Chainfire: Chainfire Trilogy, Part 1 (Sword…

Chainfire: Chainfire Trilogy, Part 1 (Sword of Truth, Book 9) (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Terry Goodkind

Member:kappasigma
Title:Chainfire: Chainfire Trilogy, Part 1 (Sword of Truth, Book 9)
Authors:Terry Goodkind
Info:Tor Fantasy (2005), Edition: First Thus, Mass Market Paperback, 768 pages

Chainfire by Terry Goodkind (2005)

Recently added byprivate library, Bookluvr1989, catiew, kband, Anvity

English (22)  Italian (1)  All languages (23)
This review refers to the SOT series through book 9.

Terry Goodkind’s first book Wizard’s First Rule was great! Except for the actual First Rule ("People are Stupid"), which was...stupid. The story had so many unique and fascinating characters (especially the secondary ones). I was in love with Richard; I wanted to be a Mord-Sith. The next couple of books of The Sword of Truth were pretty good, too.

Then...I don’t know what happened...it just TOTALLY lost it. The writing style became incredibly annoying and Richard was getting WAY too preachy (constant Ayn Rand-ish humanistic ranting). But, I kept going because I was really invested by this time. And each time I bought one of his $25 hardback books, I found myself rolling my eyes at every passive sentence and starting to fall asleep during the sermons (when did Richard hire a speech writer??).

And the plot really got ssslllllloooowwww (just look at the book covers for Chainfire and Phantom — you can tell we're not going anywhere). But the weirdest thing is that I kept buying these 1 star books! I can’t explain my behavior, except to say that Terry Goodkind is (was) a master at plot and characterization (truly, his secondary characters are so well done). So I kept thinking that things would get better, but they did not. How did he pull off that excellent first booK?? I've learned from this experience that I can put down a book if it's not good. There's too much good literature to read.

According to Mr Goodkind, those of us who have bailed out are ignorant and uneducated. Wow. That is something I have never been called before. I should have realized right from the start ("Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid") what kind of fellow Terry Goodkind is. Here is a quote from a chat session conducted with Mr Goodkind (this used to be on his website, but has now been removed. It is well-documented on the internet, however.):

"Why would they continue to read books they claim are bad? Because they hate that my novels exists. Values arouse hatred in these people. Their goal is not to enjoy life, but to destroy that which is good — much like a school child who does not wish to study for a test and instead beats up a classmate who does well. These people hate what is good because it is good. Their lives are limited to loathing and indifference. It isn't that they want to read a good book, what they want is to make sure that you do not. Ignore them." —Terry Goodkind

I say Terry Goodkind is the one acting like a school child having a tantrum. I regret that he got so much of my money. I hope you won't give him any of yours. If you really want to try a Goodkind book, I would recommend that you go to the library and check out the first few, and then trust me that you don't need to read any further. I will not read the last book. I'm not even tempted. What an ass.
Read more Terry Goodkind book reviews at Fantasy Literature . ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Have not read this yet. Still gathering books for the entire series. Have read the first book: Wizard's First Rule.
  MelissaLauren | Apr 28, 2013 |
This is the first of a trilogy of books within the Sword of Truth series. It was hard going as the author seemed intent on dragging out the "I can see her/I can't see her" plot as long as possible. This book could have easily been incorporated in the second of the trilogy. ( )
1 vote soliloquies | Mar 23, 2013 |
I found this book quite a slog. By this time, when I found out Kahlan had been erased from the memory of all, my reaction was a sigh, because I felt been there, done that. Not that Goodkind had used this particular device before, but how many times in this series had she and Richard been parted. Again.

And for me this series has long lost its sense of humor--and fun. And yes, it did once have that. I found Zedd especially quite lovable. A lot of people object to Goodkind's philosophy--he makes no bones on this website that he's a devotee of Ayn Rand. That doesn't bother me the way it does some. It didn't surprise me--I thought I saw a libertarian theme in the early books--which is something I personally found attractive. But I do hate preachiness--even when I'm singing with the choir. And somewhere in the series Goodkind did get unbearably preachy to a tune I've heard before--and sung much better mind you.

This is the ninth book overall in the series. This book is also known as the "Chainfire Trilogy" because the last three books concluding the series are essentially one book--not at all self-contained. I think the series is at its worst in the middle part, Phantom, and don't think Goodkind really redeems himself in the conclusion, Confessor. So I'd say Chainfire is for completists only. Or those who really, really still love this series unequivocally. I can't say I count myself among them. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Oct 17, 2012 |
This is a fantastic book. After the last two books, it really picks the series back up. It's back on par with the first two books in the series. You really feel for Richard here, so much that you hurt when he hurts. Really that's been the case throughout the series because Goodkind's characterization is just that good, but here it is very prevalent. Richard suffers here and the reader can't help but feel for him. The writing is also really good, like always. However this is the one book where I really can't stand some of the characters (Cough** Ann and Verna). This is a powerful book, and while some people are looking for different things and might like this is a mediocre book but it has all that I liked in the previous series. Looking forward to the next book. ( )
  Kassilem | Sep 25, 2012 |

Goodkind, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Giuliano, NelloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Vincent Cascella, a man of inspirational intellect, wit, strength, and courage...and a friend who is always there for me
"How much of this blood is his?" a woman asked.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765344319, Mass Market Paperback)

With Wizard's First Rule and seven subsequent masterpieces, Terry Goodkind has thrilled readers worldwide with the unique sweep of his storytelling. Now Goodkind returns with a new novel of Richard and Kahlan, the beginning of a sequence of three novels that will bring their epic story to its culmination.

After being gravely injured in battle, Richard awakes to discover Kahlan missing. To his disbelief, no one remembers the woman he is frantically trying to find. Worse, no one believes that she really exists, or that he was ever married. Alone as never before, he must find the woman he loves more than life itself....if she is even still alive. If she was ever even real.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:18 -0400)

Richard struggles to find his missing wife Kahlan in spite of the bizarre fact that no one else seems to believe she actually exists or that he is married to her.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,627,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible