Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Nightmare in Pink by John D. MacDonald

Nightmare in Pink (1964)

by John D. MacDonald

This is the second book I've read by MacDonald. Not quite as good as the first Travis McGee but still worth reading. Looking forward to the third. This author can really write. He is standard for action thrillers. ( )
  ikeman100 | Sep 15, 2018 |
Travis has a military buddy who is dying. He asks that Travis visit his daughter in NYC and investigate her husbands death. She has found 10,000 dollars and does not know where it came from. In the process Travis is nearly doomed to a life on drugs in a mental hospital. ( )
  pgabj | Aug 4, 2018 |
Nightmare in Pink is the second Travis McGee book, and I felt it was an improvement over the first. The action takes place in a new locale, namely New York, and Travis is drawn in to investigate the death of a soldier buddy's wife's partner who was mysteriously mugged and killed after claiming there were irregularities at his work.

Pretty good ending. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Apr 18, 2017 |
Early entry in what would be a long-running series. tough guy Travis McGee enforces his own brand of justice by forcing crooks to hand over half heir profits. in tis case the sexy sister of a friend has a link to high financial evil. At one point McGee ends up drugged a crooked mental hospital ( a favorite nightmare of mine) but he gets out killing several people with the place's illegal drugs in the process. In his day McGee was apparently intended to be gallant but his descriptions of women are grossly sexist by current standards. I like him more when I was a sex-starved adolescent. ( )
1 vote antiquary | Jul 26, 2015 |
I am undecided whether I like this series. The style is more of a hard-boiled mystery (not my favorite sub-genre) and the 1960s feel to the books is strong (especially regarding sex). However, Travis McGee himself I find intriguing -- he is the missing link between Robin Hood and the TV show Leverage. This is just the second book & I own something like 15 more of them, so I won't be giving up on the series yet! ( )
  leslie.98 | Feb 16, 2015 |
She worked in one of those Park Avenue buildings which tourists feel obligated to photograph.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449224147, Mass Market Paperback)

"A knight in slightly tarnished armor, " "the thinking man's Robin Hood, " McGee lives alone on his boat, the Busted Flush. Rejecting the modern world, adhering to a timeless sense of honor and obligation, he is more and less than a private eye. From the author of The Deep Blue Good-by. Original.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:08 -0400)

Travis McGee's investigation of a New York City murder leads him to uncover a carefully protected fraud involving lawyers, accountants, a drug conspiracy, and a ruthless mastermind.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,481,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible