Phantom: Chainfire Trilogy, Part 2 (Sword of…

Phantom: Chainfire Trilogy, Part 2 (Sword of Truth, Book 10) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Terry Goodkind

Member:kappasigma
Title:Phantom: Chainfire Trilogy, Part 2 (Sword of Truth, Book 10)
Authors:Terry Goodkind
Info:Tor Fantasy (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 673 pages

Phantom by Terry Goodkind (2006)

Recently added byKDKat5, private library, Scott_Olson, kpevjen, Riptide, rainbowbrains, Balailey

English (23)  Italian (1)  All languages (24)
If you're looking for something along the lines of Mages vs. Sorcerers, some big battles and lots of action... look elsewhere.

I've heard a lot of things said about Terry Goodkind since I first began reading the Sword of Truth novels back in high school, both bad and good. Because of where my interests lay in fantasy, I kept on, because there was definitely something ELSE in Terry Goodkind's works that I couldn't find in other fantasy books that I'd read.

The world he developed is extensive and astounding, filled with rich detail. It gives your imagination plenty of room to play whether provided with stereotypical battle action, or more subtle, thought-out, philosophical action.

Phantom is chalk full of the latter. Richard is a thinker. If you've paid attention at all throughout the series, you would know this. Battle doesn't become him, and the actions he chooses in Phantom only enforce this. The last 3 books of the Sword of Truth are the epitome of Khalan's and Richard's personalities. Neither of them enjoy the fight - the do it only when they have to, when they feel there truly is no other option. It's a tactical measure to be used only when it has some real benefit.

It's been a long while since I read Chainfire, but I remember the general premise - which is what's important here. The Chainfire spell is the central motivating aspect behind everything that takes place in the last 3 books. Without it, this becomes little more than a typical, unimaginative high-action epic fantasy, to pull from the books themselves... "steel vs. steel, magic against magic."

Chainfire gives it something DIFFERENT.

I enjoy the almost philosophical twists and turns Goodkind uses to move the story forward. You may read through parts or introductions to people thinking, "Oh, another inconsequential brute" or "why does this even matter?" but Goodkind has thought ahead. He does not introduce events, people, or things without there being a Very. Good. Reason.

I'm going to reiterate here, because this is probably the most important part about whether or not you'll enjoy Phantom or not. If you're looking for a lot of in your face action, the last 3 books in the Sword of Truth are not for you. If you're into the subtleties, the actual MAGIC, and don't mind a plot being moved forward by getting an insight into characters minds, thoughts and deeds, then you'll thoroughly enjoy the Chainfire trilogy. ( )
  shammynix | Feb 8, 2014 |
Once again I love these characters and plot lines. I think the story is portrayed as very real while still being epic. This book I enjoyed but as many people there wasn’t much that happened. When that doesn’t happen Goodkind is great at giving us character development instead but there wasn’t much of that here either. It seems to be more of a transitionary book, the weak middle book between he really good first and third. The first is a favorite of mine and I remember the third being very good as well. These last books bring back the edge where someone with a weak stomach may have a hard time reading certain scenes. It’s been prevalent but in the first few books and these last books it is seen more often. People do cruel things to people and not much is held back in this rendition of life in the Midlands and Old World. I still enjoyed the book. My one recommendation is to not read the book when you are in a bad mood because it will cause that bad mood to plummet even further :) Other than that, I will always recommend this series to anyone. ( )
  Kassilem | Oct 22, 2012 |
I think this is the worst book in the series, and until The Pillars of Creation, I was rating these books at least four stars. I actually used to love this series. I'd give the first one, Wizard's First Rule five stars. No, not because it's an undying classic, or I don't see flaws, but it was a terrific read I just sprinted through madly turning pages--I didn't feel its hefty length. I liked the characters, in some cases loved them, and was fascinated by Goodkind's world and themes. That liking started dropping off after the seventh book for me (some point to the fifth as the book where it jumped the shark) but I didn't find these tedious until the book just before this one starts the "Chainfire Trilogy" that ends the "Sword of Truth" series. (Well, actually the Pillars of Creation before that dragged too.) The next and concluding book after this, Confessor doesn't quite redeem the series for me, but I'd still point to Phantom as the low point.

Why? Because as pointed out in review after review, NOTHING HAPPENS. Oh, there be word after word on the page, there's lots of people talking things to death. But advancement of plot? Character development? What is this you say? And like others, here is where I really, really got tired of the zillionth time Kahlan has to ward off rape. If you skipped to the last book, I don't think you'd miss anything. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Oct 17, 2012 |
The Sword of Truth series continues in this volume, picking up right where the previous book Chainfire ended. Kahlan remains unknown to most people and Richard is determined to find her, even if others have no memory of her. However, others, namely the witch woman Shota, urge Richard to lead the fight against the Imperial Order, which continues its brutal and relentless march into the New World. A great book and a great series, I can't wait to read the next volume! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jun 15, 2012 |
See review of Goodkind's "Wizards First Rule" for a review of the series. ( )
  tillywern | Apr 23, 2012 |

Goodkind, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Giugliano, Nellosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zij die hier zijn gekomen om te haten,
moeten nu vertrekken, want in hun haat
verraden ze slechts zichzelf.
- vertaal uit Het boek des levens
Those who have come here to hate should
leave now, for in their hatred they only betray
themselves.
-------------translated from The Book of Life
To Phil and Debra Pizzolato, and their kids, Joey, Nicolette, Philip, and Adriana, who constantly remind me of the value of life by bringing their love and laughter to mine
Kahlan stood quietly in the shadows, watching, as evil knocked softly on the door.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765344327, Mass Market Paperback)

Exclusive Video
Watch author Terry Goodkind discuss how his own morality and sense of good and evil shape the chararacters and action in his epic ten volume Sword of Truth series. 'Phantom' video Clip featuring Terry Goodkind Watch a video clip featuring author Terry Goodkind

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:51 -0400)

Richard desperately searches for his long-lost, amnesiac beloved, Kahlan Amnell, racing to find her before she can uncover the secrets of her lost identity, thereby making her vulnerable to evil.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,972,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible