Kitty and the Silver Bullet by Carrie Vaughn

Kitty and the Silver Bullet

by Carrie Vaughn

Series: Kitty Norville (4)

English (55)  Dutch (1)  All (56)
It was nice to see Kitty go home in this and seeing a load of the characters from book one again. The plot was great but throughout the whole book I kept thinking the same thing; "you know what would be helpful round about now? Cormac!!" it's so frustrating that he can't help. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that Vaughn was realistic about the law and stuff but I miss him being able to come in and help out. Anyway, it was a good book, it had me gripped wondering what will happen next. It was nice to meet Kitty's family and it was nice to be back in Denver. Overall, I enjoyed it and can't wait to keep going with the series. On a finishing note; I think Charlie and Violet were awesome :) ( )
  WeeWeegieBookworm | Mar 24, 2018 |
Ever since her friend TJ was killed, Kitty has stayed far away from the abusive pack alphas in her home city. But a family emergency pulls Kitty back to Denver, where she has to confront the pack she left behind. Since she's been gone, it's gotten even more dysfunctional, and meanwhile the vampire Master of the city is increasing his demands of the wolves. One of Kitty's old friends asks for her help in breaking the Master's hold, but Kitty wants to stay out of the power struggle. But when the coup fails, Kitty realizes that she can't let the status quo keep deteriorating. With fewer allies and more to lose than ever before, Kitty makes a power play of her own.

This is one of the strongest books in the series, and one that kept my eyes glued to the page. Vaughn never gets lazy about characterization: every book, we understand Kitty a little better. I love the strategies she uses, effective ones seem like common sense but are rarely utilized in fiction. She talks to the pack, getting support and a feel for their opinions, before making grand speeches or a power play. When a submissive werewolf is in danger, she doesn't immediately start ripping throats out--she sets up a safe house (using the connections we've seen her make in the previous two books) and gets her a plane ticket. When she finds out a battle is going on, she tells the cops. They're not fully prepared for supernatural business, but at least this way law enforcement knows who to charge and how to protect themselves. She transforms into a small, not particularly strong wolf--and so instead of fighting with her claws, she starts learning how to use a gun and gets silver bullets. It was so refreshing to have a truly sensible heroine for once. Which is not to say she's overly analytical or passionless, but she's not constantly running into battle without backup or fore-thought. I also appreciated Vaughn's take on power. Heroes (including Kitty) are always going on about how they have to step up and take leadership because that's what The People Want. But much harder, I think, is to step down from power because that's what is wanted or needed. I've pretty much never seen a character relinquish power, particularly for selfless reasons, so to see it here, paired with Kitty having to accept power, was a great choice. The last few books have expanded our knowledge of the lycanthrope and human worlds, and given us a little taste of vampires. This one makes it clear how much is still mysterious, which just whetted my appetite for more. I can't wait to see what happens next! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Kitty and the Silver Bullet is the climax in the story arc about Kitty taking control of her life, moving from submissive to alpha. When she returns to Denver to help care for her mother, diagnosed with cancer, she has to decide if her previous alpha and vampire politics will force her to run again, or if she'll stay and fight for the life she wants.

Kitty is an interesting heroine. She's not your typical kick-ass urban fantasy protagonist. She's strong, but she can also be whiny, self-doubting, and conflict-avoiding. Several reviews I've read call her "weak" or a reluctant heroine, one that can drive some folks crazy with her waffling. In her blog, Vaughn describes Kitty as "a chatty idealist. She wants to think the best of everyone and everything, she believes it is possible to make the world a better place. And she talks. A lot."

In any case, I don't think there are a lot of heroines quite like Kitty in urban fantasy, which is maybe why Kitty comes off as being too weak for some folks. I've enjoyed her, though, and I'm happy that, in Silver Bullet, she finally decides what she wants, fights for it, and wins.

Purchased. Review courtesy of onebooktwo.com | one book, two reviews. ( )
  InvestedIvana | Feb 23, 2016 |
This is the 4th? I think? Installment of the Kitty Norville series. Kitty is a werewolf and also runs a radio show, The Midnight Hour, that caters to the paranormal folks of the world. Anyway, this installment was ok - some interesting things come to light, but overall it's kind of just a par for the course series novel. I liked it in that I didn't have to relearn a whole new universe and its rules and characters - but it didn't wow me with the story. Not predictable per se, just not surprising either. How's that for vague?! I will continue with the series, but I do prefer Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson series to this one. And it can't even really be compared to The Hollows by Kim Harrison. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Kitty did not pick the romantic path I thought she would. : ( I wanted something more challenging. After some thought I am glad the author didn't got that way. Kitty's life is enough of a challenge without adding that kind of needy complication. Ben, he is a doll, sweet, kind, considerate, not the normal kind of guy for a UF heroine. I saw the doldrums setting in for this series. I was wrong. The way they where thrown together has a new dimension to explore that I enjoyed 'watching' as they connected their bonds. i saw them not just as lovers but pack mates, friends and outcasts in much of society. They fight, talk, listen, love and survive together. I like them as a team. (I still have a glimmer of hope for the other guy)

Kitty has to go home. Her mother is not well and she must risk her and Ben's life to be there for Mom. (He insists on be going with her) The pack that she left will kill her if they find her in their territory. They try to slip under the radar but fate will not allow it. Things are unsettled, the vampires and the werewolves are in a dangerous state. Kitty and Ben get tangled up in the mess and death will happen. Nothing is ever easy in Kitty's world. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puckey,DonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For My Family
I hated the smell of this place: concrete and institutional.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446618756, Mass Market Paperback)

Kitty's radio show is as popular as ever and she has a boyfriend who actually seems to understand her. Can she finally settle down to a normal life? Not if this is just the calm before the storm. When her mother falls ill, Kitty rushes back to Denver--and right back to the abusive pack of werewolves she escaped a year ago. To make matters worse, a war is brewing between the city's two oldest vampires, threatening the whole supernatural community. Though she wants to stay neutral, Kitty is again drawn into a world of politics and violence. To protect her family, her lover, and herself, she'll have to choose sides. And maybe become what she hates--a killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:01 -0400)

When her mother falls ill, Kitty, a radio host, returns to Denver and once again finds herself in the middle of the abusive pack of werewolves from whom she escaped a year earlier, a situation complicated by a war brewing between the city's two oldest vampires.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,495,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible