A Sentimental Journey and Other Writings…

A Sentimental Journey and Other Writings (Oxford World's Classics) (original 1768; edition 2008)

by Laurence Sterne

1,136177,202 (3.18)1 / 81
Member:sf25
Title:A Sentimental Journey and Other Writings (Oxford World's Classics)
Authors:Laurence Sterne
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (2008), Edition: New, Paperback, 320 pages

A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy by Laurence Sterne (1768)

English (15)  Dutch (2)  All languages (17)
I was thoroughly puzzled by this book. There was no introduction and no conclusion, and the middle was all stream of consciousness type ramblings about random things that happened to our narrator, Yorick, as he traveled around France and Italy. This was not what I was expecting at all. Also, what little character development I was able to pick up all centered around how much Yorick likes the ladies. Not a very likable character. I have to give this one 2 stars for the confusion factor alone. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
253) A Sentimental Journey Laurence Sterne

This is a short novel namely because it is unfinished and while the full title mentions A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy we dont actually make it through France before ending abruptly at what is quite a comic scene.

This reminded me of Don Quixote Yorick (the sentimental traveller) is accompanied by his servant La Fleur and together they get into all kinds of misunderstandings, the most amusing of which is Yorick being mistaken for Shakespeares Yorick the Kings Jester.

I am glad the novel is unfinished as it means you dont have a chance to get bored it, unlike Don Quixote instead you are left with a humourous image in your mind and you can imagine how the journey to Italy proceeds. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
As I mentioned before about Laurence Sterne, after I have read his books I wish I could write like him! ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |
Sometimes, you read a book that is widely acclaimed as a classic, a masterpiece, a part of the literary canon, and your reaction is "Eh", or possibly "Meh". That's my reaction to "A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy", which was a hit after it was published in 1768, and has been finding readers for almost 250 years. When something like this happens, I assume that the problem isn't with the novel, it's with me. I couldn't get involved in the book, but that may be because I depend too much on narrative tension, and not enough on just being there. Also, I couldn't figure out what was going on at times: again, I may be too literal. For those who like this sort of thing, this is clearly the sort of thing they like. Hats off to them: I am not up to it. ( )
  annbury | Feb 5, 2014 |
Another great example of why you need to really think about what a book's trying to do before you judge it. This is nice and subtle- on the one hand, it tugs the heart-strings unashamedly; on the other hand, it makes ruthless fun of you for having your heart-string tugged. Great stuff- unless you're expecting well rounded three dimensional characters and believable plot turns and a coherent narrative and so on. Not here, friendo. Here you get intriguing reflections on the general goodness/evilness of humankind, and jokes at the expense of people who think you can make general reflections on morality in that way. I wish he'd been able to add a couple of volumes to it; the whole enterprise is so clever and so much less brow-beating than Tristram Shandy that it might've ended up being one of the best books I'd read. As is, it's pretty darn-tootin good. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |

Sterne, Laurenceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lesser, AntonReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Read, Herbert EdwardEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallvé, ManelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woolf, VirginiaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
-- They order, said I, this matter better in France --

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140430261, Mass Market Paperback)

The crimson window-curtains... were drawn close; the sun was setting, and reflected through them so warm a tint into the fair fille de chambre's face, I thought she blush'd-the idea of it made me blush myself. We were quite alone; and that super-induced a second blush before the first could get off. -from "The Temptation" Laurence Sterne's revolutionary novel The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman (1760-1767) plays with time, space, narrative conceits, and the very concept of the novel itself-it has dramatically affected the course of English-language fiction in the centuries since, with works from writers such as James Joyce and Thomas Pynchon showing his influence. A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy (1768) is the thematic sequel, a tale of a minor character from Shandy that is its own frolic of experimental fiction. Though less well known than its celebrated predecessor, this is an equally startling and frantically imaginative work from a writer some consider a comic genius. This edition also features the collection The Journal to Eliza, Sterne's impishly coy diary of a separation from his mistress, as well as numerous letters Sterne wrote to a variety of correspondents, including his wife. Irish clergyman LAURENCE STERNE (1713¬-1768) also wrote the satire A Political Romance (1759) and published volumes of his sermons.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:09 -0400)

As the amiable Parson Yorick travels through France and Italy, he relishes his encounters with the men and women especially the pretty women he meets along the way. A novel without a typical plot, a journey without a physical destination, Sterne's witty and tender tale is a treasury of portraits, dramatic sketches, and philosophical musings.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible