The Last Enemy by Pauline Baird Jones

The Last Enemy

by Pauline Baird Jones

Even though the heroine is a romance author (which we are reminded of often) this is not a light read. Dani Gwynne is a witness in Protective Custody in a safe house that turns out to be not so safe. Somehow a hit man finds Dani and tries to kill her, taking out one of her protectors first. While in the safe house she's been chatting online. How this was allowed when her location was supposed to be secret was beyond me.

Dani feels like she can't trust anyone so runs on her own. She comes across as being smart in this story but running from the US Marshalls wasn't too bright. I understood why she did that but a smart person would have trusted the professionals to do their job. Yeah, some got killed doing it but it's still better to trust them than go it on your own. The way she was called a romance writer so much made her sound incompetent. All in all, it was hard to think very highly of Dani. Matt was one of the Marshalls protecting her. He was so absorbed in his job that he was not a very likable person. But he was good at what he did, making him determined to keep her alive. But she kept evading him and the villain who was after her. The villain was terrific. I hated him like I was supposed to.

This mystery has lots of surprises with the characters and a good ending. ( )
  JoAB | Mar 11, 2017 |
I loved this book. Every time I thought I was about to come to an ending, following an extremely suspenseful story line, all of a sudden I was climbing right into another suspenseful story line. And this didn't happen just once but several times. I loved the strong main character, Dani. I wish I could find a lonesome lawman of my own. ( )
  TracyJ914 | Oct 8, 2014 |

Dani Gwynne, a romance writer, is being pursued by a hit man hired to keep her from testifying at a murder trial. U.S. Marshal Matthew Kirby is determined to keep her alive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,445,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible