Fleet of Worlds by Larry Niven

Fleet of Worlds

by Larry Niven, Edward M. Lerner (Author)

Series: Known Space (Prequel 1), Fleet of Worlds (1)

Recently added byprivate library, astraplain, cragland, alekojlime, depatty, r.orrison, KCV, obsidianvil, DericPoulin

This is another science fiction novel set in Known Space. It takes place in a fleet of Puppeteer worlds, this novel delves deeper into the Puppeteer society and psychology than any previous novel, at least that I've read.

The story involves a small band of Humans among the Puppeteers who take on the risky tasks that the Puppeteers shun. They uncover a dark secret that the Puppeteers have kept, and wonder where that information will lead.

Although the story is interesting, it has a different feel from the other stories set in Known Space. It is darker. It shows a darker side of Puppeteer involvement in Human affairs, although this has been suggested, it is now part of the story.

Some of the characters seemed poorly developed. A relationship developed between two main Humans, Kirsten and Omar. Although Kirsten had rebuffed Omar's advances, there wasn't an adequate explanation of her change of heart. Other than that, there wasn't really any character development. There were social changes at the end of the story, but the characters didn't seem to change.

Although I did enjoy the story, I feel that the character flaws will keep me from recommending it. There isn't much character development in Niven's stories in general, and the stories are good. Perhaps the co-author introduced them, but they are inadequate and I feel they detract from the story due to their inadequacy. ( )
  Nodosaurus | Nov 15, 2014 |
Entertaining story line. Imaginative but yet logical alien worlds. Not predictable. I strongly recommend the book. ( )
  GlennBell | Jun 22, 2013 |
Science Fiction,Co-author
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
This gets four stars from me, but if fractional stars were possible I'd have given it a 3.8.

Larry Niven's Fleet of Worlds is a welcome reversion to Niven's better writing style. His work had become rather weak in the past ten to fifteen years; it seemed that like so many writers, age was robbing him of his abilities and voice.

His many co-authors didn't help, either. Most of them weren't that good, and they brought him down. At his best, Niven used beautifully clear, diamond-like prose to convey startling hard-science concepts and speculation; his fantasy was equally clever and imaginative.

Compared to his best works, his many recent novels plodded. They were better than a lot of the crap that's coming out under the SF label lately, but they were disappointing nonetheless.

While Fleet of Worlds doesn't attain the heights of Niven's best work, it is a quite respectable book and definitely worthy of Niven's literary legacy. It ties in to plot elements from previous Known Space stories without exploiting or ruining those stories, and without being annoying. All in all, it works. I haven't heard of the co-author, Edward M. Lerner, before, but so far I'd rate him the best co-author Niven has worked with. Although some of his work with Pournelle was also quite good.

I'll definitely read this one again, and will probably buy it when I get the chance. ( )
  PMaranci | Apr 3, 2013 |
I read "Ringworld" a few weeks ago. Librarything referred to it as a classic science fiction novel. I figured there would be sequels even before starting the book. I was surprised to see the author wrote several pre-quels too. I think capitalism is great. I thought Ringworld was better for it's funny dialog, however I thought its plot wasn't strong. This book had a great plot, but I missed the humorous exchanges that did not appear. ( )
  mainrun | Nov 12, 2011 |

Niven, LarryAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lerner, Edward M.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Martiniere,StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Long Pass crossed the sky in a series of shallow curves, because Diego MacMillan willed it so.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765357836, Mass Market Paperback)

Humanity has been faithfully serving the Citizens for years, and Kirsten Quinn-Kovacks is among the best and the brightest of the humans. She gratefully serves the race that rescued her ancestors from a dying starship, gave them a home world, and nurtures them still.  If only the Citizens knew where Kirsten’s people came from.

A chain reaction of supernovae at the galaxy’s core unleashes a wave of lethal radiation that will sterilize the galaxy.  The Citizens flee, taking their planets, the Fleet of Worlds, with them.

Someone must scout ahead, and Kirsten and her crew eagerly volunteer.  Under the guiding eye of Nessus, their Citizen mentor, they explore for any possible dangers in the Fleet’s path—and uncover long-hidden truths that will shake the foundations of worlds.

Fleet of Worlds marks Larry Niven's first novel-length collaboration within his Known Space universe, the playground he created for his bestselling Ringworld series. Teaming up with fellow SF writer Edward M. Lerner, Fleet of Worlds takes a closer look at the Human-Puppeteer (Citizens) relations and the events leading up to Niven's first Ringworld novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:08 -0400)

When a chain reaction of supernovae explosions at the core of the galaxy unleashes a deadly wave of radiation that will sterilize the entire galaxy, the Citizens--accompanied by Kirsten Quinn-Kovacs, a descendant of human survivors--flee into the unknown.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,057,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible