Dreamsongs: Volume II by George R. R. Martin

Dreamsongs: Volume II

by George R. R. Martin

Series: Dreamsongs: A RRetrospective (2)

GRRM shows some good writing range with this compilation. In this book he talks about the old views that people used to have on what makes "Science Fiction" and GRRM has talked before about putting fiction in Genres, making distinctions between SCI-FI and FANTASY, etc. His view on it is that they are all just stories and the difference is whether they happen in a mideival setting, in space, or the modern world. His collection here proved that to me. I enjoyed virtually all of these stories, some more than others to be sure, but he surprised me by making me really enjoy a Werewolf story which is something I've never been into and also my favorite story in here, besides the Hedge Knight, Portraits of his Children. If you don't want to read through this entire collection, I can't judge you because it is quite long, but you must read The Hedge Knight, Portraits of his Children, and The Skin Trade at minimum. I'm not generally a fan of short fiction, but GRRM has opened my mind with this book and I will now be looking for more compilations and anthologies than I ever would have previously thought. One last thought, not necessarily good or bad, but you can see some of the trends in GRRM's writing here compared to his other works, some similar characters, and even, you guessed it, sex and incest. ( )
  masteryoda716 | Aug 31, 2016 |
(Review of both Book One and Book Two)
Got both of these anthologies from the library. Together, they're a great retrospective of Martin's career.
They're worth reading, for any Martin fan, even completists who've already read nearly everything in them, as Martin introduces and arranges the contents. His commentary on the stories is worth the price of admission alone.
It starts off with a hilarious (and, admittedly, hilariously bad) fantasy story first published in an independent fanzine when Martin was a teen... and quickly moves into his excellent sci-fi and horror stories, includes some TV scripts, and more recent short fiction. Nearly all of it is 5-star material, with, (in my opinion) the exception of the 'Wild Cards' material... but that's just me; I'm just not a fan of the superhero genre, even when it's well-done, socially relevant and gritty as hell. I just can't force myself to love it.
That's OK, though, because I love everything else here - and that's a lot to love - this collection is two big, thick books. Go read. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I borrowed this from my local library, looking for signposts into Martin's books after reading the "Song of Ice and Fire" series.

His splendid introduction to Section 4 ("The Heart In Conflict") is well worth a read: I loved this piece of rhetoric on perceived boundaries in storytelling.
  ten_floors_up | Mar 18, 2014 |
My favourites from this collection: The Glass Flower and The Hedge Knight. ( )
  Rinnreads | Sep 24, 2013 |
Despite two annoying Tuf Haviland stories, I enjoyed this volume. Some stories I’d read before, but I liked the Twilight Zone script and the anecdotes surrounding it, ditto the pilot that never got picked up. And I got Wild Cards nostalgia from those stories. The volume is rounded out with a few other stories that never became series, including one about a seriously skeezy werewolf and the PI whose father was killed by a “wild animal” and one set several generations before Game of Thrones. ( )
  rivkat | Sep 10, 2013 |

Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, George R. R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ojo, AdenreleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phipps, of course,
there is a road, no simple highway,
between the dawn and the dark of night.
I'm glad you're here to walk it with me.
My career is littered with the corpses of dead series.

A Taste of Tuf -- A Beast for Norn -- Guardians -- The Siren Song of Hollywood -- The Twilight Zone: "The Road Less Traveled" -- Doorways -- Doing the Wild Card Shuffle -- Shell Games -- From the Journal of Xavier Desmond -- The Heart in Conflict -- Under Siege -- The Skin Trade -- Unsound Variations -- The Glass Flower -- The Hedge Knight -- Portraits of His Children -- Bibliography by Leslie Kay Swigart.

Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, #1 New York Times bestselling author George R.R. Martin is a giant in the field of fantasy literature and one of the most exciting storytellers of our time. Now he delivers a rare treat for readers: a compendium of his shorter works, all collected into two stunning volumes, that offer fascinating insight into his journey from young writer to award-winning master.

Whether writing about werewolves, wizards, or outer space, George R.R. Martin is renowned for his versatility and expansive talent, highlighted in this dazzling collection. Included here, in Volume II, are acclaimed stories such as the World Fantasy Award-winner “The Skin Trade,” as well as the first novella in the Ice and Fire universe, “The Hedge Knight,” plus two never-before-published screenplays. Featuring extensive author commentary, Dreamsongs, Volume II; is an invaluable chronicle of a writer at the height of his creativity—and an unforgettable reading experience for fans old and new.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:50 -0400)

A collection of stories, novellas, teleplays, and commentary, features such works as "The Ice Dragon," "A Song for Lya," and "The Pear-Shaped Man."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,131,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible