Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians…

Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz, No. 1) (edition 2008)

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:jjpionke
Title:Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz, No. 1)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2008), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:middle school, librarians, fantasy, humor, won at a raffle, my teacher loves me, at your library, grandfather, clumsiness, multigenerational, social issues, family

Alcatraz Versus The Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson

The Accidental Hero by Matt Myklusch (readafew)
    readafew: I think Jack Blank is very similar to Alcatraz and Harry Potter, though without the overt humor. Worth a read.
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (Othemts)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (Othemts)
    She Is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick (hnau)
    hnau: Alcatraz and Laureth's brother Benjamin both have a talent to break certain things.
    A Box of Unfortunate Events (01-12) The Horrendous Heap by Lemony Snicket (Othemts)
    Little Boy Lost by Eric Hobbs (Othemts)

English (93)  German (2)  All languages (95)
I liked the idea, the story was well told (when it was actually being told), and the characters were great fun.[return][return]However.[return][return]It may be simply because I read the Harry Potter books first, and I'm not going to check publication dates and blah blah blah, but first, the 'Alivened' thing seemed an obvious ripoff of horcruxes. At any rate, the premise was far better developed by JKR. [return][return]Also, it seemed to me that the last page or two contained a (very) thinly veiled dig at the HP books which, sorry Sanderson, you haven't got the literary cohones to pull off. [return][return]I felt like Sanderson's style was a bit too self-involved, and that the asides, references to the author/narrator connection, and other 'clever' bits were not only too frequent, but overblown. I feel like if I met this guy in a bar, I'd roll my eyes and walk away before he could complete his first 'See how witty I am' pickup line. [return][return]On the other hand, the book wasn't badly written - I just don't care for his style. I'm glad I didn't get the next book in the series in hardcover, but I'll probably pick it up when it comes out in paperback. ( )
  kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
  kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
  kristi_test_04 | Jun 17, 2016 |
The conceit that this is a true memoir, wasn't well executed. The conceit that librarians are evil wore thin way before the end of the book. Sorry. BUT - would be good for reluctant readers age 9-12, esp. boys who like video games. In fact, it would make a great video game. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Did I delve into this book - with library card in hand - with the expectation that it would be educational, enlightening and entertaining? You bet I did! I love my library, I have several evil Librarian friends - and really, given the title, how could I not read it!

Did I enjoy this book? YES! I especially enjoyed the narrator's ability to bring spot-on voice to the characters; kudos to the narrator, Charlie McWade!!

The book encompassed so many of the things I love about books . . adventure, family, relationship-building and Occulator's Glasses (er, maybe not the last one!). The author's (Brandon Sanderson) persomality and sense of humor carried through to the end. It was a fun read that left me wondering if the *movie rights* have been sold!! It is the first of a series .. I'm planning to read the rest of 'em soon! Highly recommended to those who enjoy quirky humor, fantasy and the, always enjoyable, character/narrator interaction.
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
For all its self-aware preciosity, this still stands as a happily action-packed romp, with just the right amount of repartee between Alcatraz and his cantankerous teenage protector Bastille, and a cliffhanger ending that promises more of the same. Plus dinosaurs in tweed vests. Who could ask for more?
added by Katya0133 | editHorn Book Magazine (Jan 1, 2008)

Like Lemony Snicket and superhero comics rolled into one (and then revved up on steroids), this nutty novel isn't for everyone, but it's also sure to win passionate fans.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Nov 19, 2007)

Though there's intentionally more humor than drama, Alcatraz becomes a more complex figure by the time his adventure is through as he discovers the value of friendship, courage, and family. Readers who prefer fantasy with plenty of humor should enjoy entering Alcatraz's strange but amusing world.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Steven Engelfried (Nov 1, 2007)

Alcatraz often interrupts his story with comments about reading, sometimes predicting accurately that we won't believe the events on the page. He doubts that librarians will recommend this book. He may be right.
added by sad787d | editKirkus (Sep 1, 2007)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lungstrass, CharlotteTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
McWade, CharlieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, Winn Sanderson, who bought me books
I am not a good person. (Foreword)
So, there I was, tied to an altar made from outdated encyclopedias, about to get sacrificed to the dark powers by a cult of evil Librarians. (Chapter 1)
Some people assume that authors write books because we have vivid imaginations and want to share our vision. Other people assume that authors write because we are bursting with stories, and therefore must scribble those stories down in moments of creative propondidty.
Both groups are completely wrong. Authors write books for one, and only one, reason: because we like to torture people.
...
Take for instance, the word I used above. Propondidty. There is no such word — I made it up. Why? Because it amused me to think of thousands of readers looking up a nonsense word in their dictionaries.
You could even scan to the end and read the last page. Know that by doing so, however, you would violate every holy and honorable storytelling principle known to man, thereby throwing the universe into chaos and causing grief to untold millions.
Your choice.
By now, it is probably very late at night, and you have stayed up to read this book when you should have gone to sleep. If this is the case, then I commend you for falling into my trap. It is a writer's greatest pleasure to hear that someone was kept up until the unholy hours of the morning reading one of his books. It goes back to authors being terrible people who delight in the suffering of others. Plus, we get a kick back from the caffeine industry.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439925525, Mass Market Paperback)

The evil Librarians are coming!

A hero with an incredible talent...for breaking things. A life-or-death mission...to rescue a bag of sand. A fearsome threat from a powerful secret network...the evil Librarians.
Alcatraz Smedry doesn't seem destined for anything but disaster. On his 13th birthday he receives a bag of sand, which is quickly stolen by the cult of evil Librarians plotting to take over the world. The sand will give the Librarians the edge they need to achieve world domination. Alcatraz must stop them!...by infiltrating the local library, armed with nothing but eyeglasses and a talent for klutziness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

On his thirteenth birthday, foster child Alcatraz Smedry receives a bag of sand which is immediately stolen by the evil Librarians who are trying to take over the world, and Alcatraz is introduced to his grandfather and his own special talent, and told that he must use it to save civilization.… (more)

137 wanted5 pay6 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,873,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible