Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by…

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (1999)

by J. K. Rowling, Jim Dale (Narrator)

67,7145772 (4.39)9 / 533
Member:The_Hibernator
Title:Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Jim Dale (Narrator)
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Young Adult, Fantasy, Banned, Witchcraft, England, Cats, Dogs, Werewolves, Boggarts, Hippogriffs

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling (1999)

English (539)  Dutch (10)  German (7)  French (5)  Spanish (3)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (577)
I liked this one. I thought it wasn't supposed to be as good, but maybe that was the movie. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 20, 2014 |
Sirius is easily my favourite Harry Potter character, and one of which we see so tragically little. I've never really been able to get into fanfiction, which might have assuaged some of pain surrounding my ill-focused favour, but alas.

Anyway, this one's The One Where It All Gets A Bit Dark. I do like it an awful lot, not least for that heart-wrenching scene near the end where Sirius suggests Harry could come and live with him that leaves me greeting into my hanky (or the dog, whatever's nearest).

However, my main memory associated with this is having recently rewatched the film and the horrible rendition of the "HE WAS THEIR FRIEND!" scene. Daniel Radcliffe's acting in that part is the stuff of nightmares. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
(5.9)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
The man believed to have killed Harry's parents escapes from the most secure prison in all of the wizarding world. Extreme measures are taken to protect Harry from the escaped convict, but him and his friends want to get to the bottom of why the prisoner killed his parents and is now so desperate to finish the job of killing Harry. ( )
  Srwhite | Oct 2, 2014 |
Okay, yes, I did get sucked into reading the rest of the series, at great cost to my productivity in all other areas of life last week. Now that I've both seen the movie and read the book, I have to say that this movie was the least faithful to the letter of the book, but the most faithful to the spirit. At least it works as a movie better than the other two, without the feeling of being greatly constrained in trying to stuff too much detail into too short a time. In the third movie, the director/screenwriter went through the book with a machete. But then, it had to be done.

I liked the introduction of Sirius Black, who was to me, the first interesting adult character in the book. And I'm liking Hermione more and more as the series progresses. I couldn't stand her in the first book. Watching her slowly unravel over the course of the book under various stresses was one of the few things that the movie really didn't capture at all.

It was also a nice touch in the movie to have the twins finish each others' sentences, something that I don't think was ever really in the book. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
All current reviews of Harry Potter books should probably be addressed to some future audience for whom Harry is book rather than phenomenon; at the moment, reviews seem superfluous. For the record, then, O future reader, this latest installment in Harry’s saga is quite a good book.

So far, in terms of plot, the books do nothing very new, but they do it brilliantly

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jill Prewett and Aine Kiely, the Godmothers of Swing
Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.
The Wizarding world is shocked to hear a mass Murderer has escaped from the prison they call Azkaban. Sirius Black is said to have murdered countless muggles (non magic folk) and parents are locking up their children. Harry Potter has started school and is going on his first trip to Hogs Mead when by shear luck he overhears the Miniter for Magic wisper his name. Harry Follows him using his invisibility cloak and discovers why Mr Weasley warned him about Black personally before school had started. Sirius Black had been a friend of his Parents, was the one who sold them out to Voldemort and worst of all he was and still is to this day Harry's God Father. Harry knows thats why Sirius has escaped, he knows he's coming for him and he can't wait because when he finds him, Harry will be ready.......Full of death and Suspense, this book is defiantly the darkest yet and shows that Magic isn't just cool tricks and bright lights.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439136350, Hardcover)

For most children, summer vacation is something to look forward to. But not for our 13-year-old hero, who's forced to spend his summers with an aunt, uncle, and cousin who detest him. The third book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series catapults into action when the young wizard "accidentally" causes the Dursleys' dreadful visitor Aunt Marge to inflate like a monstrous balloon and drift up to the ceiling. Fearing punishment from Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon (and from officials at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry who strictly forbid students to cast spells in the nonmagic world of Muggles), Harry lunges out into the darkness with his heavy trunk and his owl Hedwig.

As it turns out, Harry isn't punished at all for his errant wizardry. Instead he is mysteriously rescued from his Muggle neighborhood and whisked off in a triple-decker, violently purple bus to spend the remaining weeks of summer in a friendly inn called the Leaky Cauldron. What Harry has to face as he begins his third year at Hogwarts explains why the officials let him off easily. It seems that Sirius Black--an escaped convict from the prison of Azkaban--is on the loose. Not only that, but he's after Harry Potter. But why? And why do the Dementors, the guards hired to protect him, chill Harry's very heart when others are unaffected? Once again, Rowling has created a mystery that will have children and adults cheering, not to mention standing in line for her next book. Fortunately, there are four more in the works. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:51 -0400)

During his third year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter must confront the devious and dangerous wizard responsible for his parents' deaths.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,480,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible