Stone of Tears (The Sword of Truth #2) by…

Stone of Tears (The Sword of Truth #2) (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Terry Goodkind

Member:melissagmcphail
Title:Stone of Tears (The Sword of Truth #2)
Authors:Terry Goodkind
Info:Tor Fantasy (1996), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 992 pages

Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind (1995)

Recently added bySkylles, ssleif, zkazy, MillieHennessy, Mosiat, silva_44, easnow, lalachan, private library, iantaiseland

English (50)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (54)
This series is absolutely amazing!! This second book details how Richard works at defeating the evil Darken Rahl. It's filled with suspense, awesome battle scenes, mystery, magic, and much more. Goodkind makes some incredibly astute observations about politics, religion, and how people tick. I can't wait to read the rest of the series. ( )
  silva_44 | Apr 18, 2015 |
Ended happily! Surprisingly similar elements to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time universe. ( )
  LindaLiu | Jan 18, 2015 |
A clunker at 979 pages, but an outstanding novel in its own right. I was extremely impressed at how Goodkind further developed Richard and Kahlan. The two characters had to deal with their own feelings towards each other and with how their world treated them as well. Richard has to also deal with the "return" of Darken Rahl (his father) and the attempt to tear the veil of the underworld to basically allow the Keeper complete control of the world of the Creator. Kahlan sends Richard away under the control of the Sisters of the Light, and the majority of the novel is driven by Richard's growth into a powerful wizard who has to deal with the above mentioned events as well as trying to reunite with Kahlan to save her life. This book also sets up upcoming novels in this series as Richard will have to deal with and conquer forces who are aligned with the Sisters of the Dark and the underworld as well. ( )
  utbw42 | Jan 16, 2015 |
Richard has the gift but doesn't want it. Richard has the gift but doesn't want it. Richard has the gift but doesn't want it. Kahlan is the Mother Confessor but doesn't want to be. Kahlan is the Mother Confessor but doesn't want to be. Kahlan is the Mother Confessor but doesn't want to be. That's the sort of feeling I got while reading this book.

It's the second in the Sword of Truth series, the sequel to the Wizard's First Rule. In this one we learn about the second rule, to paraphrase, good things you do even for the reasons sometimes make everything turn to crap (hey, I said I was paraphrasing). In this epic Kahlan and Richard spend most of their time apart which made the story seem like it was being pulled in two. Fighting a war and fighting, uh, I guess a bunch of anti-nun types who collar young boys. I put it in those words not to shock, but to warn. The boys they collar are the ones who have the wizard's gift. I've read a wide variety of books with all sorts of stuff in it, some of it tasteful, some of it not so much, a lot of it just implied. In this book, there was just something so insanely creepy about the relationship between the Sisters of the Light characters and the Wizards to be.

Then of course, like the first one, it repeats, well, a whole lot of stuff ad infinitum, and then repeatedly... This makes the plot drag worse than someone trying to get through a Wizard's shield with no subtraction magic.

And again, like in the first, the sad thing is that some parts of the book, some characters, some scenes are so brilliant and amazing that it hurts to read the crappy stuff. We meet Cara and one of the Sisters of the Light, Verna. But, all that goodness is buried an mired in the muck and dreck that is the rest of the story. So, a middling three stars. The bad mostly balances out the good, but only barely. ( )
  DanieXJ | Sep 27, 2014 |
After finishing up the first book in the Sword of Truth Series I was excited to read the next book. Stone of Tears did not let me down! It was better than the first book, even though I thought it was a little predictable and formulaic.

I enjoyed the story of this book and how it picked up right after the previous story ended. The plot was engaging and there were plenty of sub plots, which kept the story moving. Even though the plot dragged in some parts, it would eventually pick up after a short time. It also had humorous aspects, as well as action, despair, and violent scenes (rape, death, gory battles).

Goodkind was detailed (sometimes overly so) when it came to describing his unique, compelling, and ever expanding world. It was interesting to have the story focus on other parts of the world that we have not been before. I particularly liked going to the Old World and meeting new groups of people.

Terry Goodkind did a wonderful job of developing his characters, especially some of the secondary characters we are introduced to in this book. Verna, Chandalen, and Gratch are a few of the new characters we get to meet. In regards to his main characters, we get to see other sides to them. The only thing I don’t like about his characters is that they are either good or evil; he doesn’t have any gray characters that I noticed.

Even though this novel was good, I have some complaints. First of all, Goodkind’s writing is not that good. There is simplicity in his sentence structure and there are many abrupt transitions, which prevents the story from flowing well. Also, the author tends to repeat past events, even the larger ones that you probably wouldn’t forget. Maybe this was helpful when reading them as they came out, but back to back it gets a little annoying. Additionally, the ending was completed in just a few pages. When considering the length of the book, I felt it was a little abrupt. ( )
  AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parkinson, KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, Natalie and Leo
Rachel clutched her doll tighter to her chest and stared at the dark thing watching her from the bushes.
Life be one act of desperation after another.

Prosegue la ristampa in edizione economica di uno dei cicli fondamentali della fantasy contemporanea La Spada della Verità è una delle opere fantasy più amate e seguite nel mondo. Immenso per ambientazione e sviluppo narrativo, il ciclo ha ottenuto il favore della critica e degli appassionati, suscitando confronti con le opere classiche di Robert Jordan e J.R.R. Tolkien, e riuscendo a rinnovare un genere di consolidata tradizione. Il secondo volume de La Spada della Verità raccoglie i romanzi Il Guardiano delle Tenebre e La Pietra delle Lacrime, proponendosi come un vero e proprio classico della moderna letteratura fantastica. Le forze delle tenebre sono ormai all'opera. L'apertura della scatola dell'Orden ha creato una lacerazione nel velo magico che separa il regno dei morti da quello dei vivi, e portato alla luce la Pietra delle Lacrime, un gioiello di incredibile potere. Zedd decide di nascondere la pietra perché se dovesse cadere nelle mani sbagliate, potrebbe essere usata per distruggere del tutto il velo liberando l'efferato Guardiano. Richard è l'unico in grado di ricucire lo strappo del velo, ma dopo aver scatenato in maniera incontrollata i propri poteri magici latenti ha bisogno dell'aiuto delle Sorelle della Luce, una misteriosa confraternita di incantatrici da tutti ritenute una leggenda, che da secoli si dedica all'addestramento dei maghi. “Credo davvero che quest’opera sarà un evento, come Il signore degli anelli negli anni Sessanta.” Marion Zimmer Bradley “Un’opera fantasy fenomenale, di grande inventiva, che rivela senza ombra di dubbio uno dei maestri di questo genere letterario.” Piers Anthony “Un romanzo pieno di azione e di personaggi affascinanti, inventivo in modo sempre intelligente e originale.” Booklist

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812548094, Mass Market Paperback)

An Epic of Awesome Power

Kahlan has at last gained the one goal she had always thought was beyond her grasp ... love. Against all odds, the ancient bonds of secret oaths, and the dark talents of men long dead, Richard has won her heart.

Amid sudden and disastrous events, Richard's life is called due to satisfy those treacherous oaths. To save his life, Kahlan must forsake Richard's love and cast him into the chains of slavery, knowing there could be no sin worse than such a betrayal.

Richard is determined to unlock the secrets bound in the magic of ancient oaths and to again be free. Kahlan, alone with the terrible truth of what she has done, must set about altering the course of a world thrown into war. But even that may be easier than ever winning back the heart of the only man she will ever love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:42 -0400)

A fantasy adventure in which a woman warrior, the Mother Confessor, leads a rag tag force of young people against the army of an evil tyrant, waging a campaign of extermination. By the author of the Wizard's First Rule.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,875,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible