In a Dry Season by Peter Robinson

In a Dry Season (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Peter Robinson

Member:katiekrug
Title:In a Dry Season
Authors:Peter Robinson (Author)
Info:Avon (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Fiction, contemporary, British, mystery

In a Dry Season by Peter Robinson (1999)

On Beulah Height by Reginald Hill (ehines)
    ehines: Another drowned village emerges and another murder investigation is launched.

English (28)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (30)
Didn't like this as well as some of the previous books in the series, but it's still a good read. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
This is probably the best Banks novel that I have read so far. The story line is filled with details from the past and the present that cleverly intertwine into a wonderful investigation. As you read, you are drawn into the story and wonderful characters that hold your interest right down to the last page. The sub-plot of his developing relationship with Sergeant Abbott as well as his disintegrating relationship with his ex-wife is an interesting part of the novel. If you haven't read Robinson, you don't know what you are missing. I'm looking forward to my next Robinson read. ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
A skeleton is found in a dried-up reservoir and the solution to the murder lies half a century in the past. This is a great installment in the series, partially because of the structure (we go back and forth in time) and partially because of the growth of the characters (DCI Banks dealing with his divorce as well as his new relationship with DS Cabbot). The mystery itself is well crafted, but the parts about life in Britain during WWII add an enormous amount of texture to the story which makes it particularly enjoyable.

One thing I have to mention is that the reader of the audio version hasn't quite understood who DCI Banks is and gives him a strong Yorkshire dialect, which makes him sound like a life-time Dales farmer rather than a London police officer, so it sounds like he's making fun of whoever he's talking to. So, read a paper version of this one rather than listen to it unless you want Banks to sound like he's mocking everyone. ( )
  -Eva- | Nov 12, 2015 |
With In a Dry Season, Peter Robinson creates a mostly suspenseful tale in which the much beleaguered DCI, Allan Banks and the freethinking DS Annie Cabbot grapple with a decades old murder, love, their own pasts and family ties. However, brevity is the soul of suspense as well as wit, and this books is not blessed with anything akin to brevity. While I found all facets of book, including the detectives' personal lives,intriguing there were many times when sections could have been neatly pared to achieve greater impact. Too often I found myself skipping bits tended to the overly ponderous. If this had not been the case I would have rated it more highly. Some ethical issues will make it excellent fodder for the book club ( )
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |

Peter Robinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
keith, ronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Dad and Averil,

Elaine and Mick,

and Adam and Nicola
AUGUST 1967

It was the Summer of Love and I had just buried my husband when I first went back to see the reservoir that had flooded my childhood village.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380794772, Mass Market Paperback)

Detective chief inspector Alan Banks is a walking midlife crisis, full of rage because of his recently failed marriage, a career crippled by a jealous superior, and problems with his son. In less skilled hands, Banks could have quickly become a royal pain, but Robinson makes him instead a very likable character, who is slightly baffled and bemused by his bad luck. When he criticizes his son Brian's decision to drop out of college to become a rock musician, Banks quickly regrets it--recognizing the same impulses that made him rebel against his own parents, and some of the pain he felt when a college friend died of a drug overdose. The realization that Brian's heavy-metal band is actually quite good brings genuine pleasure to a man whose idea of rock is Love's Forever Changes and other 1970s delights.

Banks is assigned to work on a case that the Yorkshire police department considers to be somewhat of a joke. The skeleton of a woman wrapped in World War II blackout curtains has been found in a dried-out reservoir. This man-made watering hole was a village--Hobbs End--that had been flooded many years earlier. Through the journal of a major player we realize early on who the dead woman is, but a large part of the fun is watching Banks and an edgy, attractive female cop put the pieces of the puzzle together. In a Dry Season is a stylish and gently reflective tale of secrets and lies.

Banks's other books include Wednesday's Child, Final Account, and Blood at the Root. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:23 -0400)

When a drought drains the local Thornfield Reservoir, uncovering a long-drowned small village and the skeleton of a murder victim from the 1940s, Detective Alan Banks and Detective Sergeant Annie Cabot are called in to investigate.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible