Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha…

Murder on the Orient Express (original 1934; edition 2004)

by Agatha Christie

Member:sullijo
Title:Murder on the Orient Express
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Berkley (2004), Edition: 1St Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:@home, Poirot, fiction, mystery

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (1934)

Recently added byprivate library, KarenLJohnson, abc13, amvh, larryz223, amurphy, Korinnas

English (271)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Piratical (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (285)
My mom and I watch a lot of British TV together when I visit her. Especially murder mystery shows. Lately, we’ve been watching Hercules Poirot. When I was looking for a new audiobook, my mind immediately jumped to murder mysteries. I discovered the most recent edition of Murder on the Orient Express was narrated by Dan Stevens. Intrigued, I checked it out. I wasn’t expecting anything fantastic, but man, this was a really fun audiobook to listen to!

The plot, for anyone who doesn’t know-Poirot is traveling back to London on the Orient express. One night, an American man with an unpleasant face, Mr. Ratchett, is murdered in his sleeping quarters. Poirot’s friend, Mr. Bouc, who works for the train company, enlists him in solving the murder. When Mr. Ratchett proves to be more than he seems, the case takes on a whole new turn. A wide cast of characters and some revelations revealed lead to one of the more famous twists in a murder mystery.

So, for me, the best thing about this book was Dan Stevens. He’s a fantastic narrator & Can do a wide variety of voices and accents, including English (obviously), American (both men and women), French, Belgium, Swedish and others. Listening to him narrate the story just made me realize how wasted he was in movies such as the 2017 live action Beauty & the Beast. Give him more voice work to do! Or something that allows them to have more fun. Dan Stevens really elevated this story for me.

I also really liked the characters. They all fit into different murder mystery stereotypes, but still felt flushed out. Without revealing too much, everyone fits into the final twist nicely, which is iconic.

If you’ve ever had any desire to read a Poirot novel, I highly recommend the audiobook version of murder on the Orient express. Specially the Dan Stevens addition. It’s fun & it keeps you on your toes. I think I’ll have to watch a movie version next, but maybe not the Kenneth Brannaugh version, because Johnny Depp. ( )
  rkcraig88 | Jul 15, 2019 |
Another of those Poirot stories that my spouse thought I should read after we watched the video. I liked the video, this book was supremely boring and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Very dry and all cardboard characterization. Yeah, it gave it 3*s, but it should really be 3*-. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
One of Christie's classic and one of her most well known novels. The great Belgian detective Hercule Poirot is on the Orient Express when it is stopped in its tracks by an avalanche which delays the train for several days. While waiting a murder occurs and Poirot is employed to solve it. In classic Christie style, Poirot gets to the bottom of the mystery when he discovers a surprising twist in solving who is to blame for the murder. Raising this to 5 stars from the 4 I originally put. ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |
I read this for the first time many years ago and thought it would be interesting to read it again even though I know the solution to the mystery - it was impossible to forget. I enjoyed it just as much, maybe even more because I was able to get an idea of how Christie's ideas developed. As well, I've seen David Suchet's documentary about the Orient Express which helped visualize it better and I noticed the small, seemingly inconsequential details, like the watch hook, which really does exist, and which the victim did not use. Considering this was written in 1934 it shows considerably more talent, knowledge and style than others of the same vintage. There is no doubt Ms Christie deserves the full five stars. ( )
  VivienneR | Jun 7, 2019 |
I enjoyed reading this book. Surprising and well written. ( )
  JantTommason | Jun 3, 2019 |
The book is filled with entertaining and descriptive events that will leave readers anticipating more.

Estambul, pleno invierno. Poirot decide tomar el Orient Express que en esta época suele hacer su recorrido prácticamente vacío. Pero aquel día, el tren va lleno y sólo gracias a una buena amiga consigue una litera en el coche-cama. A la mañana siguiente se despierta, descubre que una tormenta de nieve ha obligado a detener el tren y que un americano, llamado Ratcher, ha sido apuñalado salvajemente. Aparentemente nadie ha entrado ni ha salido del coche-cama. El asesino, sin duda, es alguno de los ocupantes entre los que se encuentra una altiva princesa rusa y una institutriz inglesa.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Seeberg, Axel S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, DanReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suchet, DavidReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Death on the Nile / Murder on the Orient Express / The A.B.C. Murders / Cards on the Table / Thirteen at Dinner by Agatha Christie

Hercule Poirotin johtolangat : viisi kuulua mysteeriä by Agatha Christie

Poirot: The Perfect Murders: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Murder on the Orient Express, Murder in the News, Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express [and] 4:50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie

A Treasury of Great Mysteries [Volume 1] by Howard Haycraft

Um Crime no Expresso do Oriente / O Mistério de Listerdale by Agatha Christie

A Murder is Announced [and] Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie Mystery Collection: Three Mysteries plus Companion Guide by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express / The Secret Adversary / The Big Four by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie Collection by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express [and] The Hollow by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express / The Mysterious Affair at Styles / Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie

The Mysterious Affair at Styles / Murder on the Orient Express / The A.B.C. Murders / Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie Crime Collection: Murder on the Orient Express / Death in the Clouds / Why Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie

After the Funeral / Death in the Clouds / Murder on the Orient Express / Why Didn’t They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie

Murders to Die For by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd [and] Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd / Murder on the Orient Express / Thirteen at Dinner by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express / Death on the Nile / The Mirror Cracked / The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Agatha Christie Boxed Set) by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Murder on the Orient Express [In Russian Language] Ten Little Niggers. At Bertram's Hotel. Pieces by Agatha Christie

The World's Favourite by Agatha Christie

Lord Edgware Dies [and] Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

Dame Agatha Abroad: Murder on the Orient Express / Murder in Mesopotamia / They Came to Bagdad by Agatha Christie

Four Novels: Murder on the Orient Express, Cards on the Table, Five Little Pigs, Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie

The Best of Poirot: Murder on the Orient Express, Cards on the Table, Hercule Poirot's Christmas, Five Little Pigs, The Labours of Hercules by Agatha Christie

The Agatha Christie Collection: The Mirror Crack'd / Death on the Nile / Murder on the Orient Express / Endless Night by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express [and] Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

Hickory Dickory Death / Murder on the Orient Express / The Mystery of the Blue Train / A Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express and Other Hercule Poirot Mysteries (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) by Agatha Christie

Murder in the Calais Coach [and] Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express [and] The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express and Other Destinations: 75th Anniversary Edition by Agatha Christie

Moord in de Oriënt-expres / De moordenaar heet Fox by Agatha Christie

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

To
M.E.L.M.
Arpachiyah, 1933
It was five o'clock on a winter's morning in Syria.
"Colonel Arbuthnot smokes a pipe," he said. "In the compartment of Mr. Ratchett I found a pipe-cleaner. Mr. Ratchett smoked only cigars."....
Poirot shook his head violently. "That is just it...it is impossible—quite impossible—that an honourable, slightly stupid, upright Englishman should stab an enemy twelve times with a knife! Do you not feel, my friends, how impossible it is? "That is the psychology." said M. Bouc. "And one must respect the psychology. This crime has a signature, and it is certainly not the signature of Colonel Arbuthnot." (p. 121,122).
aka Murder in the Calais Coach

Everyone did it,
Or maybe just one person,
Or no one at all.
(SandSing7)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425200450, Mass Market Paperback)

Agatha Christie's most famous murder mystery, reissued with a striking new cover designed to appeal to the latest generation of Agatha Christie fans and book lovers. Just after midnight, a snowdrift stops the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train is surprisingly full for the time of the year, but by the morning it is one passenger fewer. An American tycoon lies dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. Isolated and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule Poirot must identify the murderer - in case he or she decides to strike again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:36 -0400)

Just after midnight, a snowdrift stopped the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train was surprisingly full for the time of year, but by the morning there was one passenger fewer. An American lay dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. With tension mounting, detective Hercule Poirot comes up with not one, but two solutions to the crime.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,269,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible