Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by…

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (original 1999; edition 2001)

by J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)

80,6387823 (4.4)9 / 834
Member:haileyvonwald
Title:Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2001), Paperback, 448 pages

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling (1999)

1990s (20)
Elevenses (121)
books (1)
Ghosts (118)

English (735)  Dutch (11)  German (9)  French (6)  Spanish (6)  Italian (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (783)
Harry Potter is in his third year at Hogwarts and things are definitely different. Sirius Black, known murderer and the Dark Lord's servant has escaped from Azkaban and is said to be headed towards Harry.

As if you needed to know what it's about, but I felt I needed to say it because this is the first book in the series I'm giving a full 5 stars! I heard this one was a fan favorite among readers and I see it now. It's definitely my favorite so far.

It has more action and mystery than the other two and I can see Hermoine changing into a more likable character and I love that. I can't wait to get started on the next one! ( )
  BingeReader87 | Nov 17, 2018 |
favorito en la biblioteca en la que trabajo
literatura infanto-juvenil
  LBR86 | Nov 7, 2018 |
This is the third book in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. It's Harry's third year at Hogwarts and a prisoner from Azkaban has escaped. Throughout the book Harry finds out more and more about is parents and himself. The escaped prisoner Sirius Black quickly becomes one of my favorite characters yet.

Each book is better than the next. I loved the darker side of magic used in this book and the development of all the characters. J.K. Rowling is incredible at making you feel like you are in the book. I have a hard time pulling myself out of this book and can't wait to see what Harry, Ron, & Hermione get into in the next one. I started reading these because I needed to know what all the hype was about and I can say now that I get it. I love these characters and care about them, I'm hooked.
  Hayleykeyser | Oct 15, 2018 |
(original review, 2002)

Children's literature comes in 3 styles these days. "The Coming of Age Stories", in which a child suffers a horrible tragedy and grows because of it. Pets, best friends, and elderly relations don't live long in Coming of Age tales. I hated the things when I was a kid. I'd seen enough tragedy first hand. I didn't need to read about it. Then there are the "realistic" children's books, that describe the social dynamics of middle school, without commenting on how the everyday cruelty affects children. Judy Bloom was the mistress of this. Here young protagonists were very real, but you didn't like them. Finally there are the series. Not well written, contrived plots, a little contrived humor. But kids like them.

Rowling understood what childhood is like. But she wasn't afraid to comment on it. She could be genuinely funny. And she understood that tragedy doesn't necessarily make you a better person. Future writers of children's' books might learn from her.

I was on the Tube one night reading. There was only one other person in the car, and he came up to me and asked what I was reading. Then he asked me if I'd ever read Harry Potter. He looked to be in his early 40s -- not much older than I was -- and he said that he hadn't read a book since leaving high school until his son brought "Chamber of Secrets" along on his weekend with his dad. After that, he read the first two books and when each new book came out he arranged for the release weekend to be one he spent with his son. They bought two copies and both read them, talking about them afterward. I think it was just after "Order of the Phoenix" had been released, but I was struck by him saying that he now read all the time. He loved Frederick Forsyth books. He asked if I thought he'd like the one I was reading, and when I said I didn't think it would be a favourite for him I recommended John Le Carré. Harry Potter had given him a better relationship with his son and brought him back to reading. Loved this story. The book deserves 2 stars just for this... ( )
  antao | Oct 14, 2018 |
This was definitely better than the first two. Still not up to all of the hype. But if the books keep improving, I can see how these got and remain so popular. ( )
  Vulco1 | Oct 12, 2018 |
All current reviews of Harry Potter books should probably be addressed to some future audience for whom Harry is book rather than phenomenon; at the moment, reviews seem superfluous. For the record, then, O future reader, this latest installment in Harry’s saga is quite a good book.

So far, in terms of plot, the books do nothing very new, but they do it brilliantly

Igual que en las dos primeras partes de la serie –La piedra filosofal y La cámara secreta– Harry aguarda con impaciencia el inicio del tercer curso en el Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Tras haber cumplido los trece años, solo y lejos de sus amigos de Hogwarts, Harry se pelea con su bigotuda tía Marge, a la que convierte en globo, y debe huir en un autobús mágico. Mientras tanto, de la prisión de Azkaban se ha escapado un terrible villano, Sirius Black, un asesino en serie con poderes mágicos que fue cómplice de lord Voldemort y que parece dispuesto a eliminar a Harry del mapa. Y por si esto fuera poco, Harry deberá enfrentarse también a unos terribles monstruos, los dementores, seres abominables capaces de robarles la felicidad a los magos y de borrar todo recuerdo hermoso de aquellos que osan mirarlos. Lo que ninguno de estos malvados personajes sabe es que Harry, con la ayuda de sus fieles amigos Ron y Hermione, es capaz de todo y mucho más.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

To Jill Prewett and Aine Kiely,
the Godmothers of Swing
J.K. Rowling
For Tony and Jo
with thanks for being such wonderful friends
Jim Kay
Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.

The Wizarding world is shocked to hear a mass Murderer has escaped from the prison they call Azkaban. Sirius Black is said to have murdered countless muggles (non magic folk) and parents are locking up their children. Harry Potter has started school and is going on his first trip to Hogs Mead when by shear luck he overhears the Miniter for Magic wisper his name. Harry Follows him using his invisibility cloak and discovers why Mr Weasley warned him about Black personally before school had started. Sirius Black had been a friend of his Parents, was the one who sold them out to Voldemort and worst of all he was and still is to this day Harry's God Father. Harry knows thats why Sirius has escaped, he knows he's coming for him and he can't wait because when he finds him, Harry will be ready.......Full of death and Suspense, this book is defiantly the darkest yet and shows that Magic isn't just cool tricks and bright lights.

AR Level 6.7, 18 pts
Dvanaest dugih godina tvrđava Askaban skrivala je među svojim zidinama tajanstvenog zatvorenika po imenu Sirijus Blek. Optužen da je ubio trinaestoro ljudi bacivši na njih kletvu i za njega se smatra da je neposredni naslednik gospodara tame, lorda Voldemora.
Sada je pobegao i živi tamo gde može da bude glavni: kada je Hari Poter porazio Znate-već-koga to je bio i pad Bleka. Čuvari tvrđave Askaban čuli su kako Blek mrmlja u snu: "On je u Hogvortsu, on je u Hogvortsu..." Hari Poter nije bezbedan čak ni u čarobnjačkoj školi gde je okružen svojim prijateljima zato što se sumnja da je među njima izdajnik...
Made a mistake by

establishing time travel.

Will fix in book five.

(CathWhitney)
First teacher I like

turns out to be a monster.

Cannot catch a break.

(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439136350, Hardcover)

For most children, summer vacation is something to look forward to. But not for our 13-year-old hero, who's forced to spend his summers with an aunt, uncle, and cousin who detest him. The third book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series catapults into action when the young wizard "accidentally" causes the Dursleys' dreadful visitor Aunt Marge to inflate like a monstrous balloon and drift up to the ceiling. Fearing punishment from Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon (and from officials at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry who strictly forbid students to cast spells in the nonmagic world of Muggles), Harry lunges out into the darkness with his heavy trunk and his owl Hedwig.

As it turns out, Harry isn't punished at all for his errant wizardry. Instead he is mysteriously rescued from his Muggle neighborhood and whisked off in a triple-decker, violently purple bus to spend the remaining weeks of summer in a friendly inn called the Leaky Cauldron. What Harry has to face as he begins his third year at Hogwarts explains why the officials let him off easily. It seems that Sirius Black--an escaped convict from the prison of Azkaban--is on the loose. Not only that, but he's after Harry Potter. But why? And why do the Dementors, the guards hired to protect him, chill Harry's very heart when others are unaffected? Once again, Rowling has created a mystery that will have children and adults cheering, not to mention standing in line for her next book. Fortunately, there are four more in the works. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:10 -0400)

"For twelve years, the dread fortress of Azkaban held an infamous prisoner named Sirius Black. Convicted of killing thirteen people with a single curse, he was said to be the heir apparent to the Dark Lord, Voldemort. Now he has escaped, leaving only two clues as to where he might be headed: Harry Potter's defeat of You-Know-Who was Black's downfall as well. And the Azkaban guards heard Black muttering in his sleep, "He's at Hogwarts." Harry Potter isn't safe, not even within the walls of his magical school, surrounded by his friends. Because on top of it all, there may well be a traitor in their midst"--Container.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,246,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible