Treason by Orson Scott Card

Treason (1988)

by Orson Scott Card

1,037148,137 (3.81)1 / 30

Dit was gewoonweg een fantastisch boek, heb het in één ruk uitgelezen. ( )
  wvanruth | Oct 20, 2017 |
I have such a complicated relationship with Card. It's a love the way he tells stories/disappointed in his involvement with the homophobic National Organization for Marriage.

Treason was written before the Ender series, and shows the genesis of many themes and values Card explores in later works. His emphasis on mysticism and supernatural skills which depend on bonding with the Earth baffle me when taken in the context of his later political leanings.

I've struggled with how to approach my relationship with his work, knowing what an awful person he is. The best I've been able to come up with is to purchase on the secondary market so he doesn't get money from me. ( )
  AuntieClio | Mar 28, 2016 |
I very much enjoyed the first half of this book. I felt that it set up an interesting situation and characters: Lanik is a young man from a clan which has learned to genetically regenerate themselves, making them undefeatable in battle and virtually immortal. Unfortunately, sometimes the genetic modification goes wrong, and rather than just regenerating lost or damaged limbs, etc, the body keeps growing new parts, requiring surgery, becoming monstrous. Usually, those people are harvested for extra parts - which are sold offworld. But since Lanik was the heir, he is spared that fate - and merely exiled.
So far, so good.
Lanik goes on a quest to discover the secret of why a rival clan is acquiring unprecedented amounts of metal - which their planet lacks. What are they selling offworld? He meets a powerful black woman, a leader of her tribe, who causes him to re-evaluate his racial beliefs. She's a wonderful character.
But rather than stopping here, and tying the story together, at this point the book becomes formulaic and overblown.
Lanik travels from tribe to tribe, at each one acquiring some kind of superpower. (Each tribe is descended from one genius scientist who has passed on their secrets and abilities to their descendants - which is a pretty dumb concept in and of itself.) However, Lanik pretty much remains an arrogant bastard with a sense of entitlement. When he discovers he has been deceived, and that there is some sort of plot going on, rather than investigating the motivations and reasons behind the secret plan, he commits genocide against the tribe that the deceivers came from, and without consulting anyone, makes a decision that will affect everyone on the planet.
Card obviously wishes the reader to contemplate the moral decisions that Lanik has made, but I also got the feeling that Card thinks that Lanik was right, that his actions, although unpleasant, were justified by the strength of Lanik's convictions that what he was doing was the right thing for his planet. However, I disagree quite strongly - I do not believe that because someone is stronger, or believes themselves to be more enlightened, that they have the moral right to make major decisions for others. I also do not feel that the deaths of innocents are justified merely because those innocents belong to the same race or tribe as people that you perceive have done you wrong. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I'm not going to say this book doesn't have problems, but in spite of any problems it has, it is FUN. Lots and lots of fun. I wholeheartedly recommend this book. ( )
  Hegemellman | Apr 2, 2013 |
I like everything of Card's that I've read. This was just as good as most of his work. Very similar in some ways (young man + extraordinary powers + saves the world + questions regarding whether the world is worth saving) but still the world itself is very interesting and distinct.

Sure there are stereotypes and it's pretty clear what Card thinks about women and minorities and academics, but the science fiction part was interesting enough to make the mild moralizing and stereotyping bearable. ( )
  crazybatcow | Jul 18, 2011 |

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bury, FlorenceTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an expanded version of

To
My brother Bill, who lent me Catseye;
MaryJo, who led me to Bradbury's Body Electric;
Laura Dene, who put Asimov's Foundation in my hands;
Dale and Maria, who made me read the
Chronicles of Narnia;
and the libraries in
Santa Clara, California, and Mesa, Arizona,
who made it possible for me to find
Poul Anderson's "Call Me Joe"
and Lloyd Biggle's "Tunesmith,"
Andre Norton's Galactic Derelict
and Robert Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky:
You set me to dreaming.
I hope I don't wake up.
I was the last one to know what was happening to me.
Do NOT combine with "A Planet Called Treason" -- this book is a reworking of that earlier work, and roughly 10% of it is new material.

Lanik Mueller's birthright as heir to planet Treason's most powerful rulership will never be realized. He is a "rad" -- radical regenerative. A freak among people who can regenerate injured flesh... and trade extra body parts to the Offworld oppressors for iron. For, on a planet without hard metals -- or the means of escape -- iron is power in the race to build a spacecraft.
Iron is the promise of freedom -- which may never be fulfilled as Lanik uncovers a treacherous conspiracy beyond his imagination.
Now charged with a mission of conquest -- and exile -- Lanik devises a bold and dangerous plan... a quest that may finally break the vicious chain of rivalry and bloodshed that enslaves the people of Treason as the Offworld never could.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:55 -0400)

An unusually gifted man who has the power of self-healing and bodily regeneration as well as the ability to cause earthquakes and drain lakes is exiled on a primitive planet and leads a revolution against its Offworld oppressors.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,643,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible