The Ultimate by K. A. Applegate

The Ultimate

by K. A. Applegate

201358,418 (3.74)None

I have some real mixed feelings about this instalment of the series, but possibly not for the reasons that you might think.

Animorphs has had some ethical grey areas before but this book contains the biggest one of them all. The team is massively expanded, creating a morph-capable army to combat the Yeerks, but the new recruits are all children with disabilities. This is immediately horrific. While you can see Jake's logic in the formation of the auxiliary animorphs, it's a decision made out of desperation and is designed to make the reader question if he has gone too far.

The ending of the story is also both game changing and enters an ethical grey area, one that will make readers either love or hate Cassie. While her decision feels very natural on a personal level for her, it seems like a stupid choice based on the situation. Why risk humanity for one person? I suppose only time will tell if she truly made the right choice.

The story also fractures the team, yet this feels a little bit sudden. While the previous book was game changing, the Animorphs have now gone for each other's throats remarkably fast. Even some of the adult characters, such as Rachel's mother, seem to have had a bit of a change of heart over a very short time. While, again, this is understandable to a degree, I did feel like a little more build up was needed. Other than Jake, who has been steadily losing it for a while, the others seem to have broken quite quickly.

However, my biggest issue was the lack of plot. There isn't really anything to this book other than the ethics. Other than one fight against Visser One, in which the new team show off some frankly baffling battle morphs, it's largely a book of conversations and ethics and so is driven more by its shock value than any decent plotting. However, it is a very important book due to the addition of more morph-capable humans and the characterisation that it gives to both Cassie and Jake.

I'm really looking forward to seeing where this plot is heading next. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | May 30, 2018 |
The war is heating up. The Animorphs' families are in hiding. Jake is cracking under the pressure. They decide to recruit more kids. Cliff hanging ending to a rather dark story. ( )
  nx74defiant | Feb 1, 2017 |
A short comment for every book of the series until I get a chance to re-read them. All three of my sons and I loved this series and read every single book - I even bought every single book (most, but not all, used; some through school book sales). I'm excited to re-read them to see how the five main characters develop and to watch all the different transformations again. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Tsseeeewww!

The Animorphs have hit a wall. Jake is depressed and sapped of confidence. They¹re living in isolation in the free Hork-Bajir colony with no means of stepping up the resistance. The time has come for the ultimate risk.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:49 -0400)

The war between the Yeerks and the Animorphs is full on, and it's definitely going to get worse.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,405,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible