity or patience to guess along with a mystery and formulate my own theories (You mean I have to use my brain? So lazy... Just tell me what happened pls), but after the solution is presented and one thinks back on all the clues leading to it (or away from it) this elicited profound admiration at the central idea. One of those "it's so crazy it just might work!" schemes, but so well-constructed so that it didn't fall apart in the execution.

I'm realize I'm being vague (or maybe I just don't know how to write in-depth reviews) so that anyone else can approach this spoiler-free, as I did. I'm the type of person to look up the plot of something before I read or watch it, and in this case I'm glad I didn't because that would have ruined my entire experience.

tldr: I don't normally read mystery, but this blew my mind. Well done. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
I DID NOT EXPECT THAT
i initially wanted to give this 4 stars but then the last 5% happened and that was amazing it completely took me by surprise. it was so so much better than i expected, i really didn't think i would like this much, and i think i will be reading more of her books in the near future. (surprisingly i really liked poirot and the language was exactly what i was in the mood for) ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
I thought I would love this given my affinity for "And Then There Were None" but this came across as a very blase whodunnit of no particular artistry or interest. I can't help but wonder if it's a akin to the must-reads of many Oprah Book Club books where people inhale the text because it's what everyone else is reading but then no longer stand on its own once the The Garmlich Effect has died down. ( )
  benuathanasia | May 26, 2017 |
How often does a book or movie that has become a cultural touchstone over the years actually live up to the hype once you have a chance to read or watch it? Not very often, it seems, but this classic Agatha Christie whodunit did all that and more for me.

How long have I been familiar with the existence and the idea of Murder on the Orient Express? It feels like my whole life, but surely there must have been a few years there at the beginning when the little Belgian detective with the egg-shaped head and the funny moustaches had not entered my consciousness. Certainly, Christie's novel has taken such hold of the cultural zeitgeist that there have been homages of the literary ([The Woman on the Orient Express], [All Quiet on the Orient Express]), cinematic (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the Orient Express), musical (Swingin' on the Orient Express) and theatrical ('Mozart's "Abduction" on the Orient Express').

But for all of my familiarity with the concept of Christie's masterwork, I knew very little about the particulars. I knew there was a murder (well, duh, it's in the title) but I didn't know either whodunit or who was dun. And that fact kept me reading long past my bedtime two nights in a row until I finally got through the denouement and sighed with happy satisfaction. It might be an exaggeration to say Dame Christie never disappoints (I've not yet worked my way through her entire oeuvre) but she certainly doesn't here. ( )
  rosalita | Apr 6, 2017 |
Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie *****

I’m not really sure how, but after watching Poirot for a number of years on the TV I managed to never see Murder on the Orient Express, this at least meant that the plot was fresh to me and no surprises ruined. I have only read a few Agatha Christie and she is still an author I am beginning to discover.

Most of the action takes place in the same place, aboard the Orient Express with a Poirot being asked to look into the murder of an American Tycoon. One by one he interrogates each passenger on the train and in true Christie style he discovers that the majority have a motive and a hidden past. We see the little grey cells at work and soon he begins to see through the acts and subterfuges, eventually cumulating in one of his famous suspect get together, where the truth is ousted.

This was a strange book, because two thirds of the way through I thought I had it all sewn up and really thought that the plot was a bit ridiculous and Christie had used the ‘coincidence’ card a little too much, but when the ending came I realised just how brilliant the plot actually was. Definitely worth a look whether you are a fan of Christie or not and what better place to start than probably her most famous novel. ( )
1 vote Bridgey | Jan 19, 2017 |
The book is filled with entertaining and descriptive events that will leave readers anticipating more.

Estambul, pleno invierno. Poirot decide tomar el Orient Express que en esta época suele hacer su recorrido prácticamente vacío. Pero aquel día, el tren va lleno y sólo gracias a una buena amiga consigue una litera en el coche-cama. A la mañana siguiente se despierta, descubre que una tormenta de nieve ha obligado a detener el tren y que un americano, llamado Ratcher, ha sido apuñalado salvajemente. Aparentemente nadie ha entrado ni ha salido del coche-cama. El asesino, sin duda, es alguno de los ocupantes entre los que se encuentra una altiva princesa rusa y una institutriz inglesa.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
M.E.L.M.
Arpachiyah, 1933
It was five o'clock on a winter's morning in Syria.
"Colonel Arbuthnot smokes a pipe," he said. "In the compartment of Mr. Ratchett I found a pipe-cleaner. Mr. Ratchett smoked only cigars."....
Poirot shook his head violently. "That is just it...it is impossible--quite impossible -- that an honourable, slightly stupid, upright Englishman should stab an enemy twelve times with a knife! Do you not feel, my friends, how impossible it is? "That is the psychology." said M. Bouc. "And one must respect the psychology. This crime has a signature, and it is certainly not the signature of Colonel Arbuthnot." (p. 121,122).
aka Murder in the Calais Coach

Everyone did it,
Or maybe just one person,
Or no one at all.
(SandSing7)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425200450, Mass Market Paperback)

Agatha Christie's most famous murder mystery, reissued with a striking new cover designed to appeal to the latest generation of Agatha Christie fans and book lovers. Just after midnight, a snowdrift stops the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train is surprisingly full for the time of the year, but by the morning it is one passenger fewer. An American tycoon lies dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. Isolated and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule Poirot must identify the murderer - in case he or she decides to strike again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:36 -0400)

Just after midnight, a snowdrift stopped the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train was surprisingly full for the time of year, but by the morning there was one passenger fewer. An American lay dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. With tension mounting, detective Hercule Poirot comes up with not one, but two solutions to the crime.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,327,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible