My Name Is Red (Everyman's Library…

My Name Is Red (Everyman's Library Classics & Contemporary Classics) (original 1998; edition 2010)

by Orhan Pamuk, Orhan Pamuk (Introduction), Erdag M. Goknar (Translator)

5,153131867 (3.76)1 / 344
Member:gossypia
Title:My Name Is Red (Everyman's Library Classics & Contemporary Classics)
Authors:Orhan Pamuk
Other authors:Orhan Pamuk (Introduction), Erdag M. Goknar (Translator)
Info:Everyman's Library (2010), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 536 pages
Tags:Turklit

My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (1998)

English (109)  French (7)  Italian (4)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  All (131)
John Lee gives an excellent narration for this historical fiction novel.

I knew a small amount about the 16th century Ottoman Empire so found the dispute between traditional Islamic artistic style and the 'new' Frankish style of more realistic imagery fascinating. Some might not care for the way the story is told from many perspectives (including a corpse in the opening chapter, a dog and a counterfeit coin) but I liked the way each narrator gives a different side of life at this time in Istanbul. And being a mystery buff, I liked the way the murderer gave his parts with subtle clues but I was still guessing right up to the end!

What was less to my taste (but an important part of the book) was the sometimes lengthy discussions about various famous (?) artists and their works & how art fit into the Muslim religion. These sections would have been better for me in written (rather than audio) form - the Arabic and Turkish names were sometimes difficult to identify and remember (and I can't flip back and refresh my memory with a digital audiobook the way I could in print or even ebook form). ( )
  leslie.98 | Nov 13, 2016 |
I enjoyed much of the book, which to me was a new look at a culture/religion I'm not very familiar with, but page after page describing the details of illustrations was wearing thin. ( )
  sbluerock | Nov 5, 2016 |
The premise is great, the story telling manner is also interesting (i've never seen a story told like that before), and it did keep me guessing (and i almost guessed too), but the book is much too tedious.. too many stories and details, too many tangents, too many things i really didn't care for to hear. ( )
  avalinah | Sep 11, 2016 |
"At once a fiendishly devious mystery, a beguiling love story, and a brilliant symposium on the power of art, My Name Is Red is a transporting tale set amid the splendor and religious intrigue of sixteenth-century Istanbul . . . "
  MerrittGibsonLibrary | Jul 2, 2016 |
My Name is Red -Orhan Pamuk
4 stars

First, a definition:

met·a·fic·tion ˈmetəˌfikSHən/
noun
noun: metafiction; plural noun: metafictions; noun: meta-fiction; plural noun: meta-fictions
fiction in which the author self-consciously alludes to the artificiality or literariness of a work by parodying or departing from novelistic conventions (especially naturalism) and traditional narrative techniques.

And with that definition in mind ……..

META- meta-fiction; Pamuk’s characters not only depart from novelistic conventions, they also use this departure to self-consciously analyze the nature and philosophy of illustrative art. Pamuk even plays with the basic concept of a character. Each chapter is told from the first person perspective of a single character and although there are several voices who carry the main burden of the plot, we also hear from illustrations of a dog, a tree, a gold coin, and a horse among other unusual perspectives.

In the first chapter, “I am a Corpse”, we learn of a murder, from the victim, who also supplies the motive for his own assassination. “My death conceals an appalling conspiracy against our religion, our traditions, and the way we see the world.” This man was a miniaturist, one of an elite group of artists who were engaged in a secret project for a 16th century Sultan. Their task was to introduce Western portraiture techniques into traditional Islamic illustration. Before the identity of the murderer can be revealed through a close examination of the completed illustrations, another murder and a love affair complicate the plot.

I enjoyed the complex structure of this book. The prose was stunning and the philosophical issues gave me a lot to chew on. I definitely felt that I’d entered the world of these 16th century Turkish artists The devil is in the detail, detail, detail. Pamuk pores it on, layer upon layer of artistic skill, traditional esthetics, personal ambition, religious suppression and egotistical competition. It’s a world of lies, flattery, concealment, manipulation,and threat; I didn’t find one completely trustworthy character in the entire book. There’s satire that’s particularly bitter in this story, but there’s very little humor.

I’ve been wanting to read this book since I read Birds Without Wings. Most of the publisher’s blurbs compared the de Bernieres book to My Name Is Red.It seems obvious that Bernieres was influenced by Pamuk. That influence goes right to the heart of the artistic dilemma that Pamuk’s miniaturists seem to be struggling with. If all art is imitation, where is the creative expression of the artist? Bernieres may have made use of Pamuk’s format, but his book is far from rote imitation. I liked both of these books, but my heart is given to Birds Without Wings. I don’t mind stretching my brain around the meta-fictional philosophy, but I also want a few likable characters and a little bit of humor to go with it.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
The new one, ''My Name Is Red,'' is by far the grandest and most astonishing contest in Pamuk's internal East-West war. Translated with fluid grace by Erdag M. Goknor, the novel is set in the late 16th century, during the reign of Sultan Murat III, a patron of the miniaturists whose art had come over from Persia in the course of the previous hundred years. It was a time when the Ottomans' confidence in unstoppable empire had begun to be shaken by the power of the West -- their defeat at Lepanto had taken place only a few years earlier -- as well as by its cultural vitality and seductiveness.

Orhan Pamukprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bertolini, MartaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campin, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dorleijn, MargreetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Göknar, ErdağTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gezgin, ŞemsaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heijden, Hanneke van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iren, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kojo, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shen, ZhixingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wondergem, MijkeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You slew a man then fell out with another concerning him. (Koran, "The Cow," 72)

The blind and the seeing are not equal. (Koran, "The Creator," 19)

To God belongs the East and the West. (Koran, "The Cow," 115)
For Rüya
I am nothing but a corpse now, a body at the bottom of a well.
Over long years, as we gaze at book after book and illustration after illustration, we come to learn the following: A great painter does not content himself by affecting us with his masterpieces; ultimately, he succeeds in changing the landscape of our minds. Once a miniaturist's artistry enters our souls this way, it becomes the criterion for the beauty of our world.
Books, which we mistake for consolation, only add depth to our sorrow.
Painting is the silence of thought and the music of sight.
Colour is the touch of the eye, music to the deaf, a word out of the darkness.
An artist's skill depends on carefully attending to the beauty of the present moment, taking everything down to the minutest detail seriously while, at the same time, stepping back from the world, which takes itself too seriously, and as if looking into a mirror, allowing for the distance and eloquence of a jest.

At once a fiendishly devious mystery, a beguiling love story, and a brilliant symposium on the power of art, My Name Is Red is a transporting tale set amid the splendor and religious intrigue of sixteenth-century Istanbul, from one of the most prominent contemporary Turkish writers.

The Sultan has commissioned a cadre of the most acclaimed artists in the land to create a great book celebrating the glories of his realm. Their task: to illuminate the work in the European style. But because figurative art can be deemed an affront to Islam, this commission is a dangerous proposition indeed. The ruling elite therefore mustn’t know the full scope or nature of the project, and panic erupts when one of the chosen miniaturists disappears. The only clue to the mystery–or crime? –lies in the half-finished illuminations themselves. Part fantasy and part philosophical puzzle, My Name is Red is a kaleidoscopic journey to the intersection of art, religion, love, sex and power.

Translated from the Turkish by Erda M Göknar

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:11 -0400)

A furor erupts in sixteenth-century Istanbul when the Sultan commissions the European-style illumination of a great book, and the situation worsens when one of the miniaturists vanishes mysteriously.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,798,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible