The Silver Ship and the Sea by Brenda Cooper

The Silver Ship and the Sea (2007)

by Brenda Cooper

Series: Saga of the Silver Ship (book 1)

Fremont is a colonized planet, a dangerous planet that always hides predators behind its wildness. Chelo is one of the six altered humans left on this planet - but none of her community of first colonists trust her at all.

I didn't like this book because it didn't feel real. It was just too hard to immerse myself into this world, into this plot, into the characters. None of the dialogue rang true to me. The interactions felt fake and I didn't believe the colonists's hatred towards these six children. I think a lot of the problem was that the whole book was written in Chelo's perspective as first person, but we still somehow were able to know what other people felt and thought. And I just don't trust the narrator to tell me what other people are thinking. It all felt forced.

The world-building... it was a good attempt. But the world didn't really interest me. It wasn't radically different, it wasn't that dangerous to be honest (despite what the book summary promised).

Randomly picked up this book at the library because the summary looked interesting, but honestly, I just didn't care about anything in this book.

One star because I didn't want to read it, even after powering through more than 80 pages and skimming through the rest of the book.
Not recommended for anyone. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Not recommended for anyone. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Ooh, another book about mutants. I went to the library and picked up this and Dust at the same time. And similarly - kind of a journey of discovery for an adolescent female protagonist. Still reading.
  sumik | Jul 18, 2013 |
YA, which may be why there's too much telling, and not enough showing. Did quite like the world-building. ( )
1 vote mulliner | Sep 20, 2009 |
The story took time to develop and become interesting, but once the characters developed the dynamics of the story made a interesting tale. ( )
  gimble | Jun 2, 2009 |

Cooper, BrendaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martiniere, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FROM THE STORY OF CHELO LEE, DATED JULY 17, YEAR 222, FREMONT STANDARD, AS BROUGHT TO THE ACADEMY OF NEW WORLD HISTORIANS

Fremont was discovered in the year zero. Zero always begins the marking of a new planet's time, as if it did not exist before humans found it.

The colony planet Fremont is joyous, riotous, and very wild.  Its grasses can cut your arms and legs to ribbons, the rinds of its precious fruit can skewer your thumbs, and some of the predators are bigger than humans.  Meteors fall from the sky and volcanoes erupt.  Fremont is verdant, rich, beautiful, and dangerous.
Fremont's single town, Artistos, perches on a cliff below rugged mountains.  Below Artistos lie the Grass Plains, which lead down to the sea.  And in the middle of the Grass Plains, a single silver spaceship lies quiet and motionless.  The seasons do not dull it, nor do the winds scratch it---and the fearful citizens of Aristos won't go near it.
Chelo Lee, her brother Joseph, and four other young children have been abandoned on the colony planet. Unfortunate events have left them orphaned in a human colony that abhors genetic engineering--and these six young people are genetically enhanced.
With no one to turn to, Chelo and the others must now learn how to use their distinct skills to make this unwelcome planet home, or find a way off it. They have few tools--an old crazy woman who wonders the edges of town, spouting out cryptic messages; their appreciation and affection for each other; a good dose of curiosity; and that abandoned silver space ship that sits locked and alone in the middle of the vast grass plain …

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:41 -0400)

Chelo Lee, her brother Joseph, and four other genetically enhanced children who have been abandoned on the colony world of Fremont struggle to make the dangerous, wild planet home and discover that a long-deserted space ship could hold the key to their survival.… (more)

Brenda Cooper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,423,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible