Mama Is a Miner by George Ella Lyon

Mama Is a Miner

by George Ella Lyon

I enjoyed reading this book because the characters and illustrations were well developed. This book is about a mother who is explaining to her daughter about the hard works she performs as a miner. For example the text mentions, "She [the mother] bends and sweats with Nikko and Dave while mud sucks at their rubber boots and their cap lights bob in the glittery dark like underground lightning bugs." Some of the text in the book also brings out a more poetic tone to add detail. For instance, when the mother is working underground the text states, "Firedamp, blackdamp, Fire Boss checks the air. Bad top, kettle bottom: don't go there." The big idea of this story is that the mother works very hard to provide for her family and the daughter acknowledges the effort her mom puts in for the family. The mother provides an excellent role model for her daughter. ( )
  breannaamos | Sep 12, 2016 |
A good story of a miner's family, from the perspective of mother and daughter. Some jobs are difficult, and others are hard, but being a miner is both. A lighthearted view of a dangerous job, yet frank and honest of the dangers, this book is best for a grade-school audience. ( )
  Ermina | Feb 25, 2016 |
Mama is a miner is about a girl who describes the difficult work her mother has to do as a miner. The mother has to go deep into the earth, and begin to spread rock dust. The mother bends and sweats, and one time one of the mother’s friend legs get hurt in the mine. The mother has to do this difficult job, so that she can provide money for her children. When I saw the cover of the book, I was attracted to it immediately. I was attracted to it because I had never seen women as miners. The book shows that women can work in the mines, and I like that. I always believed that it was too dangerous for a women to work in the mine, but this book showed me the opposite. As an activity for kids I would like to watch videos of mines, and ask students to describe in some sentences a mine. ( )
  memaldonado | Apr 19, 2015 |
Mama is a Miner is an encouraging story that offers a poetic twist on storytelling. The story begins with a little girl describing her mother's job as a miner and how her mother chose the job to support their family. This book would be nice to introduce to children to show them that women work in occupations that are considered male dominated. ( )
  jwesley | Feb 22, 2015 |
This book was a little hard to read as far as getting in the groove.But the message of the book was awesome. A mother working a job that was suppose to be a mans job to provide for her a family. ( )
  jforrest21 | Oct 1, 2014 |

Author and artist researched this book together in a coal mine in Harlan County, Kentucky. Like Mamma, they rode the mantrip and hiked to the working face, climbing through "windows" from passage to passage and experiencing the loss of light. Full-color paintings.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:06 -0400)

A mother describes her job working as a miner.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible