Dreamsongs: Volume I by George R. R. Martin

Dreamsongs: Volume I

by George R. R. Martin

Series: Dreamsongs: A Retrospective (1)

Interesting to listen to some early and different works by George R R Martin. Honestly my favorite parts were George talking about himself and his experiences. a definite recommend for fans of the man! ( )
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
Most of the shorts were forgettable; their plots meandering and erratic. There were some wonderful kernels of stories that unfortunately never took seed. They seemed to just aimlessly conclude...the best example of this was, 'The Stone City.'
However, 'Bitterblooms', 'With Morning Comes Mistfall' and 'The Second Kind of Loneliness' hit closer to the mark...I'm hoping Volume II (with later, more developed works) has a better batting average. Oh, and, 'Only Kids Are Afraid of the Dark' was a really fun, energetic, and topical piece from the time period of Martin's life when he was obsessed with fanzines--my eight year old self LOVED IT. ( )
  apomonis | Jun 2, 2016 |
(Review of both Book One and Book Two)
Got both of these anthologies from the library. Together, they're a great retrospective of Martin's career.
They're worth reading, for any Martin fan, even completists who've already read nearly everything in them, as Martin introduces and arranges the contents. His commentary on the stories is worth the price of admission alone.
It starts off with a hilarious (and, admittedly, hilariously bad) fantasy story first published in an independent fanzine when Martin was a teen... and quickly moves into his excellent sci-fi and horror stories, includes some TV scripts, and more recent short fiction. Nearly all of it is 5-star material, with, (in my opinion) the exception of the 'Wild Cards' material... but that's just me; I'm just not a fan of the superhero genre, even when it's well-done, socially relevant and gritty as hell. I just can't force myself to love it.
That's OK, though, because I love everything else here - and that's a lot to love - this collection is two big, thick books. Go read. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
This collection begins with some juvenilia, which includes the opening lines “Darkness. Everywhere there was darkness. Grim, foreboding, omnipresent; it hung over the plain like a great stifling mantle.” And it keeps on in precisely that vein, eldritch horrors and everything! Also, a head explodes “like a watermelon hit by a battering ram.” I kid, but even then Martin knew how to commit. You definitely can see him getting better, though—learning to use the word-torrents for his own purposes; this collection has Sandkings, for example. Also, I liked finding out that, like me, he became a sf fan through Have Space Suit, Will Travel. ( )
  rivkat | Jul 30, 2012 |
reminded me of early L. Sprague de Camp. These short stories give you a glimpse into early crafting of Game of Thrones ( )
  revslick | Nov 27, 2011 |

Martin, George R. R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mendenhall, BarryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paul, AdrianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phipps, of course,
there is a road, no simple highway,
between the dawn and the dark of night.
I'm glad you're here to walk it with me.
Although he's been a major player in several different genres for more than thirty years, has won Hugo Awards, Nebula Awards, and World Fantasy Awards, George R. R. Martin has finally made it, beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Introduction by Gardner Dozois -- A four-color fanboy -- Only kids are afraid of the dark -- The fortress -- And death his legacy -- The filthy pro -- The hero -- The exit to San Breta -- The second kind of loneliness -- With morning comes mistfall -- The light of distant stars -- A song for Lya -- This tower of ashes -- And seven times never kill man -- The stone city -- Bitterblooms -- The way of cross and dragon -- The heirs of Turtle Castle -- The lonely songs of Laren Dorr -- The ice dragon -- In the lost lands -- Hybrids and horrors -- Meathouse man -- Remembering Melody -- Sandkings -- Nightflyers -- The monkey treatment -- The pear-shaped man.

Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, #1 New York Times bestselling author George R.R. Martin is a giant in the field of fantasy literature and one of the most exciting storytellers of our time. Now he delivers a rare treat for readers: a compendium of his shorter works, collected into two stunning volumes, that offer fascinating insight into his journey from young writer to award-winning master.

Gathered here, in Volume I, are the very best of George R.R. Martin’s early works, including never-before-published fan pieces, his Hugo, Nebula, and Bram Stoker Award-winning stories—plus the original novella The Ice Dragon, from which Martin’s New York Times bestselling children’s book of the same title originated. A dazzling array that features extensive author commentary, Dreamsongs, Volume I, is the perfect collection for both Martin devotees and a new generation of fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:27 -0400)

"Gathered here in Volume I are the very best of George R. R. Martin's early works, including never-before-published fan pieces, his Hugo, Nebula, and Bram Stoker awards-winning stories - plus the original novella The Ice Dragon, from which Martin's New York Times bestselling children's book of the same title originated."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,188,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible