Tekkon Kinkreet Omnibus by Taiyō Matsumoto

Tekkon Kinkreet Omnibus

by Taiyō Matsumoto

193661,059 (4.3)3

This is one of those comics that makes me want to down-grade my ratings on all the other books in my LibraryThing catalogue so that my 5 star rating seems more of a roar of approval. This is a brilliant and amazing comic! ( )
  EnidaV | Jun 6, 2015 |
This is a great story of 2 kids in Treasure town, who are defending the city from the encroaching mob gang. It is a journey of discover, finding out what is important in life and in belief. I would read this before watching the movie. ( )
  ExpatTX | Mar 31, 2014 |
I can't remember why I picked this up, I might've read something about it in passing, but I'm so glad that I found it. I didn't know how much I needed Tekkonkinkreet in my life until I started reading it. The story is phenomenal, the landscape Matusmoto created is truly fantastic and the characters he brings to life are surprisingly easy to fall in love with (or hate, depending). The book is about two young boys who fight gangsters to protect their city (Treasure Town), but, in reality the book is so much more than that. It's about love, friendship and coming of age. And while the book made me cry a little at the end, it was worth it -- I enjoyed every single second of this book. I will need to own a copy of this one day. ( )
  callmecayce | Aug 8, 2013 |
Tekkon Kinkreet is an outstanding manga, even more compelling and entertaining than the (also excellent) film that was derived from it. Taiyo Matsumoto delivers a sprawling, ambitious, and endlessly intriguing comic that has a wild and beautiful visual style that is second-to-none. While many manga that I have previously read seem formulaic and not particularly original, Tekkon Kinkreet is quite the opposite. Matsumoto is a boldly creative artist who has broken away from the norms of his medium and delivered a work that successfully explores difficult subject matter, as his two protagonists wrestle with the numbing effects of their bleak urban surroundings. My only reservation about this work is the somewhat cliched set of "bad guys" that Black and White encounter in their adventures, but this minor distraction of generic gangsterism doesn't significantly ruin the overall work - on just about any level, Tekkon Kinkreet is a genuine classic of comics art. ( )
  dr_zirk | Feb 15, 2010 |
One of my favourite manga. The art is bold and distinctive, almost defiant, and the plot direct and engaging. A great re-exploration of the ancient balance of black and white, set against the backdrop of a fantastically imagined city. ( )
  milkyfangs | Nov 23, 2009 |
Unapologetically weird, violent and sweetly sentimental about cities, Tekkonkinkreet is a valentine to cities everywhere, the biggest machines humans have built, ever on the verge of collapse, magnificent even so.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Aug 19, 2008)

Black and White, two orphans who roam the streets of Treasure Town, beat down any thug or yakuza who threaten their home.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,158,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible