Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and…

Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)

by Tim Gunn, Kate Moloney (Author)

The Pocket Stylist: Behind-the-Scenes Expertise from a Fashion Pro on Creating Your Own Look by Kendall Farr (thewalkinggirl)
    thewalkinggirl: Contains more prescriptive advice that might be useful for those of us who are not clothing experts.

Alright, I admit it, I read these sorts of books occasionally. Reason I fessed up to this one? Tim Gunn is wonderful. He isn't trying to get you to buy some $600 shoes or purse. His emphasis is on the classics, something that a lot of people forget about these days.

This isn't a book about fashion, it's about being honest with yourself. And I can appreciate that. ( )
  cendri | May 30, 2014 |
Tim Gunn could (and should!) write big-worded instructional guides for all aspects of life, and I'd excitedly devour it.

Sure, you might already know how to dress yourself and not look like hell revisited. Maybe you don't care about style at all! Point being, if you derive any enjoyment from Tim Gunn whatsoever, such circumstances should not stop you from reading this book.

(for funzies: Pretend he is sitting at your kitchen table drinking coffee with you as you read.) ( )
  annmariestover | Apr 4, 2013 |
Ah, Tim Gunn. You would be in fear of my overstuffed closet and drawers. I will try to apply your advice to my clothing, but it is difficult. ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |
I just love, love, love Tim Gunn. He seems like such a sweet, flawless man, and this book is both endlessly encouraging but with a definite prod to get off your butt and "make it work!". ( )
  391 | Mar 21, 2013 |
I really liked this book. I'm sure you could find a more comprehensive volume that would cover more territory, and in more depth. But that's not why I like Tim Gunn. I like him because he's witty and erudite and that's a hard combination to find in fashion. He's not rude or sarcastic, he simply tells it like it is. He has pointed comments to make on contemporary American life, such as the tendency to wear sweat suits when traveling, pajamas in public, the ubiquitous and not always appropriate flip flop, and the equally ubiquitous bared midriff and Crack of Doom.

There's the usual list of wardrobe and personal care must-haves (trench-ish coat, boots, occasion-appropriate evening wear, perfume, exfoliant and moisturizer) and also a list of must-see films.

One quirk that I noticed he dropped in his most recent book, "Gunn's Golden Rules" is that he speaks in the royal "we." I have no way of knowing whether he was referring only to himself, or to his co-editor, Kate Moloney. It was quaintly old-fashioned in this book, but I'm glad he dropped it for his autobiographical book. Hopefully it won't make a comeback. ( )
  harrietbrown | Mar 18, 2011 |

Tim Gunnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moloney, KateAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

There seems to be no one more qualified or equipped to ponder or even, dare I say, dictate 'quality, taste, and style' than Tim." -Sarah Jessica Parker, actor/producer

Television has introduced the world to a new fashion authority: Tim Gunn. As Bravo's style mentor and Chair of the Fashion Design Department at Parsons The New School for Design, Tim delivers advice in a frank, witty, and authoritative manner that delights audiences.

Now readers can benefit from Tim's considerable fashion wisdom in Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style. He discusses every aspect of creating and maintaining your personal style: how to dress for various occasions, how to shop (from designer to chain to vintage stores), how to pick a fashion mentor, how to improve your posture, find the perfect fit, and more. He'll challenge every reader-whether a seasoned fashionista or a style neophyte-to "make it work!"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

Provides an invaluable guide for women of all ages on fashion and personal style. Hot topics include: how to dress for certain occasions (work, job interview, evening, cocktail party), how to shop (from designer to chain stores to vintage), how to mix your best fashion cocktail, accessories, the fashion lexicon, etc.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,559,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible