Wilt by Tom Sharpe

Wilt (1976)

by Tom Sharpe

Series: Wilt (1)

English (10)  French (5)  Spanish (4)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
Such hilarity! Tom Sharpe comedy capers are brilliant. The TV film adaption starring Griff Rhys Jones and Mel Smith had me in fits. The film did the book justice. 👍🐯

The vision of a naked Griff tied to a blow up sex doll! Uugh! ( )
  nicademus7 | Dec 21, 2017 |
Wilt - Tom Sharpe ***

I remember years ago my parents both reading Wilt and enjoying it, and then there came the film with Mel Smith and Griff Rhys Jones which I can vaguely remember watching (even though I probably shouldn’t have). I had heard of Tom Sharpe but never picked any of his books up. I was aware that Wilt was part of a series so thought I would start at the beginning...

Henry Wilt is a polytechnic tutor who has been stuck in the same job and at the same level for a number of years. At home he has domineering wife, Eva, who befriends an American couple and becomes drawn into their hippyish way of life. After an incident involving a blow-up doll at a party, Eva goes off on a boat trip with her new friends, leaving Wilt at home with only the doll for company. Normally a quiet sort of chap he now begins to imagine how his life would be without her, and using the doll as a makeshift Eva on which to practice his plans, one night he disposes of the sex toy in a sort of trial run. Unfortunately for him things don’t go as smoothly as he would have liked, and soon he attracts the attention of the local constabulary.

This has to be one of those books where I need to hold my hands up in the air and say the reason I didn’t like it that much was probably me. I have heard and read so many positive things about Wilt that there can’t really be any other explanation. I just didn’t find it all that funny. Yes, it was well written and yes, it had an inventive and original plot, but did it do the job I bought it for and make me laugh? Nope. Not even a stifled giggle. Ah well, better luck next time. ( )
  Bridgey | Mar 24, 2017 |
Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
Henry Wilt, tied to a daft job and a domineering wife, has just been passed over for promotion yet again. Ahead of him at the Polytechnic stretch years of trying to thump literature into the heads of plasterers, joiners, butchers and the like. And things are no better at home where his massive wife, Eva, is given to boundless and unpredictable fits of enthusiasm -for transcendental meditation, yoga or the trampoline. But if Wilt can do nothing about his job, he can do something about his wife, in imagination at least, and his fantasies grow daily more murderous and more concrete. After a peculiarly nasty experience at a party thrown by particularly nasty Americans, Wilt finds himself in several embarrassing positions: Eva stalks out in stratospheric dudgeon, and Wilt, under the inspiration of gin, puts one of his more vindictive fantasies into effect. But suspicions are instantly aroused and Wilt rapidly achieves an unenviable notoriety in the role of The Man Helping Police With Their Enquiries. Or is he exactly helping? Wilt's problem -although he's on the other side of the fence -is the same as Inspector Flint's: where is Eva Wilt? But Wilt begins to flourish in the heat of the investigation, and as the police stoke the flames of circumstantial evidence, Wilt deploys all his powers to show that the Law can't tell a Missing Person from a hole in the ground.
1 vote Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Ein Klassiker der englischen humoristischen Literatur, den ich Jahre nach dem Ansehen der gelungenen Verfilmung endlich von meiner To-Do-Leseliste streichen konnte. 35 Jahren nach seinem Erscheinen wirkt Sharpes Humor vielleicht nicht mehr ganz so anarchisch und bis auf die berühmte Puppen"sex"szene brachte mich seine Schilderung von Henry Wilts aussichtslos erscheinende Odysee mehr zum schmunzeln als zum brüllenden Lachen. Wie Sharpe jedoch seine hoffnungslosen Zuspitzungen und unzähligen Slapstick-Szenen mit dem "Grauen" des englischen Alltags eines Berufschullehrers in der Sinnkrise verbindet, ist meisterlich und nach wie vor sehr amüsant. Diesen Roman im englischen Original zu lesen war ein Vergnügen. ( )
2 vote David_Cappel | Aug 22, 2012 |

Tom Sharpeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Buddingh', WiebeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wenn Henry Wilt den Hund zu einem Spaziergang ausführte, oder richtiger, wenn der Hund ihn ausführte, oder um genauer zu sein, wenn Mrs. Wilt beiden sagte, sie sollten bloß sehen, dass sie aus dem Hause kämen, damit sie ihre Yogaübungen machen konnte, schlug er stets denselben Weg ein.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0330253603, Mass Market Paperback)

This story of Henry Wilt, the Polytechnic lecturer who gets into all sorts of trouble is written by the author of "Riotous Assembly", "Blot on the Landscape" and "Wilt Alternative".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

Wilt is given to elaborate and vindictive fantasies about his wife, the massive, domineering Eva. But when Eva becomes a Missing Person, following an embarrassing incident at a party they both attend, the police want to question Wilt.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,029,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible