The Resistance by K. A. Applegate

The Resistance

by K. A. Applegate

197359,709 (3.6)1

The Resistance was an interesting experiment, though I think it will divide readers. The story is really split in two, with chapters detailing the Animorphs and free Hork Bajir fighting to protect the valley with excerpts from a journal written by one of Jake's ancestors - a lieutenant in the American Civil War. Naturally, both events do share similarities - from the importance of overcoming prejudice and seeing things through the eyes of another race, to the small band of rebels defending a settlement from a much larger force.

However, the result was a little weak. Due to the length of the novel, there wasn't really enough space to flesh out either story. There were also a few continuity errors within the story. The previous volume (possibility erroneously) showed that the Animorphs were able to communicate in thought speak while in human form, while this volume specified that they could only do this within a morph.

The core scene in which Jake was forced to reveal the morphing power to a group of campers was also brushed aside a little too quickly, especially taking no time to reflect on the loss that this group suffers due to their involvement in the climax. I really felt that there should have been more to this, as this is the first time outside of the heat of battle that Jake has even contemplated doing something so risky after over forty volumes of stressing that the Animorphs "can't tell you who they really are".

All in all, it's not one of the best books but it was interestingly different and had a pretty poignant ending. I'm curious to see where Jake's character arc will go from here. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jan 8, 2018 |
It trades back and forth from Jake and his Great-great uncle Lieutenant Isaiah Fitzheny

The Yeerks are going to come after the free Hork-Bajir. Jake urges the Hork-Bajir to flee, but they decide that they want to stay and fight for their home despite seemingly impossible odds.

Lieutenant Isaiah Fitzheny is with his group of Union soldiers. They find themselves self cut of surrounded by Confederates. There is a group of free Black's who offer to fight with them. Most of the soldiers and the townspeople don't want their help.

I loved the diaries last entry:

"I fear I am killed. I hope I have done my best. I hope..." ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 21, 2017 |
A short comment for every book of the series until I get a chance to re-read them. All three of my sons and I loved this series and read every single book - I even bought every single book (most, but not all, used; some through school book sales). I'm excited to re-read them to see how the five main characters develop and to watch all the different transformations again. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The author wishes to thank Ellen Geroux for her help in preparing this manuscript.
For Michael and Jake
My name is Jake.

The Animorphs have a difficult decision to make: do they continue to fight the yeerks in secret of is it time to let everyone know there is a resistance?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,332,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible