Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians…

Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz, No. 1) (edition 2008)

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:jjpionke
Title:Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz, No. 1)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2008), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:middle school, librarians, fantasy, humor, won at a raffle, my teacher loves me, at your library, grandfather, clumsiness, multigenerational, social issues, family

Alcatraz Versus The Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson

The Accidental Hero by Matt Myklusch (readafew)
    readafew: I think Jack Blank is very similar to Alcatraz and Harry Potter, though without the overt humor. Worth a read.
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (Othemts)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (Othemts)
    Little Boy Lost by Eric Hobbs (Othemts)
    A Box of Unfortunate Events (01-12) The Horrendous Heap by Lemony Snicket (Othemts)

English (80)  German (2)  All languages (82)
The conceit that this is a true memoir, wasn't well executed. The conceit that librarians are evil wore thin way before the end of the book. Sorry. BUT - would be good for reluctant readers age 9-12, esp. boys who like video games. In fact, it would make a great video game. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I didn't like this book very much. I think it didn't hold my interest because it took a long time to really get to anything of substance. I love the idea of the story and the characters AND I think this would make a great movie or cartoon. It just took me a really, really long time to read because it was too easy to put down.
I am not sure how I would use this book, but I would recommend students that like this kind of story try it.
  PolyDrive | Mar 10, 2015 |
4.5 stars

Alcatraz is an orphan and has grown up in various foster families. Unfortunately, he has a tendency to break things and so he is often sent away to live with a new foster family. On his 13th birthday, though, he is sent a very odd gift: a bag of sand. The next day, an older man who says he is Alcatraz's grandfather shows up to take him away to fight the evil librarians who have stolen the bag of sand and are trying to take over the world.

I thought this book was sooo much fun! (It may help that I'm a librarian.) There was a lot of humour, as well as adventure in the book. The chapters usually started with Alcatraz talking to the reader. The book is written as if it's an autobiography. It's just a lot of fun and I will definitely be continuing the series! ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 8, 2015 |
I have thoroughly enjoyed everything else this author has written. This book is for kids, so that might be why I enjoyed it less than his others. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
I really had a hard time following this book until the last quarter of it, but I think that might be my age, not the book. I used NovelList to see if I could find a book similar to Skulduggery Pleasant series & this is one that came up. By the end of the book, I wanted to read the next in the series. ( )
  SpockMonkeys | Mar 2, 2014 |
For all its self-aware preciosity, this still stands as a happily action-packed romp, with just the right amount of repartee between Alcatraz and his cantankerous teenage protector Bastille, and a cliffhanger ending that promises more of the same. Plus dinosaurs in tweed vests. Who could ask for more?
added by Katya0133 | editHorn Book Magazine (Jan 1, 2008)

Like Lemony Snicket and superhero comics rolled into one (and then revved up on steroids), this nutty novel isn't for everyone, but it's also sure to win passionate fans.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Nov 19, 2007)

Though there's intentionally more humor than drama, Alcatraz becomes a more complex figure by the time his adventure is through as he discovers the value of friendship, courage, and family. Readers who prefer fantasy with plenty of humor should enjoy entering Alcatraz's strange but amusing world.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Steven Engelfried (Nov 1, 2007)

Alcatraz often interrupts his story with comments about reading, sometimes predicting accurately that we won't believe the events on the page. He doubts that librarians will recommend this book. He may be right.
added by sad787d | editKirkus (Sep 1, 2007)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lungstrass, CharlotteTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
McWade, CharlieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

For my father, Winn Sanderson, who bought me books
I am not a good person. (Foreword)
So, there I was, tied to an altar made from outdated encyclopedias, about to get sacrificed to the dark powers by a cult of evil Librarians. (Chapter 1)
Some people assume that authors write books because we have vivid imaginations and want to share our vision. Other people assume that authors write because we are bursting with stories, and therefore must scribble those stories down in moments of creative propondidty.
Both groups are completely wrong. Authors write books for one, and only one, reason: because we like to torture people.
...
Take for instance, the word I used above. Propondidty. There is no such word — I made it up. Why? Because it amused me to think of thousands of readers looking up a nonsense word in their dictionaries.
You could even scan to the end and read the last page. Know that by doing so, however, you would violate every holy and honorable storytelling principle known to man, thereby throwing the universe into chaos and causing grief to untold millions.
Your choice.
By now, it is probably very late at night, and you have stayed up to read this book when you should have gone to sleep. If this is the case, then I commend you for falling into my trap. It is a writer's greatest pleasure to hear that someone was kept up until the unholy hours of the morning reading one of his books. It goes back to authors being terrible people who delight in the suffering of others. Plus, we get a kick back from the caffeine industry.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439925525, Mass Market Paperback)

The evil Librarians are coming!

A hero with an incredible talent...for breaking things. A life-or-death mission...to rescue a bag of sand. A fearsome threat from a powerful secret network...the evil Librarians.
Alcatraz Smedry doesn't seem destined for anything but disaster. On his 13th birthday he receives a bag of sand, which is quickly stolen by the cult of evil Librarians plotting to take over the world. The sand will give the Librarians the edge they need to achieve world domination. Alcatraz must stop them!...by infiltrating the local library, armed with nothing but eyeglasses and a talent for klutziness.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:20 -0400)

On his thirteenth birthday, foster child Alcatraz Smedry receives a bag of sand which is immediately stolen by the evil Librarians who are trying to take over the world, and Alcatraz is introduced to his grandfather and his own special talent, and told that he must use it to save civilization.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,563,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible