The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth,…

The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, Book 7) (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Terry Goodkind

Member:kappasigma
Title:The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, Book 7)
Authors:Terry Goodkind
Info:Tor Books (2002), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 736 pages
Rating:*****

The Pillars of Creation by Terry Goodkind (2002)

English (22)  Italian (1)  All languages (23)
The Pillars of Creation was not as good as I hoped it would be. However, it was still an interesting read and gives readers a new perspective.

What you need to know before reading this, so you don’t become disappointed as I did, is that this novel is written in a different perspective. If you understand this to begin with, then I don’t think you will have a problem with the book if you like the series. We finally get to follow the Order and read from their perspective. I thought this was interesting once I realized this was how the entire book is written. However, I believe switching between stories every couple of chapters is more engaging. That way we would be able to read from both perspectives and not spend so long on one or the other.

There are several new characters introduced in this book. Jennsen and Sebastian are the main ones you read about. There are also Althea and Frederick, as well as Oba. Later in the book, there is Tom who is a secondary character, but is more important than you realize. Eventually, you become pretty involved with the lives of these characters. I believe we read about these characters because they probably play more of a part later in the series and Goodkind wanted us to have a back story for them. I can tell you that I despise Oba, and I thought Jennsen wasn’t unintelligent, but that she doesn’t think about things as she should have, which bothered me.

The most annoying aspect of this book is that you don’t get to read about Richard or Kahlan until the last five chapters. After spending so much time with them in the previous books, I was pretty disappointed that I had to wait so long. It made me very anxious to get through all the other chapters, so I did not enjoy them as much as I should have.

The things that kept me going throughout the book are that I wanted to find out where the voices were coming from (I had a pretty good idea) and I wanted to know what a specific word and phrase meant that was repeated several times in the book in High D’Haran. I also wanted to know if specific characters would ever meet.

I really enjoyed the ending of the book. The last five chapters were very engaging, and I’m glad that certain things happened and others didn’t (no spoilers!).

The biggest problem I have with Goodkind’s writing is that he repeats himself way to much! The characters kept thinking the same things over and over again, which became rather annoying.

Also, I felt that the story could have been much shorter. There were parts of adventures and details that did not appear to be necessary. I could have enjoyed the story without them. Otherwise, I did enjoy the book, but it wasn’t what I had expected. ( )
  AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |
I should have stopped this series after the last book. But, I was so involved with the well-developed characters by that time that I kept going. It continues to be preachy and annoying. For more details, see my other reviews.
Read more Terry Goodkind book reviews at Fantasy Literature . ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Vergeleken met de vorige delen uit de serie vond ik dit een veel minder boek. Richard Rahl/Cypher kwam eigenlijk maar amper voor in het verhaal. Verhaallijn was mi. heel dun. Kan door de vertaling komen.
  EdwinK | Dec 6, 2013 |
By the end of this book I wanted to strangle Jennsen and her goat. Truly. Jennsen who? Isn't this series about Richard and Kahlan? Not in this book, which isn't just an outlier in this series, it feels like filler. This is where I really felt Goodkind's clumsiness as a writer. What? You read six doorstopper tomes before this and didn't notice? Not really. Because I loved many of the characters, not just the two leads, but such secondary characters as Zedd, Nathan, Ann, Cara and Nicci, up to now I found myself glued to the page. Sure, I saw faults. Goodkind had become increasingly preachy, Richard increasingly Marty Stu, and the devices used to somehow keep Richard and Kahlan from consummating their love ridiculous. Some think the series had jumped the shark with the fifth book--or the sixth. Not me. Whatever their flaws I still found the books up to this one enjoyable and their doorstopper length wasn't felt by me. But this one? With all the characters I had grown to care about barely there until the end? Well, Jennsen really isn't enough to hold me for 736 pages. I rated the last book before this, Faith of the Fallen, four stars. This book gets one and a half stars. That's how much a fall off I felt in the quality of this book. The series doesn't so much decline as fall off a cliff--and it never recovered for me after that. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Oct 17, 2012 |
I didn't really like this one as much as the others in the series. This book is more of a filler, to get to know the other side of the war, and learn about pillars of creation, I guess. This one follows Jennsen Rahl and her attempt to rid Richard of the world. She mistakenly believes that Richard is out to get her so she wants to kill him first. In a side story, Oba Rahl is introduced. He's another son of Darken Rahl and is a total psycho.

There were some good moments, and I do like Jennsen. I guess I just wanted more of the main characters. I understand the point of the book though, we need to know what pillars of creation are so that the story can progress. Im thankful for that. Terry Goodkind could have easily skidded over the topic, but instead wrote a whole book about it.

Not my favorite in the series, but at least we get a new adorable character (Jennsen).
I still think it was a pretty good read though. ( )
  DeathsMistress | Sep 29, 2012 |

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruitenberg, JosephineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the people in the United States Intelligence Community who, for decades, have valiantly fought to preserve life and liberty, while being ridiculed, condemned, demonized, and shackled by the jackals of evil.
Picking through the dead man's pockets, Jennsen Daggett came across the last thing in the world she would ever have expected to find.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765340747, Mass Market Paperback)

Seven books into his Sword of Truth series, author Terry Goodkind continues to expand and enlarge the fantasy realm D'Hara. But with the Pillars of Creation he takes a detour from his usual approach, leaving his primary protagonists in the background to spin a story of one woman's battle to discover the truth of her heritage.

Told in vivid and often gruesome detail, Goodkind's fable grabs the reader with a familiar archetypal theme: a young woman, Darken Rahl's illegitimate daughter Jennsen, flees her home in the wake of murderous forces rising from her lineage. She runs in the shadows of Lord Richard Rahl's domain with a spy sent by Emperor Jagang, the enemy of D'Hara. With his help, she journeys across the entire realm, chasing rumor and misinformation to ultimately discover the truth of her heritage.

Loyal readers, who know the truth that Jennsen seeks, may find this book tedious as they wonder when Lord Richard Rahl and Mother Confessor Kahlan are going to swoop in and save the day. But Goodkind appears to be challenging readers, and perhaps himself, to see the benevolent administration of Richard Rahl from its underside and from an opposition perspective. The change in perspective works up to a point. Goodkind has created a fast-paced adventure story that might be appreciated by diehard fans if they can leave their longing for the status quo at the door. --Jeremy Pugh

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:39 -0400)

Jennsen, the illegitimate daughter of Darken Rahl, flees her home into the shadows of Lord Richard Rahl's domain with a spy sent by Emperor Jagang, the enemy of D'Hara. Pursued by dark forces Jennsen searches for a sorceress she thinks holds the keys to her destiny.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,966,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible