Dreamsongs: Volume II by George R. R. Martin

Dreamsongs: Volume II

by George R. R. Martin

Series: Dreamsongs: A RRetrospective (2)

I borrowed this from my local library, looking for signposts into Martin's books after reading the "Song of Ice and Fire" series.

His splendid introduction to Section 4 ("The Heart In Conflict") is well worth a read: I loved this piece of rhetoric on perceived boundaries in storytelling.
  ten_floors_up | Mar 18, 2014 |
My favourites from this collection: The Glass Flower and The Hedge Knight. ( )
  Rinnreads | Sep 24, 2013 |
Despite two annoying Tuf Haviland stories, I enjoyed this volume. Some stories I’d read before, but I liked the Twilight Zone script and the anecdotes surrounding it, ditto the pilot that never got picked up. And I got Wild Cards nostalgia from those stories. The volume is rounded out with a few other stories that never became series, including one about a seriously skeezy werewolf and the PI whose father was killed by a “wild animal” and one set several generations before Game of Thrones. ( )
  rivkat | Sep 10, 2013 |
I really enjoyed all the stories in this book. I bought it because of The Hedge Knight, which is set in the same realm as his Song of Ice & Fire series, and I wasn't dissapointed. The other stories just made me more interested in his other works. I have a Wildcard book, and though it's not the first in the series, from the way he presented his Wildcard stories in this book, I shouldn't have a problem keeping up. I am alos interested in the characters of other authors. I also really loved the Haviland Tuf stories, and his take on werewolves was interesting too. I'd have to say my least favorite story was the one about chess, but that's only because I have no interest in chess. Overall, the story itself was still compelling, and I enjoyed the twist, I just wasn't interested in the technicalities of the game. I definitely want to get Volume I, and this book has given me an appreciation for Martin's work outside Ice & Fire. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Sep 6, 2011 |
A bit of a letdown in its first half: the Tuf stories are predictable (but still entertaining), the scripts seemed only average (Doorways reminded me of Sliders) and the Wild Cards exerpts suffer for being taken out of context. The latter half makes up for it however, with six excellent short stories that each have something going for them. This volume contains more of those great autobiographical introductions to each section, but the first volume was superior. ( )
  Cecrow | Mar 9, 2010 |

Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, George R. R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ojo, AdenreleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phipps, of course,
there is a road, no simple highway,
between the dawn and the dark of night.
I'm glad you're here to walk it with me.
My career is littered with the corpses of dead series.

A Taste of Tuf -- A Beast for Norn -- Guardians -- The Siren Song of Hollywood -- The Twilight Zone: "The Road Less Traveled" -- Doorways -- Doing the Wild Card Shuffle -- Shell Games -- From the Journal of Xavier Desmond -- The Heart in Conflict -- Under Siege -- The Skin Trade -- Unsound Variations -- The Glass Flower -- The Hedge Knight -- Portraits of His Children -- Bibliography by Leslie Kay Swigart.

Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, #1 New York Times bestselling author George R.R. Martin is a giant in the field of fantasy literature and one of the most exciting storytellers of our time. Now he delivers a rare treat for readers: a compendium of his shorter works, all collected into two stunning volumes, that offer fascinating insight into his journey from young writer to award-winning master.

Whether writing about werewolves, wizards, or outer space, George R.R. Martin is renowned for his versatility and expansive talent, highlighted in this dazzling collection. Included here, in Volume II, are acclaimed stories such as the World Fantasy Award-winner “The Skin Trade,” as well as the first novella in the Ice and Fire universe, “The Hedge Knight,” plus two never-before-published screenplays. Featuring extensive author commentary, Dreamsongs, Volume II; is an invaluable chronicle of a writer at the height of his creativity—and an unforgettable reading experience for fans old and new.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:34 -0400)

A collection of stories, novellas, teleplays, and commentary, features such works as "The Ice Dragon," "A Song for Lya," and "The Pear-Shaped Man."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,506,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible