Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by…

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (1999)

by J. K. Rowling, Jim Dale (Narrator)

68,5115962 (4.39)9 / 552
Member:The_Hibernator
Title:Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Jim Dale (Narrator)
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Young Adult, Fantasy, Banned, Witchcraft, England, Cats, Dogs, Werewolves, Boggarts, Hippogriffs

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling (1999)

English (558)  Dutch (10)  German (7)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (597)
series- 5th grade, 3rd book in the HP series
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 24, 2015 |
I had a great time reading this book to our 6 children as we drove across the USA, camping and visiting historical sites. We got hooked into the Harry Potter series and enjoyed each and every book, as well as the movies based on them. We recommend these fun, adventuresome books into this magical world to children, families...and adults who just love children's books! ( )
  CILLYart4U | Feb 16, 2015 |
Note: This review is full of snark and foul language. I downed a full bottle of Hater-Ade before writing this, so Potter Fans beware. I really didn't like this one.

I've been doing a bit of counting. Let's talk numbers, shall we?

30 Potter fans have said, "It gets better." As if this series is the literary equivalent of a bullied teenager and the first three books are high school. I haven't given up, though, so all's good, folks. I will finish this series. I just hope that one of the future doorstops in the collection blows my hair back like a Trojan Condoms' commercial. Shit, I'll even settle for one of them being above a three-star read at this point.

13 Potter fans told me to skip the first three books, to start with GOBLET OF FIRE, and read on from there. I should have listened. Other than the Deathday Party and the Evil Garden Gnomes, there's not much difference between the films and the books. Nothing of import, anyway. The third book is especially boring if you've seen the movie because it's exactly the same. The only difference (and this might be my memory failing me) is that we're actually told in the book why Harry's patronus is a stag. I don't believe the movie went into that.

(Prongs... *snickers*)

5 different Potter fans told me that, by this book, things got "darker" or "more adult". I feel ya, I do, but this one is still tamer than Mormon sex. Yeah, Harry has some dark thoughts concerning Sirius, but, overall, I was very meh about the whole situation. I will say that the book's plot delivery is shit when compared to the film. The film is succinct and not confusing in the least. The book meanders, drifts back on course, meanders a bit more, takes a lunch break, scratches itself in public, and then resumes the plot. There are pages and pages of nothing. This fucker takes a test. That fucker aces a test. This motherfucker screws up. That motherfucker does some shit right. And on... and on... and on... If I chopped off my penis and became a catholic priest in a priory whose parish consisted of nothing but lesbian nuns, I'd STILL have more of a fuck to give than I do for this book.

In summation: 1 person named J. K. Rowling managed to create an entire generation of readers because of this series alone. I give her credit where credit is due, but this book bored my balls off. I haven't any testicles now. Thanks, Rowling. Thanks a lot.

Final Judgment: Castrated and off to the priesthood.
1 vote Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
Do I even need to review this? It's HP, of course it's good. PoA is one of my favorites in the series, too. ( )
  jwarbler | Feb 6, 2015 |
This is the third time I've read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, but the first since finishing Deathly Hallows and first time reading it critically. I've tailored this review in the following in mind: the intended audience for the book (much younger than myself) and it's place in the series.

"Prisoner of Azkaban" is a little over a hundred pages longer than the first two books Rowlings wrote, but still features brevity and brilliant word choice that keeps the pace of the book going strong for her younger target audience without taking away from the more advanced plot. Having built a strong foundation in her worldbuilding of the Wizarding World, Rowlings grew the scoop of her narrative further back in time to when Harry's parents attended Hogwarts. Unlike the previous two books, the central focus is not on Voldemort attempting to return but the escape of his accomplice in murder of the Potters' from the aforementioned Azkaban and the threat to Harry's own life.

[SPOILERS BELOW]
Building upon the overall story in the first two books, "Prisoner of Azkaban" changes things up by not involving Voldemort directly in the plot but the results of his actions are ever present. Like "Chamber of Secrets", Harry encounters magic in the book though this time he's the one doing the magic directly. Once again Harry spends a good amount of time in the Wizarding World before returning to Hogwarts by staying at the Leaky Cauldron and exploring Diagon Alley, allowing the reader to explore with him. Harry learns about Sirius Black in small doses throughout the book including why the Ministry and others are being overprotective. Besides Sirius, the readers are introduced to Remus Lupin, Buckbeak, and the dementors for the first time though none of them will have a bigger impact than Peter Pettigrew. The depth of the plot, the more mature content, and not-everything-is-made right ending of the book gave readers a sense of things to come while keeping the "innocence" of the first two books. "Prisoner of Azkaban" is not where Harry's story turns darker, but there is definitely a shadow.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is a brilliant transitioning book, not as "light" as the first two and not as "dark" as the series would get, that stands up over time. For many, including maybe myself, it is their favorite book of the entire series. ( )
  mattries37315 | Jan 28, 2015 |
All current reviews of Harry Potter books should probably be addressed to some future audience for whom Harry is book rather than phenomenon; at the moment, reviews seem superfluous. For the record, then, O future reader, this latest installment in Harry’s saga is quite a good book.

So far, in terms of plot, the books do nothing very new, but they do it brilliantly

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jill Prewett and Aine Kiely, the Godmothers of Swing
Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.
The Wizarding world is shocked to hear a mass Murderer has escaped from the prison they call Azkaban. Sirius Black is said to have murdered countless muggles (non magic folk) and parents are locking up their children. Harry Potter has started school and is going on his first trip to Hogs Mead when by shear luck he overhears the Miniter for Magic wisper his name. Harry Follows him using his invisibility cloak and discovers why Mr Weasley warned him about Black personally before school had started. Sirius Black had been a friend of his Parents, was the one who sold them out to Voldemort and worst of all he was and still is to this day Harry's God Father. Harry knows thats why Sirius has escaped, he knows he's coming for him and he can't wait because when he finds him, Harry will be ready.......Full of death and Suspense, this book is defiantly the darkest yet and shows that Magic isn't just cool tricks and bright lights.
Dvanaest dugih godina tvrđava Askaban skrivala je među svojim zidinama tajanstvenog zatvorenika po imenu Sirijus Blek. Optužen da je ubio trinaestoro ljudi bacivši na njih kletvu i za njega se smatra da je neposredni naslednik gospodara tame, lorda Voldemora.
Sada je pobegao i živi tamo gde može da bude glavni: kada je Hari Poter porazio Znate-već-koga to je bio i pad Bleka. Čuvari tvrđave Askaban čuli su kako Blek mrmlja u snu: "On je u Hogvortsu, on je u Hogvortsu..." Hari Poter nije bezbedan čak ni u čarobnjačkoj školi gde je okružen svojim prijateljima zato što se sumnja da je među njima izdajnik...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439136350, Hardcover)

For most children, summer vacation is something to look forward to. But not for our 13-year-old hero, who's forced to spend his summers with an aunt, uncle, and cousin who detest him. The third book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series catapults into action when the young wizard "accidentally" causes the Dursleys' dreadful visitor Aunt Marge to inflate like a monstrous balloon and drift up to the ceiling. Fearing punishment from Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon (and from officials at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry who strictly forbid students to cast spells in the nonmagic world of Muggles), Harry lunges out into the darkness with his heavy trunk and his owl Hedwig.

As it turns out, Harry isn't punished at all for his errant wizardry. Instead he is mysteriously rescued from his Muggle neighborhood and whisked off in a triple-decker, violently purple bus to spend the remaining weeks of summer in a friendly inn called the Leaky Cauldron. What Harry has to face as he begins his third year at Hogwarts explains why the officials let him off easily. It seems that Sirius Black--an escaped convict from the prison of Azkaban--is on the loose. Not only that, but he's after Harry Potter. But why? And why do the Dementors, the guards hired to protect him, chill Harry's very heart when others are unaffected? Once again, Rowling has created a mystery that will have children and adults cheering, not to mention standing in line for her next book. Fortunately, there are four more in the works. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:51 -0400)

During his third year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter must confront the devious and dangerous wizard responsible for his parents' deaths.

3 1905

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,661,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible