T Is For Trespass by Sue Grafton

T Is For Trespass

by Sue Grafton

English (75)  Dutch (4)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (81)
Perhaps the only thing that disturbed me about this book is that I read too many reviews before starting that warned that I would be reading Grafton's "most disturbing" novel to date -- I therefore kept waiting, worriedly, for something to horrible and awful to happen. Many bad things happen, but nothing quite to the magnitude I thought... perhaps I've read worse. But that's certainly not Grafton's fault. This book departs from Grafton's usual style of letting her protagonist, Kinsey, tell the entire story and goes back and forth between Kinsey and the other main character. It's an interesting, thoughtful, page-turner, as most Grafton novels are. I certainly recommend it and am sad at the thought of waiting another year, or more, to read the next installment. ( )
  justacatandabook | Mar 9, 2016 |
I didn't enjoy this offering nearly as much as Grafton's earlier books in the series. Very dark and disturbing. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
I'd like to give this more than two stars actually. This was one of Grafton's better plot lines. The character dynamics were interesting, it had intense moments, and plenty of funny parts where Millhone's sarcasm and introspection seemed humorous rather than bitchy. The ending was kind of puttering but still unique and overall I'd say I liked the novel.

However, I can't really deal with how lightly Millhone as a character and Grafton as the writer and as someone who should have at least a minimal understanding of the weight of pedophilia in our society, portrayed a pedophile and interactions with said pedophile. Millhone's an ex cop, has plenty of cop connections as a PI, and yet she doesn't report the whereabouts of a known sex offender to anyone or that he's in violation by living smack in the midst of a school zone and daycare centers. Other than a civil conversation about the fact that he should have registered upon moving in which she gives him much more credit and respect than I could personally stomach, the issue is seemingly nil in her book. Though she makes a half-assed drive around the school zone and daycares in the area where this offender was last living thinking about all the offenders whose whereabouts aren't known to anyone...ooookay. Because that makes sense. Let's philosophize about your recently amped up knowledge of the situation instead of you actually doing anything to protect the kids your driving past, if not as an ex-cop who once swore an oath to protect than at least as a decent individual.

Yeah, it's a character in a book but it's a continuously weakly written one and throughout the series I've seriously struggled to see what the big fan base of Millhone novels sees in their favored heroine. I enjoy a flawed character, even a flawed heroine- there aren't many modern fiction novel readers who don't in some aspect. The moments of clumsiness, social awkwardness, and flat out idiocy can be quite human and endearing. But sometimes it's refreshing to see a character do the right thing in the right kind of circumstances.

I don't know, it just tainted what was actually one of the best Alphabet Novels I've read to date. Which was a big disappointment. ( )
  lemotamant898 | Jan 18, 2016 |
In T is for Trespass, Grafton tackles a subject not often pursued in novels, the vulnerability and abuse of the aged. She did it with her usual attention to detail and a righteous anger that grabbed me by the shirt collar and refused to let go. In some cases during the story, I forgot to breathe. (continue reading: http://www.theloopylibrarian.com/catching-up-with-kinsey-millhone-private-eye/) ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Sep 29, 2015 |
I got hooked on this series years ago and Sue Grafton does not disappoint ... it was fun visiting with old friends again.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Kinsey Millhone’s 20th case, which pits her against a creepy pair of abusers ... is one of her finest. ... Each of Kinsey’s cases stretches the private-eye formula in new ways. [T for Trespass], which reads like vintage Ruth Rendell, will bring shivers to every reader ...
added by Roycrofter | editKirkus' Reviews (Sep 15, 2007)

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elizabeth Gastiger, Keven Frantz, and Barbara Toohey, with admiration and affection
Prologue: I don't want to think about the predators of this world.

tres¥pass \'trespes\ n: a transgression of law involving one's obligations to God or to one's neighbor; a violation of moral law; an offense; a sin
-Webster's New International Dictionary, Second Edition, Unabridged

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:03 -0400)

trespass \'trespes\ n: a transgression of law involving one's obligations to God or to one's neighbor; a violation of moral law; an offense; a sin -Webster's New International Dictionary, Second Edition, Unabridged In what may be her most unsettling novel to date, Sue Grafton's T is for Trespass is also her most direct confrontation with the forces of evil. Beginning slowly with the day-to-day life of a private eye, Grafton suddenly shifts from the voice of Kinsey Millhone to that of Solana Rojas, introducing readers to a chilling sociopath. Rojas is not her birth name. It is an identity she cunningly stole, an identity that gives her access to private caregiving jobs. The true horror of the novel builds with excruciating tension as the reader foresees the awfulness that lies ahead. The suspense lies in whether Millhone will realize what is happening in time to intervene. Though set in the late eighties, T is for Trespass could not be more topical: identity theft; elder abuse; betrayal of trust; the breakdown in the institutions charged with caring for the weak and the dependent. It reveals a terrifying but all-too-real rip in the social fabric. Once again, Grafton opens up new territory with startling results.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible