What We Had: A Memoir by James Chace

What We Had: A Memoir

by James Chace

3893. What We Had A Memoir, by James Chace (read 27 May 2004) Because I so appreciated the author's fine biography of Dean Acheson (read 20 July 1999) I decided to read this slight book, boyhood memoirs often being found by me to be good reading. But this is confusingly put together, and portrays his mother as a drunk and says bad things about his brother. I did not find the book a success. Not nearly as good as such boyhood memoirs as Jimmy Carter's An Hour Before Daylight (read 11 Mar 2001) or Tom Brokaw's A Long Way from Home (read 18 Jan 2003) or Bruce Catton's Waiting for the Morning Train (read 13 Apr 2003). ( )
  Schmerguls | Nov 5, 2007 |
I found out about the author in 2004 when his obituary appeared in the NY review of Books. It was wll worth tracking down at the library. Interesting cast of family characters lots of pathology, yet a certain underlying poignancy. ( )
  MacsTomes | Apr 14, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,497,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible