The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth,…

The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, Book 7) (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Terry Goodkind

Title:The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, Book 7)
Authors:Terry Goodkind
Info:Tor Books (2002), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 736 pages

The Pillars of Creation by Terry Goodkind (2002)

Recently added byGhostoverlord, hollyberryholly, sherribelcher, TheGoldyns, private library, turbofletch

English (26)  Italian (1)  All languages (27)
This is my least favorite of all the books in this series. The main characters are just irritating and from what I understand, Terry makes a bit of a statement on America or the world at this time through this book. It's a bit preachy in a underhanded way.

Schlyne | Nov 12, 2015 |
With each new book in this series, I am worried that my interest will wane. However, I should know by now not to doubt the amazing Terry Goodkind. I am always most happily surprised that Goodkind can still engage the reader on such an intense level, time after time. Book seven focuses on two family members unknown to Richard, both of whom were viciously hunted by Darken Rahl. Jennsen's story is more central, and she unwittingly makes many mistakes as she determines to discover more about who she really is. Oba's story is utterly appalling; I can't say much for fear of spoilers. Eventually Richard and Kahlan meet them both at a place called The Pillars of Creation, and Jennsen is finally able to make a fresh start. ( )
  silva_44 | Oct 30, 2015 |
Where the hell were Richard and Kahlan throughout the majority of this book? Jensen is a pretty interesting character, but she was pretty much dropped after this and Naked Empire. It was an interesting tangent, seriously, but one I could do without. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Part of a 15 book (at present) series-- The Sword of Truth; but read very well as a stand alone novel. This is the first one that I've read and don't believe that I'll devout the time to reading the entire series -- good but not that great! Jennsen was the main character and very well developed -- as was Oba. Even though Oba was an evil character, for some reason I felt myself rooting for him for a good bit of the book. Once though he had knowledge of being 'invincible' I rather disliked him. Neat twist at the end, although could have developed a little more slowly than having the final confrontation where all becomes known. ( )
  skraft001 | Mar 17, 2015 |
The Pillars of Creation was not as good as I hoped it would be. However, it was still an interesting read and gives readers a new perspective.

What you need to know before reading this, so you don’t become disappointed as I did, is that this novel is written in a different perspective. If you understand this to begin with, then I don’t think you will have a problem with the book if you like the series. We finally get to follow the Order and read from their perspective. I thought this was interesting once I realized this was how the entire book is written. However, I believe switching between stories every couple of chapters is more engaging. That way we would be able to read from both perspectives and not spend so long on one or the other.

There are several new characters introduced in this book. Jennsen and Sebastian are the main ones you read about. There are also Althea and Frederick, as well as Oba. Later in the book, there is Tom who is a secondary character, but is more important than you realize. Eventually, you become pretty involved with the lives of these characters. I believe we read about these characters because they probably play more of a part later in the series and Goodkind wanted us to have a back story for them. I can tell you that I despise Oba, and I thought Jennsen wasn’t unintelligent, but that she doesn’t think about things as she should have, which bothered me.

The most annoying aspect of this book is that you don’t get to read about Richard or Kahlan until the last five chapters. After spending so much time with them in the previous books, I was pretty disappointed that I had to wait so long. It made me very anxious to get through all the other chapters, so I did not enjoy them as much as I should have.

The things that kept me going throughout the book are that I wanted to find out where the voices were coming from (I had a pretty good idea) and I wanted to know what a specific word and phrase meant that was repeated several times in the book in High D’Haran. I also wanted to know if specific characters would ever meet.

I really enjoyed the ending of the book. The last five chapters were very engaging, and I’m glad that certain things happened and others didn’t (no spoilers!).

The biggest problem I have with Goodkind’s writing is that he repeats himself way to much! The characters kept thinking the same things over and over again, which became rather annoying.

Also, I felt that the story could have been much shorter. There were parts of adventures and details that did not appear to be necessary. I could have enjoyed the story without them. Otherwise, I did enjoy the book, but it wasn’t what I had expected. ( )
  AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruitenberg, JosephineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the people in the United States Intelligence Community who, for decades, have valiantly fought to preserve life and liberty, while being ridiculed, condemned, demonized, and shackled by the jackals of evil.
Picking through the dead man's pockets, Jennsen Daggett came across the last thing in the world she would ever have expected to find.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765340747, Mass Market Paperback)

Seven books into his Sword of Truth series, author Terry Goodkind continues to expand and enlarge the fantasy realm D'Hara. But with the Pillars of Creation he takes a detour from his usual approach, leaving his primary protagonists in the background to spin a story of one woman's battle to discover the truth of her heritage.

Told in vivid and often gruesome detail, Goodkind's fable grabs the reader with a familiar archetypal theme: a young woman, Darken Rahl's illegitimate daughter Jennsen, flees her home in the wake of murderous forces rising from her lineage. She runs in the shadows of Lord Richard Rahl's domain with a spy sent by Emperor Jagang, the enemy of D'Hara. With his help, she journeys across the entire realm, chasing rumor and misinformation to ultimately discover the truth of her heritage.

Loyal readers, who know the truth that Jennsen seeks, may find this book tedious as they wonder when Lord Richard Rahl and Mother Confessor Kahlan are going to swoop in and save the day. But Goodkind appears to be challenging readers, and perhaps himself, to see the benevolent administration of Richard Rahl from its underside and from an opposition perspective. The change in perspective works up to a point. Goodkind has created a fast-paced adventure story that might be appreciated by diehard fans if they can leave their longing for the status quo at the door. --Jeremy Pugh

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:34 -0400)

Jennsen, the illegitimate daughter of Darken Rahl, flees her home into the shadows of Lord Richard Rahl's domain with a spy sent by Emperor Jagang, the enemy of D'Hara. Pursued by dark forces Jennsen searches for a sorceress she thinks holds the keys to her destiny.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,850,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible