Stone of Tears (The Sword of Truth #2) by…

Stone of Tears (The Sword of Truth #2) (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Terry Goodkind

4,82048959 (3.87)61
Member:kappasigma
Title:Stone of Tears (The Sword of Truth #2)
Authors:Terry Goodkind
Info:Tor Fantasy (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 992 pages
Rating:*****

Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind (1995)

English (45)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (48)
This review refers to the SOT series through book 9.

Terry Goodkind’s first book Wizard’s First Rule was great! Except for the actual First Rule ("People are Stupid"), which was...stupid. The story had so many unique and fascinating characters (especially the secondary ones). I was in love with Richard; I wanted to be a Mord-Sith. The next couple of books of The Sword of Truth were pretty good, too.

Then...I don’t know what happened...it just TOTALLY lost it. The writing style became incredibly annoying and Richard was getting WAY too preachy (constant Ayn Rand-ish humanistic ranting). But, I kept going because I was really invested by this time. And each time I bought one of his $25 hardback books, I found myself rolling my eyes at every passive sentence and starting to fall asleep during the sermons (when did Richard hire a speech writer??).

And the plot really got ssslllllloooowwww (just look at the book covers for Chainfire and Phantom — you can tell we're not going anywhere). But the weirdest thing is that I kept buying these 1 star books! I can’t explain my behavior, except to say that Terry Goodkind is (was) a master at plot and characterization (truly, his secondary characters are so well done). So I kept thinking that things would get better, but they did not. How did he pull off that excellent first booK?? I've learned from this experience that I can put down a book if it's not good. There's too much good literature to read.

According to Mr Goodkind, those of us who have bailed out are ignorant and uneducated. Wow. That is something I have never been called before. I should have realized right from the start ("Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid") what kind of fellow Terry Goodkind is. Here is a quote from a chat session conducted with Mr Goodkind (this used to be on his website, but has now been removed. It is well-documented on the internet, however.):

"Why would they continue to read books they claim are bad? Because they hate that my novels exists. Values arouse hatred in these people. Their goal is not to enjoy life, but to destroy that which is good — much like a school child who does not wish to study for a test and instead beats up a classmate who does well. These people hate what is good because it is good. Their lives are limited to loathing and indifference. It isn't that they want to read a good book, what they want is to make sure that you do not. Ignore them." —Terry Goodkind

I say Terry Goodkind is the one acting like a school child having a tantrum. I regret that he got so much of my money. I hope you won't give him any of yours. If you really want to try a Goodkind book, I would recommend that you go to the library and check out the first few, and then trust me that you don't need to read any further. I will not read the last book. I'm not even tempted. What an ass.
Read more Terry Goodkind book reviews at Fantasy Literature . ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I hate that these books are so damn long, but so damn fun to read. It's like, "I'm reading a Sword of Truth book. Better clear my calendar."

I thought that book 2 would be shorter because all the exposition was out of the way. Nope. This one's almost 100,000 words longer. That means 100,000 more pages of the world's most unlikeable fantasy hero.

Well, unlikeable isn't a good word to describe him. If he was that unlikeable, I'd stop reading. His problem is he has no humility. Mere humans are no longer problems for him now that he's the Seeker and a wizard and got the Sword of Truth and he caught all the Pokemon. The only things he fears are losing his girlfriend and dead people he previously killed who can mess his shit up. If you aren't one of those things, you are an ant.

It's not that he does evil deeds. He does good deeds. But he does them in such an egotistical, "I-know-this-will-never-fail" way that makes him a jerk. Like if Superman was more realistic. He does things without consideration for consequences. And he feels it's his duty to right every wrong. He has no no sense of humor and never considers consequences before acting. It's like he's forgotten that he's human, that even the most subtle wizard will still fall to a knife between the shoulder blades. Who knows if I would become the same under the same circumstances. But he's so dynamic that I can't stop reading about him.

And then there's his love interest, Kahlan. They were an item in the first book, but for this one, they're separated. Except for a large chunk in the beginning that plays out much like the entirety of the previous book:."Oh, I love you." "I love you too." "But we can't be together." "I'll die without you." "I'll die if I'm with you." "Let's die together." "We almost died... together." Would you just have sex and get on with it? It's like you have to say it enough to convince yourself of it.

And the other thing is that this author must hate women. There's not a woman in this book who's a nice, normal person. Everyone's either a dominatrix, a lesbian witch, a tribal amazon, or a school teacher nun (in both slutty and non-slutty varieties). They're all dumbass flirts or power-hungry witches. The dragon's the nicest female in the book. ( )
  theWallflower | Feb 24, 2014 |
The story and themes this book touches on are generally pretty interesting. Goodkind holds with the love story from the first book, delving into the importance of love and its dangers. While I had a lot of trouble with the love story in the previous book, here it works well and is one of the better themes. This is a bit strange when you consider the two focuses of the love story spend so much time apart here.

Although touched on briefly in Wizards the idea of prophesies his and critique of them in this book is greatly expanded, and really helps this title out. The difficulty of anyone truly understanding prophecies in any way other than hindsight was really interesting and it made any scene with Nathan all that much more interesting. This sub-plot was by far a highlight for me. In to many fantasy novels, prophecy is just a plot device that is treated like instructions for building furniture from Ikea. It was nice to see the idea given a good once over.

I also liked that Goodkind continued with the one new rule per book that he started in Wizard’s First Rule. The rules are each worked into the story in a really interesting way, and I find myself interested in finding out what the next one is.

Even though I loved the way several of the plot points were handled, the characters remain the main reason I enjoyed this book. Zed is a pleasure to follow and Richards’s story line was both interesting and different from what he faced in the last book. To many times sequels become rehashes of the first title so it was nice to see him getting new challenges. The addition of Gratch is well done and I found myself really liking him as a character.

Unfortunately I found everything around Kahlan to be a bit tedious; unlike Richard who still feels fresh she is still hitting the same notes. Instead of feeling like her own character she is starting to come off as just a plot device for others.

Read Expanded Review ( )
  TStarnes | Oct 20, 2013 |
I can't force myself to finish this book :( ( )
  my6boyzmom | Jul 26, 2013 |
I managed to get through this one as well. The writing is still horrible, but like a train wreck, or a bad soap opera, there was something addicting in the plot. ( )
  rdyornot | Jul 18, 2013 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parkinson, KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, Natalie and Leo
Rachel clutched her doll tighter to her chest and stared at the dark thing watching her from the bushes.
Life be one act of desperation after another.

Prosegue la ristampa in edizione economica di uno dei cicli fondamentali della fantasy contemporanea La Spada della Verità è una delle opere fantasy più amate e seguite nel mondo. Immenso per ambientazione e sviluppo narrativo, il ciclo ha ottenuto il favore della critica e degli appassionati, suscitando confronti con le opere classiche di Robert Jordan e J.R.R. Tolkien, e riuscendo a rinnovare un genere di consolidata tradizione. Il secondo volume de La Spada della Verità raccoglie i romanzi Il Guardiano delle Tenebre e La Pietra delle Lacrime, proponendosi come un vero e proprio classico della moderna letteratura fantastica. Le forze delle tenebre sono ormai all'opera. L'apertura della scatola dell'Orden ha creato una lacerazione nel velo magico che separa il regno dei morti da quello dei vivi, e portato alla luce la Pietra delle Lacrime, un gioiello di incredibile potere. Zedd decide di nascondere la pietra perché se dovesse cadere nelle mani sbagliate, potrebbe essere usata per distruggere del tutto il velo liberando l'efferato Guardiano. Richard è l'unico in grado di ricucire lo strappo del velo, ma dopo aver scatenato in maniera incontrollata i propri poteri magici latenti ha bisogno dell'aiuto delle Sorelle della Luce, una misteriosa confraternita di incantatrici da tutti ritenute una leggenda, che da secoli si dedica all'addestramento dei maghi. “Credo davvero che quest’opera sarà un evento, come Il signore degli anelli negli anni Sessanta.” Marion Zimmer Bradley “Un’opera fantasy fenomenale, di grande inventiva, che rivela senza ombra di dubbio uno dei maestri di questo genere letterario.” Piers Anthony “Un romanzo pieno di azione e di personaggi affascinanti, inventivo in modo sempre intelligente e originale.” Booklist

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812548094, Mass Market Paperback)

An Epic of Awesome Power

Kahlan has at last gained the one goal she had always thought was beyond her grasp ... love. Against all odds, the ancient bonds of secret oaths, and the dark talents of men long dead, Richard has won her heart.

Amid sudden and disastrous events, Richard's life is called due to satisfy those treacherous oaths. To save his life, Kahlan must forsake Richard's love and cast him into the chains of slavery, knowing there could be no sin worse than such a betrayal.

Richard is determined to unlock the secrets bound in the magic of ancient oaths and to again be free. Kahlan, alone with the terrible truth of what she has done, must set about altering the course of a world thrown into war. But even that may be easier than ever winning back the heart of the only man she will ever love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:42 -0400)

A fantasy adventure in which a woman warrior, the Mother Confessor, leads a rag tag force of young people against the army of an evil tyrant, waging a campaign of extermination. By the author of the Wizard's First Rule.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,604,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible