T Is For Trespass by Sue Grafton

T Is For Trespass

by Sue Grafton

English (81)  Dutch (4)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (87)
i thought perhaps I'd gotten a little tired of Kinsey's "stuck in the 80's" life but this book made me a fan once again. Excellent, with a timely subject matter of identity theft and elder abuse. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
I'd like to give this more than two stars actually. This was one of Grafton's better plot lines. The character dynamics were interesting, it had intense moments, and plenty of funny parts where Millhone's sarcasm and introspection seemed humorous rather than bitchy. The ending was kind of puttering but still unique and overall I'd say I liked the novel.

However, I can't really deal with how lightly Millhone as a character and Grafton as the writer and as someone who should have at least a minimal understanding of the weight of pedophilia in our society, portrayed a pedophile and interactions with said pedophile. Millhone's an ex cop, has plenty of cop connections as a PI, and yet she doesn't report the whereabouts of a known sex offender to anyone or that he's in violation by living smack in the midst of a school zone and daycare centers. Other than a civil conversation about the fact that he should have registered upon moving in which she gives him much more credit and respect than I could personally stomach, the issue is seemingly nil in her book. Though she makes a half-assed drive around the school zone and daycares in the area where this offender was last living thinking about all the offenders whose whereabouts aren't known to anyone...ooookay. Because that makes sense. Let's philosophize about your recently amped up knowledge of the situation instead of you actually doing anything to protect the kids your driving past, if not as an ex-cop who once swore an oath to protect than at least as a decent individual.

Yeah, it's a character in a book but it's a continuously weakly written one and throughout the series I've seriously struggled to see what the big fan base of Millhone novels sees in their favored heroine. I enjoy a flawed character, even a flawed heroine- there aren't many modern fiction novel readers who don't in some aspect. The moments of clumsiness, social awkwardness, and flat out idiocy can be quite human and endearing. But sometimes it's refreshing to see a character do the right thing in the right kind of circumstances.

I don't know, it just tainted what was actually one of the best Alphabet Novels I've read to date. Which was a big disappointment. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
Great series! I love Kinsey and escpecially like that the series is set in the 80s I believe before cell phones, computers, email etc. I only wish Grafton would release more often. We always have to wait forever for the next release. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Without a doubt, this is my favorite Kinsey Millhone read so far. The story starts out with a rather mundane shadowing of Kinsey as she engages in the more routine aspects of her day-to-day detective work – serving papers on a deadbeat dad, conducting a background check and working on a car accident insurance case. Even the neighbourly assistance of contacting Gus’ relative and convincing her to come out the California to see to Gus gives the impression of a bit of a ho-hum read. Nothing could be further from the truth. Grafton does a fantastic job mapping out a case of identity theft and a shocking tale of elder abuse. Unlike previous Kinsey Millhone stories, the focus is not on a mystery to solve, although the details regarding accounts of the insurance case could qualify as the mystery in this story. The reader is informed upfront about the identity theft. The story is more an escalating battle of wits as Kinsey finds herself up against an advisory who is devious, cunning and a master manipulator who knows just how to turn the tables when she thinks someone is on to her. The character profile of Solana is amazing in its detail. Following on the heels of [S is for Silence], Grafton makes use of two narrators, Kinsey and Solana, to enable Grafton to present to the reader the inner workings of Solana’s mind. let me tell you, that is one disturbing woman! The topic of a caregiver preying on the individual they have been hired to care for was a deeply disturbing topic for me and part of the reason why I found this to be such a “page-turning” audioread. The details of how Solana infiltrates a person life and sequesters them from any outside contact is very disturbing. As with the previous books in the series, Grafton’s skill at ratcheting up the tension/ suspense is evident. ( )
  lkernagh | Aug 21, 2016 |
I'm not sure why, but I didn't like this one as much as the last few. Maybe because the thought of people targeting old folks to rob them blind just makes me so mad. Anyway, in this one Kinsey meets her match in the 'nurse' who is hired to take care of her neighbor after he fell. The nurse is an old hand at this, and before she knows it, Kinsey is on the defensive, trying to keep her name out of the dirt, as the woman tries to discredit Kinsey before Kinsey can get proof of any illegal dealings. ( )
  readafew | Jun 13, 2016 |
Kinsey Millhone’s 20th case, which pits her against a creepy pair of abusers ... is one of her finest. ... Each of Kinsey’s cases stretches the private-eye formula in new ways. [T for Trespass], which reads like vintage Ruth Rendell, will bring shivers to every reader ...
added by Roycrofter | editKirkus' Reviews (Sep 15, 2007)

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elizabeth Gastiger, Keven Frantz, and Barbara Toohey, with admiration and affection
Prologue: I don't want to think about the predators of this world.

tres¥pass \'trespes\ n: a transgression of law involving one's obligations to God or to one's neighbor; a violation of moral law; an offense; a sin
-Webster's New International Dictionary, Second Edition, Unabridged

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:03 -0400)

trespass \'trespes\ n: a transgression of law involving one's obligations to God or to one's neighbor; a violation of moral law; an offense; a sin -Webster's New International Dictionary, Second Edition, Unabridged In what may be her most unsettling novel to date, Sue Grafton's T is for Trespass is also her most direct confrontation with the forces of evil. Beginning slowly with the day-to-day life of a private eye, Grafton suddenly shifts from the voice of Kinsey Millhone to that of Solana Rojas, introducing readers to a chilling sociopath. Rojas is not her birth name. It is an identity she cunningly stole, an identity that gives her access to private caregiving jobs. The true horror of the novel builds with excruciating tension as the reader foresees the awfulness that lies ahead. The suspense lies in whether Millhone will realize what is happening in time to intervene. Though set in the late eighties, T is for Trespass could not be more topical: identity theft; elder abuse; betrayal of trust; the breakdown in the institutions charged with caring for the weak and the dependent. It reveals a terrifying but all-too-real rip in the social fabric. Once again, Grafton opens up new territory with startling results.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,481,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible