A Sentimental Journey Through France and…

A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy (1768)

by Laurence Sterne

1,302208,674 (3.2)1 / 93

English (17)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (20)
Interesting fact (while I wait to write my review proper): Laurence Sterne met author Tobias Smollett (of 'The Expedition of Humphry Clinker' fame) in 1764. Sterne was struck by how critical Smollett was of the places he visited; so when Stern came to write A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy, the moaning and griping character of Smelfungus was modelled after Smollett; much in the same way John Cleese's modelled Basil Fawlty after a hotel manager who made the Python's lives miserable during filming some years earlier.
It is for this reason that I may one day put pen to paper myself. ;)

Ref: http://www.dictionary.com/e/s/12-insults-we-should-bring-back/#smellfungus
  Sylak | May 28, 2018 |
A Sentimental Journey is the story of a man traveling from England to France and back and his adventures, or should I say, his encounters during the trip. We don't get a lot of "travel" descriptions, but rather descriptions of the carriages he takes, how he hires them, his servant, and the ladies he meets and endeavors to get to know better on the journey. It is 'sentimental' in the sense of a journal of his sentiments towards the women, the servants, the places he goes. Fairly short. ( )
1 vote Marse | May 19, 2018 |
I was thoroughly puzzled by this book. There was no introduction and no conclusion, and the middle was all stream of consciousness type ramblings about random things that happened to our narrator, Yorick, as he traveled around France and Italy. This was not what I was expecting at all. Also, what little character development I was able to pick up all centered around how much Yorick likes the ladies. Not a very likable character. I have to give this one 2 stars for the confusion factor alone. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
253) A Sentimental Journey Laurence Sterne
★★★

This is a short novel namely because it is unfinished and while the full title mentions A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy we dont actually make it through France before ending abruptly at what is quite a comic scene.

This reminded me of Don Quixote Yorick (the sentimental traveller) is accompanied by his servant La Fleur and together they get into all kinds of misunderstandings, the most amusing of which is Yorick being mistaken for Shakespeares Yorick the Kings Jester.

I am glad the novel is unfinished as it means you dont have a chance to get bored it, unlike Don Quixote instead you are left with a humourous image in your mind and you can imagine how the journey to Italy proceeds. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
As I mentioned before about Laurence Sterne, after I have read his books I wish I could write like him! ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |

Read, Herbert EdwardEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallvé, ManelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woolf, VirginiaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
-- They order, said I, this matter better in France --

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140430261, Mass Market Paperback)

The crimson window-curtains... were drawn close; the sun was setting, and reflected through them so warm a tint into the fair fille de chambre's face, I thought she blush'd-the idea of it made me blush myself. We were quite alone; and that super-induced a second blush before the first could get off. -from "The Temptation" Laurence Sterne's revolutionary novel The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman (1760-1767) plays with time, space, narrative conceits, and the very concept of the novel itself-it has dramatically affected the course of English-language fiction in the centuries since, with works from writers such as James Joyce and Thomas Pynchon showing his influence. A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy (1768) is the thematic sequel, a tale of a minor character from Shandy that is its own frolic of experimental fiction. Though less well known than its celebrated predecessor, this is an equally startling and frantically imaginative work from a writer some consider a comic genius. This edition also features the collection The Journal to Eliza, Sterne's impishly coy diary of a separation from his mistress, as well as numerous letters Sterne wrote to a variety of correspondents, including his wife. Irish clergyman LAURENCE STERNE (1713¬-1768) also wrote the satire A Political Romance (1759) and published volumes of his sermons.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:09 -0400)

Mr. Yorick, the sentimental traveller, refrains from the customary reflections on monuments and landscapes. Instead, he focuses on his sweet and affectionate emotions, experiencing them everywhere he goes and with every creature who crosses his path - from bursts of sympathy for a caged bird and an abused donkey, to bonhomie among peasants at dinner and flirtation with women of every social degree. Closer in spirit to a novel than a travelogue, Mr. Yorick's account of his wanderings satirizes conventional travel books, and his comic mishaps along the path to tender emotions are as much a critique of pure sentiment as they are an exploration of human sympathy. Unabridged republication of the classic 1768 edition.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,010,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible