Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by…

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (1999)

by J. K. Rowling, Jim Dale (Narrator)

67,4205712 (4.39)9 / 526
Member:The_Hibernator
Title:Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Jim Dale (Narrator)
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Young Adult, Fantasy, Banned, Witchcraft, England, Cats, Dogs, Werewolves, Boggarts, Hippogriffs

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling (1999)

English (535)  Dutch (10)  German (7)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (572)
Okay, yes, I did get sucked into reading the rest of the series, at great cost to my productivity in all other areas of life last week. Now that I've both seen the movie and read the book, I have to say that this movie was the least faithful to the letter of the book, but the most faithful to the spirit. At least it works as a movie better than the other two, without the feeling of being greatly constrained in trying to stuff too much detail into too short a time. In the third movie, the director/screenwriter went through the book with a machete. But then, it had to be done.

I liked the introduction of Sirius Black, who was to me, the first interesting adult character in the book. And I'm liking Hermione more and more as the series progresses. I couldn't stand her in the first book. Watching her slowly unravel over the course of the book under various stresses was one of the few things that the movie really didn't capture at all.

It was also a nice touch in the movie to have the twins finish each others' sentences, something that I don't think was ever really in the book. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
It is 2014 and I am only reading the Harry Potter series now. Ooooops.
Seriously though, I was never as into it as everyone else. I missed the hype surrounding JK Rowling's series and never felt eager to try out the books. However, they have now been sitting on my shelf and despite the fact I am reading them on random orders, I can actually admit I am enjoying it!

Everyone is familiar with Harry's tragic story, poor orphan who lost his parents as a child, managing to escape from Voldemort. Who then grew up alongside his terrible mom's sister who never treated him as he deserved.
But he's actually a wizard who goes to Hogwarts which is this cool-ass school for wizards and makes acquaintance with Ron Weasley, who is a funny partner and Hermione Granger whose parents are muggles, but who is a genius and works harder than anyone else.

After coming back to Hogwarts from his break, Harry discovers he is being chased by this terrible guy Sirius Black who is supposedly very powerful, since he was not only able to break through Azkaban, a high security prison but also, killed many people in the way.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was amusing, without a doubt. The characters are brilliant and the plot extravagant. I congratulate JK Rowling for all her criativity. But of course, everyone already knows this. Even though my edition is about 420 pages, it is however a quick read since the writing style isn't overly complex.

ANYWAY HELL YEAH CANT WAIT TO READ THE NEXT ONE ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
It is 2014 and I am only reading the Harry Potter series now. Ooooops.

ANYWAY HELL YEAH CANT WAIT TO READ THE NEXT ONE ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |

I loved the first 2 books in this series but this one just swept me completely away! I love the storyline that Ms. Rowling has gifted us with. I watched the movies of some of the books years ago and I liked them but these books!

I want to run outside and scream READ THESE BOOKS! But then I think I'm one of the last people in the universe that hasn't. So I'll be sorta quiet.
P.S. Read these books!

bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
My favorite so far!! ( )
  pennylane78 | Sep 5, 2014 |
All current reviews of Harry Potter books should probably be addressed to some future audience for whom Harry is book rather than phenomenon; at the moment, reviews seem superfluous. For the record, then, O future reader, this latest installment in Harry’s saga is quite a good book.

So far, in terms of plot, the books do nothing very new, but they do it brilliantly

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jill Prewett and Aine Kiely, the Godmothers of Swing
Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.
The Wizarding world is shocked to hear a mass Murderer has escaped from the prison they call Azkaban. Sirius Black is said to have murdered countless muggles (non magic folk) and parents are locking up their children. Harry Potter has started school and is going on his first trip to Hogs Mead when by shear luck he overhears the Miniter for Magic wisper his name. Harry Follows him using his invisibility cloak and discovers why Mr Weasley warned him about Black personally before school had started. Sirius Black had been a friend of his Parents, was the one who sold them out to Voldemort and worst of all he was and still is to this day Harry's God Father. Harry knows thats why Sirius has escaped, he knows he's coming for him and he can't wait because when he finds him, Harry will be ready.......Full of death and Suspense, this book is defiantly the darkest yet and shows that Magic isn't just cool tricks and bright lights.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439136350, Hardcover)

For most children, summer vacation is something to look forward to. But not for our 13-year-old hero, who's forced to spend his summers with an aunt, uncle, and cousin who detest him. The third book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series catapults into action when the young wizard "accidentally" causes the Dursleys' dreadful visitor Aunt Marge to inflate like a monstrous balloon and drift up to the ceiling. Fearing punishment from Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon (and from officials at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry who strictly forbid students to cast spells in the nonmagic world of Muggles), Harry lunges out into the darkness with his heavy trunk and his owl Hedwig.

As it turns out, Harry isn't punished at all for his errant wizardry. Instead he is mysteriously rescued from his Muggle neighborhood and whisked off in a triple-decker, violently purple bus to spend the remaining weeks of summer in a friendly inn called the Leaky Cauldron. What Harry has to face as he begins his third year at Hogwarts explains why the officials let him off easily. It seems that Sirius Black--an escaped convict from the prison of Azkaban--is on the loose. Not only that, but he's after Harry Potter. But why? And why do the Dementors, the guards hired to protect him, chill Harry's very heart when others are unaffected? Once again, Rowling has created a mystery that will have children and adults cheering, not to mention standing in line for her next book. Fortunately, there are four more in the works. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:51 -0400)

During his third year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter must confront the devious and dangerous wizard responsible for his parents' deaths.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible