The Colour of Blood by Declan Hughes

The Colour of Blood

by Declan Hughes

placeholder12 ( )
  jrthebutlertest | Sep 23, 2015 |
This is the second in the Ed Loy series, following "The Wrong Kind of Blood". This is very close to a five star book, and by the next installment, Mr. Hughes moves into the five and a half star range. Declan Hughes never did seem to write a 'first' novel.. he jumped out of the gate writing better than 90% of his peers, and by his third novel he was in pretty rarified company. If you like mystery, noir mystery, with a lot of brutal action, that just happens to take place in Dublin instead of NYC or LA.. you're really going to like the Ed Loy series. Ed's boyhood pal, Tommy Owens, begins taking a larger role in this book. If you recall the old "Rockford Files" TV show and remember Angel.. you'll have a pretty good idea of Tommy's character, if you also picture him extremely dangerous! I almost always suggest reading a series in order, and do in this case also. ( )
  jastbrown | Feb 26, 2012 |
I have struggled through this book as much, if not more so, than I did with The Wrong Kind of Blood. Big disappointment after City of Lost Girls.

Mr. Hughes is working really hard at writing an Irish hardboiled detective novel, but this just doesn't work for me. The book sort of plods along with plenty of grim and depressing happenings and just not much going on that I care about. I don't care whodunit. I don't care why. I just want it to be over. ( )
  kraaivrouw | Jul 17, 2010 |
14 bodies by my count in the blody "The Color of Blood". and I may have missed 1 or 2.Ed Loy is a tough guy who takes a lot of punches. A lot of punches. He has no pretensions and tells it like it is.Once again he writes of current day murders linked to events of 30 years ago. But this is only his 2nd book and Hughes feels a bit out of control here. Definitely too many bodies, but too many characters as well, and there are characters linked to other characters all over the placeI tried to keep a diagram of all the relationships but by the end I couldn't read my own notes. But i'll keep reading this guy. ( )
  maneekuhi | Jul 6, 2010 |
Complicated and convoluted story of a family who have a lot of skeletons in their closet. Ed Loy gets involved when Emily, the daughter, is reported kidnapped and her father is sent photographs of her, naked.

As Ed uncovers the truth the bodies mount.

It's pretty evocative of the messy, complicated feuds that happen in Dublin these days. The body count is pretty high though and you'd have to wonder at the mess it makes of the lives left over. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 2, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060825502, Mass Market Paperback)

A reputable dentist from a venerable medical family, Shane Howard wants Loy to find his lost daughter after receiving a set of photographs featuring nineteen-year-old Emily in provocative poses. But a simple missing persons case rapidly devolves into something even more sordid and grisly when two of the players are savagely slain. And it's only the beginning.

The Howard family is not what it seems. Beneath a veneer of wealth and respectability is a dark history of corruption and rot and secrets best left unearthed. By entering the Howards' vicious circle, Loy may find himself stained with the most corrosive and lethal type of blood—the kind that even death cannot eradicate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:28 -0400)

"Still adjusting to being back on Irish soil, PI Ed Loy finds himself caught up in a deadly web of lies, betrayals and shrouded histories. Shane Howard, a respected dentist from the venerable Howard medical family of Dublin, asks Loy to search for his missing daughter. The only information available is a set of pictures portraying nineteen-year-old Emily in a series of very compromising positions." "Seems like a pretty easy case to Loy ... until people start dying. The very same day that Loy meets Howard, Emily's mother and ex-boyfriend are brutally stabbed to death. But that's only the beginning." "Loy discovers that the Howard family is not all that it seems. For years their name has stood for progress and improvement within Dublin's medical community, but that is only what's on the surface. The true legacy of the Howards is one of scandalous secrets, the type that are best left unearthed. Against his better judgment. Loy is drawn into the very center of the Howards' sordid family history, and what he finds could ruin more than reputations."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,753,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible