Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians by…

Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Alcatraz (1)

The Accidental Hero by Matt Myklusch (readafew)
    readafew: I think Jack Blank is very similar to Alcatraz and Harry Potter, though without the overt humor. Worth a read.
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (Othemts)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (Othemts)
    She Is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick (hnau)
    hnau: Alcatraz and Laureth's brother Benjamin both have a talent to break certain things.
    A Box of Unfortunate Events (01-12) The Horrendous Heap by Lemony Snicket (Othemts)
    Little Boy Lost by Eric Hobbs (Othemts)

English (101)  German (2)  All languages (103)
Book Review – Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson
Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson is a YA fantasy novel about a boy called Alcatraz, given up by his parents at an early age, only to be shifted from one home to the next because of his talent for breaking things. But there is more to this boy than meets the eye and the librarians’ know it.

The Bad Stuff: I’m sorry, but I have to say it. This book was riddled with typos, missing letters, word double ups, etc… and could do with a thorough edit. But honestly, I can’t say anything else bad against this book.

The Good Stuff: I really enjoyed this book. No I mean it, I really enjoyed this book. Even with all the typos. They just didn’t bother me because I was enjoying it so much. It is witty and fun from the very beginning. It even has some good tips for budding writers as Alcatraz tells his story through a first person POV – And the most surprising thing of all, is that I hate first person POV. The way Sanderson handled this was pure style.

Overall this book is creative, well-paced, light hearted and fun. If you are looking for something a little quirky that will make you smile, I strongly recommend it. I’m giving this one a gadget breaking 5 out of 5 golden bookmarks.
  AWA1 | Sep 24, 2018 |
It is deeply satisfying to be part of an evil group that secretly has taken over the world. Finally, someone has acknowledged my potential! That said, this is an entertaining read with a fun plot, but Sanderson is trying too hard with the constant authorial interjections. The style is a bit like Lemony Snicket's, but the constant interruptions to the story are less entertaining and more irritating. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
On his thirteenth birthday, foster child Alcatraz Smedry gets a bag of sand in the mail-his only inheritance from his father and mother. And thus begins Alcatraz’s adventures against the cult of evil Librarians.
Overall I enjoyed this book but was not wowed by this book, actually I’m mostly kind of meh about this book. It is very obvious that this is a middle grade book and I usually find I have a challenging time reviewing these kinds of books because I am not the target audience and some things just can’t be judged by an adult perspective.
Pros: I absolutely loved the concept and the world created here was a lot of fun to visit.
Cons: I HATED the narration, didn’t particularly care about Alcatraz and wanted to spend more time exploring the world with other characters.
As I said above, I am not the target audience for this book at all, overall it felt well written and paced and the things I didn’t like about it, the narration for example, might appeal more to younger and less experienced readers.
I would introduce this to readers of its intended age, but I doubt I’ll be reading any further books in the series. ( )
  Kellswitch | Sep 5, 2018 |
Fun for librarians to read that's for sure. Felt like Mike could have written it! ( )
  lwobbe | Aug 6, 2018 |
Cute. In-jokes for adults. ( )
  librisissimo | Apr 18, 2018 |
For all its self-aware preciosity, this still stands as a happily action-packed romp, with just the right amount of repartee between Alcatraz and his cantankerous teenage protector Bastille, and a cliffhanger ending that promises more of the same. Plus dinosaurs in tweed vests. Who could ask for more?
added by Katya0133 | editHorn Book Magazine (Jan 1, 2008)

Like Lemony Snicket and superhero comics rolled into one (and then revved up on steroids), this nutty novel isn't for everyone, but it's also sure to win passionate fans.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Nov 19, 2007)

Though there's intentionally more humor than drama, Alcatraz becomes a more complex figure by the time his adventure is through as he discovers the value of friendship, courage, and family. Readers who prefer fantasy with plenty of humor should enjoy entering Alcatraz's strange but amusing world.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Steven Engelfried (Nov 1, 2007)

Alcatraz often interrupts his story with comments about reading, sometimes predicting accurately that we won't believe the events on the page. He doubts that librarians will recommend this book. He may be right.
added by sad787d | editKirkus (Sep 1, 2007)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lungstrass, CharlotteTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brundage, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lazo, HayleyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McWade, CharlieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ocampo, Ramon deNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, Winn Sanderson, who bought me books
I am not a good person. (Foreword)
So, there I was, tied to an altar made from outdated encyclopedias, about to get sacrificed to the dark powers by a cult of evil Librarians. (Chapter 1)
Some people assume that authors write books because we have vivid imaginations and want to share our vision. Other people assume that authors write because we are bursting with stories, and therefore must scribble those stories down in moments of creative propondidty.
Both groups are completely wrong. Authors write books for one, and only one, reason: because we like to torture people.
...
Take for instance, the word I used above. Propondidty. There is no such word — I made it up. Why? Because it amused me to think of thousands of readers looking up a nonsense word in their dictionaries.
You could even scan to the end and read the last page. Know that by doing so, however, you would violate every holy and honorable storytelling principle known to man, thereby throwing the universe into chaos and causing grief to untold millions.
Your choice.
By now, it is probably very late at night, and you have stayed up to read this book when you should have gone to sleep. If this is the case, then I commend you for falling into my trap. It is a writer's greatest pleasure to hear that someone was kept up until the unholy hours of the morning reading one of his books. It goes back to authors being terrible people who delight in the suffering of others. Plus, we get a kick back from the caffeine industry.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439925525, Mass Market Paperback)

The evil Librarians are coming!

A hero with an incredible talent...for breaking things. A life-or-death mission...to rescue a bag of sand. A fearsome threat from a powerful secret network...the evil Librarians.
Alcatraz Smedry doesn't seem destined for anything but disaster. On his 13th birthday he receives a bag of sand, which is quickly stolen by the cult of evil Librarians plotting to take over the world. The sand will give the Librarians the edge they need to achieve world domination. Alcatraz must stop them!...by infiltrating the local library, armed with nothing but eyeglasses and a talent for klutziness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

On his thirteenth birthday, foster child Alcatraz Smedry receives a bag of sand which is immediately stolen by the evil Librarians who are trying to take over the world, and Alcatraz is introduced to his grandfather and his own special talent, and told that he must use it to save civilization.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,839,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible