Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by…

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (1999)

by J. K. Rowling, Jim Dale (Narrator)

74,4027062 (4.39)9 / 741
Member:The_Hibernator
Title:Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Jim Dale (Narrator)
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned (inactive)
Rating:*****
Tags:Young Adult, Fantasy, Banned, Witchcraft, England, Cats, Dogs, Werewolves, Boggarts, Hippogriffs

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling (1999)

1990s (19)
Elevenses (179)

English (660)  Dutch (11)  German (7)  French (6)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  All (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All (703)
As I already said I enjoyed the previous book lots. And now I enjoyed the 3rd one even more.
My husband says its his least favorite of the series because nothing major happens, but I disagree. Well, while it is true that nothing major happens, this book has a lot of other great stuff.
Like the new Defense against the dark arts teacher! (My favorite minor character!!). Or dementors being introduced. Or Harry's new family member and a great twist to his story ( I also adore him). Or the map!
I think that it's very good that not all books end with battling Voldemort, and focus on other characters and other issues. ( )
  bookandsword | Feb 20, 2017 |
I love this book. Either by audio or hardcopy, I think I visit it at least once a year. As such, it’ll probably be reviewed many times. Every read is different, after all.

The third year is when the trio start to come into their own and become more complex as characters. Harry is re-affronted with his parents’ deaths in a new and raw way, Ron begins to fight for his own happiness – whether that’s in defense of his pets or himself – and Hermione’s reaction to Harry’s Firebolt and Divination shows her less tolerant side. We also get the introduction of the Marauders – Moony, Padfoot, Wormtail, and Prongs – whom I love. I believe that Lupin is the strongest DADA teacher presented in the whole series. We have a new villain (refreshing!) and we start to see some layers peeled off Severus Snape. Overall, great character development in this book.

I’ve always found the beauty of the Potterverse to be its near plausibility. The magic is subtle enough that it doesn’t overrule the story. This year, you get the addition of Hogsmeade, which is a little wizarding town with a pub and a candy shoppe and a joke shop and feels quite possible. Even a post office! Hands down, my favorite scene for showing the beauty and the subtlety of the Hogwarts grounds is near the very end of the book, where the trio is relaxing by the lake in the summer sun. It’s all perfectly normal until the Giant Squid lifts his tentacles lazily. It’s a subtle nuance that reminds us that this world is so much like ours that we want to be there, too… only it’s magic.

I find the lack of Voldemort in this story to be a refreshing change of pace from the plotlines we’ve seen in the first two books where the trio goes through all these tribulations and at the end, Dumbledore basically says, “Voldemort is up to his old tricks and hanging out at Hogwarts again!” I love what we learn here about Harry’s past, and how we’re delving into different aspects of the world more thoroughly (Ministry proceedings, magical creatures, and the last time Voldemort rose). Information from this book helps form the rest of the story far more than its predecessors. To be frank… it’s about to start getting real.

I continue to really enjoy Rowling’s writing style, and again, I think her technique is stronger here than it’s been in her previous two books. The trio are definitely starting to grow up, but subtlely. She continues to present just the right amount of details to spur the imagination, and bury subtleties in the story that aren’t noticed until they’re important much later.

Jim Dale, additionally, continues to be a treat. The more time he spends with the characters, the better his voices become. Hermione, who vexed me in book one, is barely noticeable now. Additionally, his voices for Lupin, Sirius, and Pettigrew were spot on. Love it.

This book remains my favorite in the Harry Potter series, and definitely makes it to my Top 25… Top 5, if I’m honest. Aside from the nostalgia factor of growing up with these characters, the writing really holds its own, even as I get older. It’s such fun to go back and read this book again and again, and to share it with other. Every time, there are places where I chuckle or think: “Oh! I don’t remember that! That’s wonderful!” so even on the re-reads, this book still holds magic for me.

(( x-posted to LibraryThing & my literary blog.)) ( )
  Morteana | Feb 19, 2017 |
Again, there are 700 reviews already and my recollections are fuzzy, so i have little to say. This story does begin to introduce the darker note that becomes more dominant later, with the sinister Dementors who serve as jailers for wizard prisoners, specifically Sirius Black, a friend of Potter's father who supposedly went over to Voldemart. ( )
  antiquary | Feb 13, 2017 |
This book is what officially started the HP phenomenon. This is the third book, thus Harry and the gang turn thirteen, which means Harry is starting to grow up and leave his childhood behind. The story is starting to break away from the light-heartedness, though it never loses its humour. And it's very suspenseful. Throughout the novel, you're made to believe that Sirius Black, the titular Prisoner of Azkaban, is a deranged serial killer and devout Death Eater who betrayed Harry's parents, so when you find out it was Sirius and James's friend Peter Pettigrew, you're surprised.

All in all, one of the best in the series. ( )
  kyndyleizabella | Jan 23, 2017 |
Very interesting and exciting indeed! ( )
  Shelby-Lamb-Author | Jan 17, 2017 |
All current reviews of Harry Potter books should probably be addressed to some future audience for whom Harry is book rather than phenomenon; at the moment, reviews seem superfluous. For the record, then, O future reader, this latest installment in Harry’s saga is quite a good book.

So far, in terms of plot, the books do nothing very new, but they do it brilliantly

Igual que en las dos primeras partes de la serie –La piedra filosofal y La cámara secreta– Harry aguarda con impaciencia el inicio del tercer curso en el Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Tras haber cumplido los trece años, solo y lejos de sus amigos de Hogwarts, Harry se pelea con su bigotuda tía Marge, a la que convierte en globo, y debe huir en un autobús mágico. Mientras tanto, de la prisión de Azkaban se ha escapado un terrible villano, Sirius Black, un asesino en serie con poderes mágicos que fue cómplice de lord Voldemort y que parece dispuesto a eliminar a Harry del mapa. Y por si esto fuera poco, Harry deberá enfrentarse también a unos terribles monstruos, los dementores, seres abominables capaces de robarles la felicidad a los magos y de borrar todo recuerdo hermoso de aquellos que osan mirarlos. Lo que ninguno de estos malvados personajes sabe es que Harry, con la ayuda de sus fieles amigos Ron y Hermione, es capaz de todo y mucho más.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jill Prewett and Aine Kiely, the Godmothers of Swing
Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.

The Wizarding world is shocked to hear a mass Murderer has escaped from the prison they call Azkaban. Sirius Black is said to have murdered countless muggles (non magic folk) and parents are locking up their children. Harry Potter has started school and is going on his first trip to Hogs Mead when by shear luck he overhears the Miniter for Magic wisper his name. Harry Follows him using his invisibility cloak and discovers why Mr Weasley warned him about Black personally before school had started. Sirius Black had been a friend of his Parents, was the one who sold them out to Voldemort and worst of all he was and still is to this day Harry's God Father. Harry knows thats why Sirius has escaped, he knows he's coming for him and he can't wait because when he finds him, Harry will be ready.......Full of death and Suspense, this book is defiantly the darkest yet and shows that Magic isn't just cool tricks and bright lights.

AR Level 6.7, 18 pts
Dvanaest dugih godina tvrđava Askaban skrivala je među svojim zidinama tajanstvenog zatvorenika po imenu Sirijus Blek. Optužen da je ubio trinaestoro ljudi bacivši na njih kletvu i za njega se smatra da je neposredni naslednik gospodara tame, lorda Voldemora.
Sada je pobegao i živi tamo gde može da bude glavni: kada je Hari Poter porazio Znate-već-koga to je bio i pad Bleka. Čuvari tvrđave Askaban čuli su kako Blek mrmlja u snu: "On je u Hogvortsu, on je u Hogvortsu..." Hari Poter nije bezbedan čak ni u čarobnjačkoj školi gde je okružen svojim prijateljima zato što se sumnja da je među njima izdajnik...
Made a mistake by

establishing time travel.

Will fix in book five.

(CathWhitney)
First teacher I like

turns out to be a monster.

Cannot catch a break.

(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439136350, Hardcover)

For most children, summer vacation is something to look forward to. But not for our 13-year-old hero, who's forced to spend his summers with an aunt, uncle, and cousin who detest him. The third book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series catapults into action when the young wizard "accidentally" causes the Dursleys' dreadful visitor Aunt Marge to inflate like a monstrous balloon and drift up to the ceiling. Fearing punishment from Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon (and from officials at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry who strictly forbid students to cast spells in the nonmagic world of Muggles), Harry lunges out into the darkness with his heavy trunk and his owl Hedwig.

As it turns out, Harry isn't punished at all for his errant wizardry. Instead he is mysteriously rescued from his Muggle neighborhood and whisked off in a triple-decker, violently purple bus to spend the remaining weeks of summer in a friendly inn called the Leaky Cauldron. What Harry has to face as he begins his third year at Hogwarts explains why the officials let him off easily. It seems that Sirius Black--an escaped convict from the prison of Azkaban--is on the loose. Not only that, but he's after Harry Potter. But why? And why do the Dementors, the guards hired to protect him, chill Harry's very heart when others are unaffected? Once again, Rowling has created a mystery that will have children and adults cheering, not to mention standing in line for her next book. Fortunately, there are four more in the works. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:10 -0400)

During his third year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter must confront the devious and dangerous wizard responsible for his parents' deaths.

3 2094

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,487,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible