T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton

T is for Trespass

by Sue Grafton (Author)

Series: The Alphabet Mysteries (20)

English (70)  Dutch (4)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (76)
Shifting from the voice of Kinsey Millhone to that of Solana Rojas, a chilling sociopath who stole the identity of another person, author Sue Grafton takes us into a far darker territory than she has ever gone, leaving us with a true sense of the horror of the ordinary world we THINK we know. Consistently enjoyable, I look forward to each of these novels, and Ms Grafton has not let me down yet. Her sense of detail, which in most books I skip over, leaves me breathless for the next circumstance or paragraph. "Where is she going with this?" and I keep reading, until the wee hours of the morning.

Solano was applying for an elderly private-duty job and even though it was difficult to get information on recommendations Kinsey was able to Interview someone who had worked with her. Solana was then hired to take care of Kinsey's friends's father Gus. and the horror began as she started making him completely dependent on her. Gus lay immobilized and this gave Solona an opportunity to search for his bank passbooks , jewelry and other valuables. Not to give the plot away, but this novel will have you checking on your elderly parents and those who you have entrusted to take care of them.

As with all of Sue Graftons' books, I heartily recommend this book for your reading pleasure. ( )
  bakersfieldbarbara | Jun 17, 2014 |
Once again Sue Grafton has changed up the technique she uses to tell the story in T is for Trespass. In this book, we get to see the action from the POV of the bad guy (gal, in this case) as well as from Kinsey's. It's an interesting idea that gives us some background we wouldn't have gotten from Kinsey alone.

This book is definitely not a murder mystery. It has two plot lines. One involves an accident that Kinsey is investigating and the eyewitness who is extremely reluctant to come forward. The other involves an elderly neighbor who is in need of some nursing help in his home after taking a fall. Neither of these sounds like the stuff of a page-turning book but one of them is.

I wasn't sure until I was done with this book whether I even liked it or not. It was so out of character for Kinsey. But the part that made me unsure of what I thought was that it kept me on edge the whole time I was reading it. I was nervous for the safety of the characters in the story and my sense of unease grew the longer I read. This book was making me sweat! I felt as if I had to get to the end to protect everyone. As I said, nothing relaxing here! I realized when I finished, that Sue Grafton's masterful use of words reminded me of the way Stephen King can manipulate my thoughts and emotions. When a person can use words that well, I have to give it 5 stars. ( )
  Mrsbaty | Jan 15, 2014 |
  cmakny | Aug 14, 2013 |
Anoth Fab book by Grafton. Waiting to see what "U" will bring ( )
  JanetArmentani | Jul 25, 2013 |

Mrsbaty | Jun 13, 2013 |
Kinsey Millhone’s 20th case, which pits her against a creepy pair of abusers ... is one of her finest. ... Each of Kinsey’s cases stretches the private-eye formula in new ways. [T for Trespass], which reads like vintage Ruth Rendell, will bring shivers to every reader ...
added by Roycrofter | editKirkus' Reviews (Sep 15, 2007)

Grafton, SueAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elizabeth Gastiger, Keven Frantz, and Barbara Toohey, with admiration and affection
Prologue: I don't want to think about the predators of this world.

tres¥pass \'trespes\ n: a transgression of law involving one's obligations to God or to one's neighbor; a violation of moral law; an offense; a sin
-Webster's New International Dictionary, Second Edition, Unabridged

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:02 -0400)

trespass \'trespes\ n: a transgression of law involving one's obligations to God or to one's neighbor; a violation of moral law; an offense; a sin -Webster's New International Dictionary, Second Edition, Unabridged In what may be her most unsettling novel to date, Sue Grafton's T is for Trespass is also her most direct confrontation with the forces of evil. Beginning slowly with the day-to-day life of a private eye, Grafton suddenly shifts from the voice of Kinsey Millhone to that of Solana Rojas, introducing readers to a chilling sociopath. Rojas is not her birth name. It is an identity she cunningly stole, an identity that gives her access to private caregiving jobs. The true horror of the novel builds with excruciating tension as the reader foresees the awfulness that lies ahead. The suspense lies in whether Millhone will realize what is happening in time to intervene. Though set in the late eighties, T is for Trespass could not be more topical: identity theft; elder abuse; betrayal of trust; the breakdown in the institutions charged with caring for the weak and the dependent. It reveals a terrifying but all-too-real rip in the social fabric. Once again, Grafton opens up new territory with startling results.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,503,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible