Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban…

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Book 3) (original 1999; edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

81,8038003 (4.4)9 / 844
Member:fkhamer
Title:Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Book 3)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré
Info:Scholastic (1999), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 448 pages

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling (1999)

1990s (20)
Elevenses (122)
Ghosts (37)
books (1)

English (751)  Dutch (11)  German (9)  Spanish (7)  French (7)  Italian (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (801)
This is my favorite of the series, but I am puzzled: why, on P. 1, does she include the HW assignment on Gwendoline the Fant. on the inefficacity of 14th cent. burnings and the 47 intentional catches? I do not recall that information used later on in the series, and am wondering if, aside from an interesting possible social commentary, which is good, what other function, from the novel or series pov, that paragraph served? I would have been afraid to keep such a long bit in my own novel.
Shira
William-James-MEOW-Date: Wednesday, July 11. 12014 H.E. (Holocene Era)
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
As I've mentioned before, I'm older than the Harry Potter generation and have only read these books as an adult, never as a child. I think that greatly changes my opinion and I can't shake the idea that Harry's adventurous nature is really just thinly-veiled arrogance and dickishness. Especially in this book, Harry is an absolute idiot. As several characters point out, nearly everyone is going to significant lengths and expense to keep him safe, and he's gallivanting around and completely undoing everyone's efforts to protect him. From an adult's viewpoint, it's maddening.

This book has also soured me a bit on James & Co. They were also jerks in their own right, and the idea that James would've expected Haqary to follow in his footsteps is...come on, James. Be an adult and hope your child turns out better than you did rather than hoping he spores to be even more of a pain of everyone's collective behind. "Boys will be boys" is not a sound philosophy for child-rearing.
E
However, I think Harry is overall a great illustration of privilege. There are several aspects of his life where he's clearly not at the top of the heap: no one wants to be an orphan, live with an abusive family, grow up poor and neglected, and have an evil wizard constantly trying to kill them. But there are also places where he benefits immensely through no effort of his own: he's independently wealthy, all the adults at school are charmed by him, he gets to buck the rules and play Quidditch as a first year, and Dumbledore gives him every possible leg up. That's privilege in a nutshell, and it's a wonderfully accessible example for a lot of people.

I'm going to continue with my reread because I need something that isn't serious or heavy, but I do have one that Aunt Hermione steps in and lays down the law with Harry's kids. They need someone around with more need than their dad or Uncles Weasley.
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
Five stars for the Marauders and for every friendship like theirs. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
It's my second time through the series, and I still love it. The third book (this one) is where things really start to get exciting! ( )
  anitatally | Feb 28, 2019 |
This rating reflects the art.

Beautiful illustrations, some better choices. I had more words about the illustrated editions, but they got lost somewhere along the way. I only noticed they were gone when I started trying to fix some of the more important dead links in the thousand-odd reviews I imported into the site.

They're dead through my deleting of my Goodreads account, the import function on Booklikes is fantastic. I suspect any lost reviews are user error (i.e. my fault), and shouldn't reflect on this site.

Anyway, I expect to have an illustrated 'Goblet of Fire' ready for my better half under the tree, and I'll try to do a more thorough critique.

Harry Potter

Next: 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Illustrated'

Previous: 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Illustrated' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 21, 2019 |
All current reviews of Harry Potter books should probably be addressed to some future audience for whom Harry is book rather than phenomenon; at the moment, reviews seem superfluous. For the record, then, O future reader, this latest installment in Harry’s saga is quite a good book.

So far, in terms of plot, the books do nothing very new, but they do it brilliantly

Igual que en las dos primeras partes de la serie –La piedra filosofal y La cámara secreta– Harry aguarda con impaciencia el inicio del tercer curso en el Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Tras haber cumplido los trece años, solo y lejos de sus amigos de Hogwarts, Harry se pelea con su bigotuda tía Marge, a la que convierte en globo, y debe huir en un autobús mágico. Mientras tanto, de la prisión de Azkaban se ha escapado un terrible villano, Sirius Black, un asesino en serie con poderes mágicos que fue cómplice de lord Voldemort y que parece dispuesto a eliminar a Harry del mapa. Y por si esto fuera poco, Harry deberá enfrentarse también a unos terribles monstruos, los dementores, seres abominables capaces de robarles la felicidad a los magos y de borrar todo recuerdo hermoso de aquellos que osan mirarlos. Lo que ninguno de estos malvados personajes sabe es que Harry, con la ayuda de sus fieles amigos Ron y Hermione, es capaz de todo y mucho más.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

To Jill Prewett and Aine Kiely,
the Godmothers of Swing
J.K. Rowling
For Tony and Jo
with thanks for being such wonderful friends
Jim Kay
Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.

The Wizarding world is shocked to hear a mass Murderer has escaped from the prison they call Azkaban. Sirius Black is said to have murdered countless muggles (non magic folk) and parents are locking up their children. Harry Potter has started school and is going on his first trip to Hogs Mead when by shear luck he overhears the Miniter for Magic wisper his name. Harry Follows him using his invisibility cloak and discovers why Mr Weasley warned him about Black personally before school had started. Sirius Black had been a friend of his Parents, was the one who sold them out to Voldemort and worst of all he was and still is to this day Harry's God Father. Harry knows thats why Sirius has escaped, he knows he's coming for him and he can't wait because when he finds him, Harry will be ready.......Full of death and Suspense, this book is defiantly the darkest yet and shows that Magic isn't just cool tricks and bright lights.

AR Level 6.7, 18 pts
Dvanaest dugih godina tvrđava Askaban skrivala je među svojim zidinama tajanstvenog zatvorenika po imenu Sirijus Blek. Optužen da je ubio trinaestoro ljudi bacivši na njih kletvu i za njega se smatra da je neposredni naslednik gospodara tame, lorda Voldemora.
Sada je pobegao i živi tamo gde može da bude glavni: kada je Hari Poter porazio Znate-već-koga to je bio i pad Bleka. Čuvari tvrđave Askaban čuli su kako Blek mrmlja u snu: "On je u Hogvortsu, on je u Hogvortsu..." Hari Poter nije bezbedan čak ni u čarobnjačkoj školi gde je okružen svojim prijateljima zato što se sumnja da je među njima izdajnik...
Made a mistake by

establishing time travel.

Will fix in book five.

(CathWhitney)
First teacher I like

turns out to be a monster.

Cannot catch a break.

(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439136350, Hardcover)

For most children, summer vacation is something to look forward to. But not for our 13-year-old hero, who's forced to spend his summers with an aunt, uncle, and cousin who detest him. The third book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series catapults into action when the young wizard "accidentally" causes the Dursleys' dreadful visitor Aunt Marge to inflate like a monstrous balloon and drift up to the ceiling. Fearing punishment from Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon (and from officials at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry who strictly forbid students to cast spells in the nonmagic world of Muggles), Harry lunges out into the darkness with his heavy trunk and his owl Hedwig.

As it turns out, Harry isn't punished at all for his errant wizardry. Instead he is mysteriously rescued from his Muggle neighborhood and whisked off in a triple-decker, violently purple bus to spend the remaining weeks of summer in a friendly inn called the Leaky Cauldron. What Harry has to face as he begins his third year at Hogwarts explains why the officials let him off easily. It seems that Sirius Black--an escaped convict from the prison of Azkaban--is on the loose. Not only that, but he's after Harry Potter. But why? And why do the Dementors, the guards hired to protect him, chill Harry's very heart when others are unaffected? Once again, Rowling has created a mystery that will have children and adults cheering, not to mention standing in line for her next book. Fortunately, there are four more in the works. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:10 -0400)

"For twelve years, the dread fortress of Azkaban held an infamous prisoner named Sirius Black. Convicted of killing thirteen people with a single curse, he was said to be the heir apparent to the Dark Lord, Voldemort. Now he has escaped, leaving only two clues as to where he might be headed: Harry Potter's defeat of You-Know-Who was Black's downfall as well. And the Azkaban guards heard Black muttering in his sleep, "He's at Hogwarts." Harry Potter isn't safe, not even within the walls of his magical school, surrounded by his friends. Because on top of it all, there may well be a traitor in their midst"--Container.… (more)

5 12000

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,400,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible