To Catch a Predator: Protecting Your Kids…

To Catch a Predator: Protecting Your Kids from Online Enemies Already in…

by Chris Hansen

Read this book if you have children and a computer.

More than just a rundown of the TO CATCH A PREDATOR Dateline NBC series (although it does do that), this book also contains heartbreaking stories of children who have been exploited -- and in some cases murdered -- by predators they met on the Internet.

Chris Hansen does a great job of illustrating the fact that the computer and the Internet, as a whole, are useful tools that even younger children can take advantage of. But his tips and hints for protecting your children from online predators are something that EVERY parent needs to read -- and then share with their kids.

While I tried to avoid scaring my two children (ages 10 and 6), I have sat them down and discussed the dangers that can be found on the Internet. Just as predators in real life don't always look like what they are, I think my kids now understand that people they could meet online aren't necessarily who they claim to be, either.

I highly recommend all parents, especially those of teens and pre-teens, who have a computer pick up a copy of TO CATCH A PREDATOR. You'll be amazed, frightened, and instilled with a sense of urgency when it comes to the protection of your kids. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 14, 2009 |

Hansen takes readers deep into the world of child predators to show what we can do to protect ourselves and our families.

Police sergeant Rick Woody thought he was doing everything in his power to protect his thirteen-year-old daughter, Kacie, on and off line.

He kept the computer in the living room facing out, he sometimes checked her chats and e-mails, and he made sure Kacie knew not to give out her address or any other personal information. But neither Kacie nor Rick knew that her "seventeen-year-old" friend Dave from California was actually a forty-nine-year-old child predator until it was too late.

Such victims inspired Dateline to create the "To Catch a Predator" series that investigates online predators. Now, correspondent Chris Hansen shares the many stories of the victims who have motivated him to speak out.

These are stories of parents, children, wives, and families, who have had their lives shattered by child predators. Their accounts expose the twisted psychology and workings of men who prey on children and teens, how they manipulate their victims and their loved ones, and the way they've destroyed children, families, and communities. Hansen also explores effective punishment and treatments to stamp out the crime.

We live in a new online world where the time-tested rules of parenting no longer sufficiently protect children. See the real dangers facing teenagers today and learn what you can do to keep them safe.

To Catch a Predator takes you beyond the broadcast into a shadowy world that every parent needs to understand. Inside the pages you will find:

* What motivates child predators and how they choose their prey.
* An in-depth look at child victims and what made them targets.
* What happens to families who suddenly discover they are living with a child predator.
* What detectives, therapists and child predators feel are the best deterrents and treatments to prevent this crime.
* What parents must do to protect their kids online, what sites to block, and what software to get.
* And, most important, how parents can talk to children about on-line safety WITHOUT scaring them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

Counsels parents on how to catch online child predators, in a guide that reveals how even trusted community figures can be predatory and draws on the expertise of psychologists and criminal investigators.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,746,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible