Harry Potter, III : Harry Potter…

Harry Potter, III : Harry Potter et le prisonnier d'Azkaban (original 1999; edition 2011)

by J. K. Rowling, Jean-François Ménard (Traduction)

74,5857102 (4.39)9 / 751
Member:ELPearson
Title:Harry Potter, III : Harry Potter et le prisonnier d'Azkaban
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Jean-François Ménard (Traduction)
Info:Folio Junior (2011), Broché, 448 pages
Tags:french

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling (1999)

1990s (19)
Elevenses (176)

English (666)  Dutch (11)  German (8)  French (6)  Spanish (5)  Swedish (3)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (2)  Finnish (2)  All (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Danish (1)  All (710)
Harry was back at the Dursleys like every break. Harry's aunt came for dinner, and Harry was getting mad at her. Then Harry blew her up like a balloon using magic. After that incident Harry ran away to the Leaky Cauldron, an entrance into the magic world. After Harry got to the Leaky Cauldron he got on the train to Hogwarts and then Dementors came on the train looking for Sirius Black. Sirius Black is a supposed criminal. Professor Lupin, the new Defense against the Dark Arts teacher, blasted the Dementors away! When Harry gets to Hogwarts, Dumbledore states that Dementors will be patrolling the school grounds. Harry went to his first class of the day, Divination, one of his new classes. Harry thinks the divination professor, Mrs. Trelawny is crazy. After class she gives him a prophecy about a servant of Voldemort will return to him soon. Much later Ron and Hermonine were standing by the Whomping Willow, when a black dog come out of a tunnel and grabs Ron. Ron is dragged into the tunnel and taken away. Harry and Hermonine follow and wind up in the Shrieking Shack, where they find out that the dog is Sirius Black. The Sirius takes Ron's pet rat, Scabbers and transforms him into Peter Pettigrew, the man Sirius supposedly killed. Peter was about to run and leave when Lupin came in and blocked his escape. They walk outside to bring Peter to the Dementors, but then a full moon is revealed from behind the clouds,and Lupin turns into a Werewolf. Peter turns back into a rat and escapes, then Sirius was able to stop Lupin but the Dementors came and sucked the soul out of him. That evening Hermonine uses her Time-Turner to go back in time and save Sirius. They are successful and he is able to get away safely, for themes part.

The Harry Potter series is EXCELLENT! I recommend this series to everyone 10 years of age and older. Harry Potter ranks at a 2 or 3 on my favorite books. The books have high Lexile and reading level. Harry Potter is definitely a young adult book, I don't think any kids younger than 10 should read them. Harry Potter is a great book I love to read them and I hope other people do too! ( )
  MaxE.bg3 | Mar 23, 2017 |
I loved this book ( )
  ElizaTelfer | Mar 23, 2017 |
Easily one of my favorite books of the series! We get to meet Remus Lupin and Sirius Black. What's not to like? Of course we are now years after the movies are out so in my head, I see Gary Oldman and David Thewlis as well as hear their voices.

Time travel is introduced and thankfully only used in this book. As a fan of science fiction, time travel can be a cop out as well as introduce a buttload of plotholes. While Rowling crafts the time travel aspect well, having Buckbeak is seemingly beheaded out of view of the kids meaning it is totally plausible that time traveling Harry and Hermione could save him, it is still a bit of hocky thing to put into a novel. At least this one has the magic aspect and does show the flaws as well as mention possible negative side effects. Still, it is one of my least favorite parts of this book.

Lupin is probably my favorite character. He is the first real DADA teacher the kids have and he is GOOD at his job. Too bad that, much like the non-magic world, there is discrimination though I honestly couldn't blame parents for being concerned. Still though, it would've been nice to have him stick around though it wouldn't have fit in with the narrative that Rowling was going for in her novels.

Part of me wishes that Lupin could've some how gained custody of Harry. He was a close friend of Lily and James (yes, both, sorry POA movie I like you but Lupin wasn't just close with Lily which the movie made out to be him having a crush on her), he knows now Sirius is innocent, he's a good guy who could teach Harry a lot, and it would've gotten him away from the Durselys. Lupin, though, probably didn't want to risk Harry those couple months he is home to his werewolf side. He also strikes me as a nomad at this time, wondering around looking for work as he is shunned and up until this novel, all his good friends were killed by another of his friends. He was a loner and lived that way. While I'm sure Harry would've benefited from the time with Lupin and the travel, it may have been too much for a 13 year old. I also suspect that Lupin was in on a lot with Dumbledore (though not everything). He does show up as being a member of the Order of the Phoenix, he fought and still fights against Voldemort. Dumbledore, one would assume, told everyone that was close to Lily and James just why they couldn't take in young Harry. It was to keep him safe, hidden, from Voldemort.

However, having a group of antagonists like the Dursleys is a common literally move, especially, it seems in novels for young adults. It is ok that people are against you, you have all these people for you and you need to rise up against the bad.

Yes, half this review has nothing to do with the book really but I benefit from having read most of the series several times and as it is my favorite, it is hard to keep my thoughts quiet. ( )
1 vote jnoble82 | Mar 20, 2017 |
Easily my favorite of the series thus far during my reread. This book is the one that really makes me want to make a Harry Potter TV series. Just think of the way you can entangle flashbacks with the Marauders into the ongoing main plot. Two dual stories about friendships being tested, all crashing together in the climax of the story where a traitor is discovered. ( )
  mcj545 | Mar 14, 2017 |
I read this book with my daughter when she was a teenager, now I am reading and enjoying it once more with my grandson. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Mar 14, 2017 |
All current reviews of Harry Potter books should probably be addressed to some future audience for whom Harry is book rather than phenomenon; at the moment, reviews seem superfluous. For the record, then, O future reader, this latest installment in Harry’s saga is quite a good book.

So far, in terms of plot, the books do nothing very new, but they do it brilliantly

Best Harry Potter book in my opinion. When everything was revealed... just awesome!

Igual que en las dos primeras partes de la serie –La piedra filosofal y La cámara secreta– Harry aguarda con impaciencia el inicio del tercer curso en el Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Tras haber cumplido los trece años, solo y lejos de sus amigos de Hogwarts, Harry se pelea con su bigotuda tía Marge, a la que convierte en globo, y debe huir en un autobús mágico. Mientras tanto, de la prisión de Azkaban se ha escapado un terrible villano, Sirius Black, un asesino en serie con poderes mágicos que fue cómplice de lord Voldemort y que parece dispuesto a eliminar a Harry del mapa. Y por si esto fuera poco, Harry deberá enfrentarse también a unos terribles monstruos, los dementores, seres abominables capaces de robarles la felicidad a los magos y de borrar todo recuerdo hermoso de aquellos que osan mirarlos. Lo que ninguno de estos malvados personajes sabe es que Harry, con la ayuda de sus fieles amigos Ron y Hermione, es capaz de todo y mucho más.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jill Prewett and Aine Kiely, the Godmothers of Swing
Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.

The Wizarding world is shocked to hear a mass Murderer has escaped from the prison they call Azkaban. Sirius Black is said to have murdered countless muggles (non magic folk) and parents are locking up their children. Harry Potter has started school and is going on his first trip to Hogs Mead when by shear luck he overhears the Miniter for Magic wisper his name. Harry Follows him using his invisibility cloak and discovers why Mr Weasley warned him about Black personally before school had started. Sirius Black had been a friend of his Parents, was the one who sold them out to Voldemort and worst of all he was and still is to this day Harry's God Father. Harry knows thats why Sirius has escaped, he knows he's coming for him and he can't wait because when he finds him, Harry will be ready.......Full of death and Suspense, this book is defiantly the darkest yet and shows that Magic isn't just cool tricks and bright lights.

AR Level 6.7, 18 pts
Dvanaest dugih godina tvrđava Askaban skrivala je među svojim zidinama tajanstvenog zatvorenika po imenu Sirijus Blek. Optužen da je ubio trinaestoro ljudi bacivši na njih kletvu i za njega se smatra da je neposredni naslednik gospodara tame, lorda Voldemora.
Sada je pobegao i živi tamo gde može da bude glavni: kada je Hari Poter porazio Znate-već-koga to je bio i pad Bleka. Čuvari tvrđave Askaban čuli su kako Blek mrmlja u snu: "On je u Hogvortsu, on je u Hogvortsu..." Hari Poter nije bezbedan čak ni u čarobnjačkoj školi gde je okružen svojim prijateljima zato što se sumnja da je među njima izdajnik...
Made a mistake by

establishing time travel.

Will fix in book five.

(CathWhitney)
First teacher I like

turns out to be a monster.

Cannot catch a break.

(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439136350, Hardcover)

For most children, summer vacation is something to look forward to. But not for our 13-year-old hero, who's forced to spend his summers with an aunt, uncle, and cousin who detest him. The third book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series catapults into action when the young wizard "accidentally" causes the Dursleys' dreadful visitor Aunt Marge to inflate like a monstrous balloon and drift up to the ceiling. Fearing punishment from Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon (and from officials at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry who strictly forbid students to cast spells in the nonmagic world of Muggles), Harry lunges out into the darkness with his heavy trunk and his owl Hedwig.

As it turns out, Harry isn't punished at all for his errant wizardry. Instead he is mysteriously rescued from his Muggle neighborhood and whisked off in a triple-decker, violently purple bus to spend the remaining weeks of summer in a friendly inn called the Leaky Cauldron. What Harry has to face as he begins his third year at Hogwarts explains why the officials let him off easily. It seems that Sirius Black--an escaped convict from the prison of Azkaban--is on the loose. Not only that, but he's after Harry Potter. But why? And why do the Dementors, the guards hired to protect him, chill Harry's very heart when others are unaffected? Once again, Rowling has created a mystery that will have children and adults cheering, not to mention standing in line for her next book. Fortunately, there are four more in the works. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:10 -0400)

During his third year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter must confront the devious and dangerous wizard responsible for his parents' deaths.

3 2098

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,243,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible