My Name Is Red (Everyman's Library…

My Name Is Red (Everyman's Library Classics & Contemporary Classics) (original 1998; edition 2010)

by Orhan Pamuk, Orhan Pamuk (Introduction), Erdag M. Goknar (Translator)

4,847126954 (3.76)1 / 322
Member:gossypia
Title:My Name Is Red (Everyman's Library Classics & Contemporary Classics)
Authors:Orhan Pamuk
Other authors:Orhan Pamuk (Introduction), Erdag M. Goknar (Translator)
Info:Everyman's Library (2010), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 536 pages
Tags:Turklit

My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (1998)

Recently added byonkarhoysala, avere, mjculbertson, private library, The_reading_swimmer, grownsync, alaziz

English (105)  French (7)  Italian (4)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Indonesian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (126)
This book was very slow and difficult read. There was way too much information about the theory of art in Muslim religion. In addition I found the amount of talk about aberrant sexuality disturbing (e.g., sex with young boy apprentices and sex with animals). ( )
  KamGeb | May 12, 2015 |
I originally picked up this book for a world fiction reading challenge a couple of years ago, but got bogged down about halfway in and gave up. I eventually decided to give it another go, and this time I managed to finish it. In Istanbul in the late sixteenth century, the Sultan asks a retired and highly-regarded miniaturist to manage the creation of a book to celebrate his reign. But this book will not be illustrated in the Persian style, as is considered proper and religiously correct, but in the European style (depictions of people and animals is haram in Islam; hence Islamic art’s focus on calligraphy and architecture). But one of the miniaturists secretly approached to provide illustrations, or part of the illustrations, disagrees with the project and murders one of the other miniaturists. The novel is structured as first-person narratives by all those involved, including the murdered victims, the daughter of the man managing the project, and a young man who has returned to Istanbul after years in the provinces to ask for the daughter’s hand… It’s not the fastest-paced of murder-mysteries, and Pamuk seems fond of presenting the same piece of information from several different viewpoints so they more or less contradict, or at least, confuse each other. But I did think My Name is Red was very good… although I wasn’t so taken I plan to seek out Pamuk’s other novels. ( )
  iansales | Mar 14, 2015 |
Sights set too high, I suppose. I'd been told "Much better than Snow. You'll love it." and it's true; shifting (eccentric!) perspectives and lush miniaturist detail kept things moving along at a pleasant clip. The book didn't begin to feel like a slog until the halfway point, when the misery of the latter part of the novel became inevitable, and the lengthy History of Miniaturism interludes grew ever larger, ever more tedious.
Maybe if I too had the tenacity to paint individual tree leaves on a grain of rice I would feel more tolerant of the lists. More accepting of didactic tone. More circuitous. More willing to let myself grow blind with the effort. ( )
  ternary | Feb 14, 2015 |
Ora non è che ci si puo' mettere a fare i difficili e stare a sindacare su un libro che uno che ha davvero la capacità poetica che la 4^ di copertina promette ci mette sei anni a scrivere. Pero' la miniatura e le sue problematiche nella Turchia del 1590...
Bello, eh. Scritto bene, anzi benissimo. Non pensavo ci fossero tutti questi aggettivi, al mondo. Poi c'e' anche la storia d'amore, c'e' un po' di thriller, ci sono queste donne (che tra Esther e Sekure non so chi mi stava piu' simpatica), poi queste apparizioni fugaci (Io sono questo, Io sono quello...) che senti parlare una volta poi non le si rivede piu'. Proprio strutturato bene, con grande intelligenza e cultura. E' peso, ma non perche' è lungo, prolisso, e immobile.
Per me è proprio l'argomento che è faticoso, è piu' un saggio che un romanzo, quando smettevano di parlare delle miniature e tornavano a fare discorsi normali tiravo il fiato. Solo che di discorsi normali non ce n'e' poi cosi' tanti... ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
An interesting setting that allowed for an exploration of the fascinating world of miniaturists, whose illustrations for texts serve as a loophole for the ban on visual arts in the Ottoman Empire. These strengths are not enough to compensate for the fact that this book is a false mystery, one of those mysteries where there are no clues to follow and where the final motive could just as easily been handed to another character. This made the conclusion unsatisfying to me, and retroactively made segments of this book feel like a waste of time. I'll try another by Pamuk later, as the setting for this one was quite strong, and if you are looking for a book with a setting unlike what you usually find this one might be worth your time as well. ( )
  BayardUS | Dec 10, 2014 |
The new one, ''My Name Is Red,'' is by far the grandest and most astonishing contest in Pamuk's internal East-West war. Translated with fluid grace by Erdag M. Goknor, the novel is set in the late 16th century, during the reign of Sultan Murat III, a patron of the miniaturists whose art had come over from Persia in the course of the previous hundred years. It was a time when the Ottomans' confidence in unstoppable empire had begun to be shaken by the power of the West -- their defeat at Lepanto had taken place only a few years earlier -- as well as by its cultural vitality and seductiveness.

Orhan Pamukprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bertolini, MartaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campin, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dorleijn, MargreetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Göknar, ErdağTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gezgin, ŞemsaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heijden, Hanneke van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iren, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kojo, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shen, ZhixingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wondergem, MijkeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You slew a man then fell out with another concerning him. (Koran, "The Cow," 72)

The blind and the seeing are not equal. (Koran, "The Creator," 19)

To God belongs the East and the West. (Koran, "The Cow," 115)
For Rüya
I am nothing but a corpse now, a body at the bottom of a well.
Over long years, as we gaze at book after book and illustration after illustration, we come to learn the following: A great painter does not content himself by affecting us with his masterpieces; ultimately, he succeeds in changing the landscape of our minds. Once a miniaturist's artistry enters our souls this way, it becomes the criterion for the beauty of our world.
Books, which we mistake for consolation, only add depth to our sorrow.
Painting is the silence of thought and the music of sight.
Colour is the touch of the eye, music to the deaf, a word out of the darkness.
An artist's skill depends on carefully attending to the beauty of the present moment, taking everything down to the minutest detail seriously while, at the same time, stepping back from the world, which takes itself too seriously, and as if looking into a mirror, allowing for the distance and eloquence of a jest.

At once a fiendishly devious mystery, a beguiling love story, and a brilliant symposium on the power of art, My Name Is Red is a transporting tale set amid the splendor and religious intrigue of sixteenth-century Istanbul, from one of the most prominent contemporary Turkish writers.

The Sultan has commissioned a cadre of the most acclaimed artists in the land to create a great book celebrating the glories of his realm. Their task: to illuminate the work in the European style. But because figurative art can be deemed an affront to Islam, this commission is a dangerous proposition indeed. The ruling elite therefore mustn’t know the full scope or nature of the project, and panic erupts when one of the chosen miniaturists disappears. The only clue to the mystery–or crime? –lies in the half-finished illuminations themselves. Part fantasy and part philosophical puzzle, My Name is Red is a kaleidoscopic journey to the intersection of art, religion, love, sex and power.

Translated from the Turkish by Erda M Göknar

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:11 -0400)

A furor erupts in sixteenth-century Istanbul when the Sultan commissions the European-style illumination of a great book, and the situation worsens when one of the miniaturists vanishes mysteriously.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,932,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible