dismiss

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (1999)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (3)

87,1848493 (4.4)9 / 871
During his third year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter must confront the devious and dangerous wizard responsible for his parents' deaths.
1990s (7)
Elevenses (122)
1990s (34)
Ghosts (95)
books (1)

English (796)  Dutch (11)  German (8)  Spanish (7)  French (7)  Italian (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (845)
First of all, this book wasn't as adventurous as the previous ones, but it still had a crucial role to play in this franchise. Not only did it introduce some really awesome characters (Remus Lupin and Sirius Black) but also introduced us to a lot of back-story about Harry's parents. So overall, this book was mostly just a filler and wasn't as exciting. After a while I got bored by all the Sirius Black talk and lack of something actually happening.
It was good but there was a deliberate attempt to create suspense which I was getting bored by.

Coming to characters, I absolutely hated Hermione in this one. Not only is she a snob who is so afraid of not being perfect in everything, she also has no regards for her Divination teacher. Just because she doesn't have the aptitude for that certain kind of magic she throws nasty comments at Sybill Trelawney.
She was probably the least favouraite character of mine who wasn't actually evil. I pretty much hate her in this book. Even Ron, whom I didn't like much in the movies is way better than her.

Overall the book was good. I am basically in love with Black and Lupin. Not only are they the most tragic characters so far, they have such a unique personality to read about. If only we could see more of Black and Lupin, this might have turned out to be my favourite book so far.
I kind of feel that the Marauders had much more fun than Harry and his friends ever have. I am also aware that Harry names one of his son after Snape and that does not make sense, at least not so far. But considering how Snape acts as a jealous loser all the time and tries taking out his buried rage on everything associated with James Potter, I don't think anything can justify that name.
Moving on to Goblet of Fire (the movie was my favourite, so high expectations). ( )
  AzuraScarlet | Aug 1, 2020 |
A wonderfully mysterious and action packed volume. Plenty of mystery, suspense and twists and turns. My favorite one so far. ( )
  spaceman5000 | Jul 23, 2020 |
The third installment of the Harry Potter books is one of the darkest, and one of the best. Harry is being hunted by an escaped fugitive out for revenge. He discovers more and more about the sinister forces that threaten the wizarding world. The characters begin to get more developed and more complex, and an awful lot more interesting. The time travel aspect was a little convoluted, but was incorporated well into the plot at least. ( )
  Mapers8 | Jul 20, 2020 |
I am enjoying my re-read of the Harry Potter Books. I may just re-read books from now on. There are over 600 books that I have notes for. My memory is bad and I don't recall everything that goes on. However, re-reading does uncover some negativity. For example, Hagrid teaches how to approach Hippogrith. If not done correctly the creature does some damage. At the end of the book Hermione and Sirius are able to bypass the steps. I do stand by my original comment.
Original comment:
Werewolves are awesome.
86,535 members; 4.4 average rating; 6/16/2020 ( )
  mainrun | Jul 7, 2020 |
Ik hou zo van dit boek, het zit zo ontzettend goed in elkaar! Ik heb het al zo vaak gelezen en nog steeds lees ik de laatste 100 bladzijdes met ingehouden adem. ( )
  prettygoodyear | Jun 29, 2020 |
All current reviews of Harry Potter books should probably be addressed to some future audience for whom Harry is book rather than phenomenon; at the moment, reviews seem superfluous. For the record, then, O future reader, this latest installment in Harry’s saga is quite a good book.

So far, in terms of plot, the books do nothing very new, but they do it brilliantly

Igual que en las dos primeras partes de la serie –La piedra filosofal y La cámara secreta– Harry aguarda con impaciencia el inicio del tercer curso en el Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Tras haber cumplido los trece años, solo y lejos de sus amigos de Hogwarts, Harry se pelea con su bigotuda tía Marge, a la que convierte en globo, y debe huir en un autobús mágico. Mientras tanto, de la prisión de Azkaban se ha escapado un terrible villano, Sirius Black, un asesino en serie con poderes mágicos que fue cómplice de lord Voldemort y que parece dispuesto a eliminar a Harry del mapa. Y por si esto fuera poco, Harry deberá enfrentarse también a unos terribles monstruos, los dementores, seres abominables capaces de robarles la felicidad a los magos y de borrar todo recuerdo hermoso de aquellos que osan mirarlos. Lo que ninguno de estos malvados personajes sabe es que Harry, con la ayuda de sus fieles amigos Ron y Hermione, es capaz de todo y mucho más.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

To Jill Prewett and Aine Kiely,
the Godmothers of Swing
J.K. Rowling
For Tony and Jo
with thanks for being such wonderful friends
Jim Kay
Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.

The Wizarding world is shocked to hear a mass Murderer has escaped from the prison they call Azkaban. Sirius Black is said to have murdered countless muggles (non magic folk) and parents are locking up their children. Harry Potter has started school and is going on his first trip to Hogs Mead when by shear luck he overhears the Miniter for Magic wisper his name. Harry Follows him using his invisibility cloak and discovers why Mr Weasley warned him about Black personally before school had started. Sirius Black had been a friend of his Parents, was the one who sold them out to Voldemort and worst of all he was and still is to this day Harry's God Father. Harry knows thats why Sirius has escaped, he knows he's coming for him and he can't wait because when he finds him, Harry will be ready.......Full of death and Suspense, this book is defiantly the darkest yet and shows that Magic isn't just cool tricks and bright lights.

AR Level 6.7, 18 pts
Dvanaest dugih godina tvrđava Askaban skrivala je među svojim zidinama tajanstvenog zatvorenika po imenu Sirijus Blek. Optužen da je ubio trinaestoro ljudi bacivši na njih kletvu i za njega se smatra da je neposredni naslednik gospodara tame, lorda Voldemora.
Sada je pobegao i živi tamo gde može da bude glavni: kada je Hari Poter porazio Znate-već-koga to je bio i pad Bleka. Čuvari tvrđave Askaban čuli su kako Blek mrmlja u snu: "On je u Hogvortsu, on je u Hogvortsu..." Hari Poter nije bezbedan čak ni u čarobnjačkoj školi gde je okružen svojim prijateljima zato što se sumnja da je među njima izdajnik...
Made a mistake by

establishing time travel.

Will fix in book five.

(CathWhitney)
First teacher I like

turns out to be a monster.

Cannot catch a break.

(CathWhitney)
Sybil Trelawny
was right. The grim in Harry's
cup WAS Sirius.
(TheLittlePhrase)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,855,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible