The Flu by Jacqueline Druga

Okay thriller but the field of public health preparedness was certainly not nvestigated in her research. Several loose ends not addressed.

Immersion reading was entertainering. ( )
  nospi | Feb 7, 2016 |
This was quite a good book. Kept my attention the entire time. A story about "the flu", rather, the bubonic plague and how it affects a small town, Lodi, Ohio in particular. Mick is the chief of Police, but doesn't quite look the type. Dylan was his high school sweetheart who married Sam, one of Mick's good friends.

We learn about how the plague was started, who Lars is, and also get to follow two FBI agents looking for a fugitive. All the stories finally come together in an ending I was not expecting. Yet, the ending made sense.

I got this book during a free offering. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys suspense. ( )
  Sirsangel | Jan 17, 2015 |
My full The Flu audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

What I think is a man made virus, kept in cold storage in Alaska. Away from populations so it can be studied without worry of infecting the masses. As so often happens when a story stars off this way, the virus gets out and infects the entire continent faster than anyone thought possible. Then we are introduced to a cast of characters in Lodi, Ohio of all places. I found it very strange as to why we were concerned with the population of such a small and unassuming town. It isn’t until the second part of the book that I was able to understand why the town of Lodi, Ohio is even relevant. Full of interesting characters that are developed very well. I would even say there were too many characters to keep track of. I think it was strange that there were several distracting sex scenes that added nothing to plot. I found nothing ground breaking for terribly unique to the story. Slow to develop without a real climax, but overall good plague apocalypse adventure. A realistic insight into human nature and our will to survive and overcome anything. However I will be giving the second book a try.

Audiobook provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Apr 9, 2014 |
This book goes in a number of directions, only 2 of them finished. If you're here for the pandemic/influenza book, you're going to be sorely disappointed. It sucks. The author apparently doesn't know the difference between bacteria and viruses. The entire book is written as if Influenza is bacterial in origin.

The other aspect of this book that is complete is the love story between Mick and Dylan. That story is well told and as long as you're not too analytical the romance between these two characters is endearing. Of course if you look beyond the surface, these two, especially Dylan, can barely function in society. I don't know why the author chose to make them so codependent, but it does make for an interesting story.

This is a good read for anyone interested in the love story aspect and not very analytical.

Lots of people die, even main characters---so don't get too attached.
  dketelsen | Oct 9, 2012 |
I purchased The Flu thinking it would be an OK read. A filler if you like, something easy to read on my daily commute. But I was wrong - very wrong!

The Flu immediately plunges you into the story with characters that are incredibly likeable and not the usual infallible types that dominate the PA genre. They are normal people with normal lives, and have the same feelings and fears that you could image having yourself in such situations.

The story is free-flowing and addictive, easily understandable and not bogged down by the scientific explanations that can make such novels a bit of a chore in places. I read these type of novels for fun, not an education, and The Flu has a big tick in that box.

Now, I do have to mention the errors, both spelling and grammatical in this book. But in the end, I didn't care - the story is good, the characters are great and for me, these issues did not distract me from the positive things. ( )
  katlb82 | Jan 27, 2012 |

Throughout history there have been several thousand different strains of influenza. Each year hundreds are active. Chances are, this year, you will catch one of those strains. You will cough, sneeze, and your body will ache. Without a second thought, you'll take a double dose of green liquid, go to bed, and swear you'll feel better in the morning. Not this time. In 1918 forty-million people succumbed to a particular strain of swine flu. It appeared out of nowhere, and just as quickly as it surfaced, the Spanish Flu vanished. Gone for good. Or so we thought. Though mankind has anticipated its resurfacing for some time, mankind is ill prepared. Mutated and with a vengeance, the Spanish Flu returns. In a world blackened with plague, a glimmer of light exists in the small town of Lodi, Ohio. They shine as a sanctuary because they ... are 'flu-free' In the wake of the reality that they are spared, the spirit and strength of Lodi is tested. It becomes a fight against what is morally right or wrong in an increasingly difficult battle to stay healthy and alive until the flu has run its course.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible