Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by…

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (original 1999; edition 2001)

by J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)

68,7326032 (4.39)9 / 555
Member:Juliana2007
Title:Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2001), Paperback, 448 pages

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling (1999)

English (562)  Dutch (10)  German (7)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (601)
-Spoiler Alert!-

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is part of the Harry Potter series. Harry, who has to stay at his aunt and uncle's over the summer because an evil wizard named Voldemort murdered his parents. The place that Harry really feels at home is Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry because he is not someone we would call normal. He is a wizard-in-training. However, Harry is still not regular in the Magical World -- he is famous because he is the only one to have survived the Killing Curse. At the beginning, Harry hears of a break-out from Azkaban (the wizard prison). A criminal named Sirius Black has escaped - and even worse is that he is supposed to have led Voldemort to Harry's parent's house. At school, Harry learns about dementors, soul-sucking creatures that draw all the happy memories away from you. He also is introduced to Buckbeak, a Hippogriff (half eagle, half horse). If you are not careful around Hippogriffs, they may attack you - and that is exactly what happened to Draco Malfoy. Buckbeak is to be executed because he is 'dangerous'. Sometime later, Harry finds out that Sirius Black, the criminal, is his godfather! As the three friends, harry, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley, walk around the grounds, a big, black dog pulls them through a secret passage, and then transforms into Sirius Black. Sirius explains to them (through MANY explanations) that Peter Pettigrew actually betrayed Harry's parents. However, Sirius is caught and is locked in a tower where a dementor is supposed to come and suck the life out of him. In the hospital wing, Harry and Hermione turn a Time-Turner that takes them back in time so they can save both Buckbeak and Sirius from harm.

The Harry Potter series will always be my favorite. J.K. Rowling does an amazing job of catching the reader in a fish net of suspense. Every chapter is better than the last. This book is good for (in my opinion) 4th graders and above. It is a classic fantasy novel for the whole family. Never, not once, did this book ever become tiresome. If you have never read these, get started now because you don't know what you're missing! ( )
  MeganS.B3 | Mar 23, 2015 |
Harry's back for his second year at Hogwarts, where the infamous Chamber of Secrets has been opened for the first time in 50 years. The monster that is unleashed is literally petrifying Hogwarts students (turning them into stone, that is), and who is the primary suspect? Harry Potter himself. Add to this some enormous spiders, a Deathday Party, a ghost named Moaning Myrtle who haunts the girls' bathroom, and lots and lots of suspense ( )
  Tutter | Mar 3, 2015 |
love this series!!! I was finally happy that Harry actually got to meet two people that was close to his parents before they died. ( )
  harleyqgrayson02 | Mar 3, 2015 |
Once again we find our heroes in the throes of adventure and excitement.

It never ceases to amaze me that, no matter how many times I have read this book, I still get sucked in and am rapt with attention as I turn the pages.

I think the series this time around is all the more exciting because I am reading them with my son, but maybe that is just me. Of course, he cheated and skipped this one since his school library was out of it and he wanted to be able to "impress people by carrying a big dang book," so he skipped to Goblet of Fire instead of reading Prisoner on his Nook. But now mom is thoroughly caught up and will likely be ahead by the end of the weekend, as he is camping.

I love that series' like this exist so that I can share something in reading a good book with my children. I love seeing their eyes light up when they find a favorite character and get to read all about them. There is nothing better than that. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Once again we find our heroes in the throes of adventure and excitement.

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
All current reviews of Harry Potter books should probably be addressed to some future audience for whom Harry is book rather than phenomenon; at the moment, reviews seem superfluous. For the record, then, O future reader, this latest installment in Harry’s saga is quite a good book.

So far, in terms of plot, the books do nothing very new, but they do it brilliantly

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jill Prewett and Aine Kiely, the Godmothers of Swing
Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.
The Wizarding world is shocked to hear a mass Murderer has escaped from the prison they call Azkaban. Sirius Black is said to have murdered countless muggles (non magic folk) and parents are locking up their children. Harry Potter has started school and is going on his first trip to Hogs Mead when by shear luck he overhears the Miniter for Magic wisper his name. Harry Follows him using his invisibility cloak and discovers why Mr Weasley warned him about Black personally before school had started. Sirius Black had been a friend of his Parents, was the one who sold them out to Voldemort and worst of all he was and still is to this day Harry's God Father. Harry knows thats why Sirius has escaped, he knows he's coming for him and he can't wait because when he finds him, Harry will be ready.......Full of death and Suspense, this book is defiantly the darkest yet and shows that Magic isn't just cool tricks and bright lights.
Dvanaest dugih godina tvrđava Askaban skrivala je među svojim zidinama tajanstvenog zatvorenika po imenu Sirijus Blek. Optužen da je ubio trinaestoro ljudi bacivši na njih kletvu i za njega se smatra da je neposredni naslednik gospodara tame, lorda Voldemora.
Sada je pobegao i živi tamo gde može da bude glavni: kada je Hari Poter porazio Znate-već-koga to je bio i pad Bleka. Čuvari tvrđave Askaban čuli su kako Blek mrmlja u snu: "On je u Hogvortsu, on je u Hogvortsu..." Hari Poter nije bezbedan čak ni u čarobnjačkoj školi gde je okružen svojim prijateljima zato što se sumnja da je među njima izdajnik...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439136350, Hardcover)

For most children, summer vacation is something to look forward to. But not for our 13-year-old hero, who's forced to spend his summers with an aunt, uncle, and cousin who detest him. The third book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series catapults into action when the young wizard "accidentally" causes the Dursleys' dreadful visitor Aunt Marge to inflate like a monstrous balloon and drift up to the ceiling. Fearing punishment from Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon (and from officials at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry who strictly forbid students to cast spells in the nonmagic world of Muggles), Harry lunges out into the darkness with his heavy trunk and his owl Hedwig.

As it turns out, Harry isn't punished at all for his errant wizardry. Instead he is mysteriously rescued from his Muggle neighborhood and whisked off in a triple-decker, violently purple bus to spend the remaining weeks of summer in a friendly inn called the Leaky Cauldron. What Harry has to face as he begins his third year at Hogwarts explains why the officials let him off easily. It seems that Sirius Black--an escaped convict from the prison of Azkaban--is on the loose. Not only that, but he's after Harry Potter. But why? And why do the Dementors, the guards hired to protect him, chill Harry's very heart when others are unaffected? Once again, Rowling has created a mystery that will have children and adults cheering, not to mention standing in line for her next book. Fortunately, there are four more in the works. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:51 -0400)

During his third year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter must confront the devious and dangerous wizard responsible for his parents' deaths.

3 1912

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,180,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible